NHL.TV / Center Ice Discussion [See the warning in OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
New thread for the new season, mind the following:

Please remember only discussion of legal activity is welcome. Therefore, ways to circumvent regional blackouts are not allowed. Posts prompting the use of illegal streams are not allowed.

Weber's Better
Jul 7, 2008
If they could just offer what MLB does I'd pay them whatever they wanted.

Every game, no blackouts.
Ability to easily pause, rewind the full game no matter when you tune in & ability to watch archived games.
Functional with chromecast.

Does anyone who's used it know how many boxes NHL currently checks?

mlaurence

Apr 4, 2008
Blackouts

I just quit Gamecenter after subscribing for many years. I'll admit, I was a beneficiary of a Gamecenter error that allowed me to watch home games, until the MLB takeover. Still, I would resubscribe this year if the blackout policy was like MLB.tv. There, you can watch games starting 90 minutes after the live event ended. With the NHL, you can't watch a local game for 48 hours after the end, which means if you want to watch at night, you can't see the game until 3 days later. That's absurd.

Someday soon, the sports leagues will have to figure out what to do with cord-cutters.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
It appears that with the transition from the old NHL app to the new NHL app made by MLB, they have cancelled early-bird pricing, and you're just not getting any discount at all for being a loyal subscriber. :shakehead You are simply charged last season's price on around September 16th each year. That's pretty disappointing, that they're no longer rewarding (early) subscriber loyalty.

But the price you are paying is the early bird price.

That's not what the email from the NHL says. It says something like, "You'll be charged the regular full-season price on or about September 16th every year, until you decide to cancel the subscription." :(

So to get the discount following year, I canceled my sub before the renewal kicked in then signed up with my discover card to get the discount.
That's what I'd definitely do if the NHL's website, anywhere at all, mentioned an "early bird" or "new subscriber" discount, but I can't see it anywhere. It appears to be just the regular full-season price, or nothing, in the "new MLB era". :(

should be around 118 with the discount which is not too bad.
I'd be fine with the $115 charged by the NHL (although I think that is an increase compared to last season), but that 20% of VAT charged on top of that, really is annoying. Of course, that is the European Union's fault, and has nothing to do with the NHL.

Also I see that they want you to change password this year , I wonder why?
That requirement was announced several months ago, and is part of a broader trend towards "ever stricter" (at least in theory) passwords. Apple forced me to change my password to a "stricter" one a couple of months ago, and I've just received a similar message from Dropbox, too.

linusandvarlamov

GO AVS GO !
Apr 2, 2014
Paris, France
Trying to update your CC info is ****ing impossible.

It is actually impossible. Once logged into your personal account, I don't think there is any tab that actually gives you the opportunity to look at your own credit card info. Or at least I haven't found it. I've actually had to contact customer service to ask them to take down the present credit card info they're using. It's mind-boggling !!

becky4015

Sep 11, 2014
If they could just offer what MLB does I'd pay them whatever they wanted.

Every game, no blackouts.
Ability to easily pause, rewind the full game no matter when you tune in & ability to watch archived games.
Functional with chromecast.

Does anyone who's used it know how many boxes NHL currently checks?
mlb has blackouts same as nhl

becky4015

Sep 11, 2014
They say they will stream preseason games for the first time ever, but I recall for the past several years they would show preseason games in the last 10 days before the season started. The big difference for me is that will give the 10 % off discover for existing game center subscribers. Once about 3 years go my subscription renewed and I saw I wasn't given the discover discount, I called up gamecenter and they stated oh, that is just for new subscribers who use discover, not existing subscriptions. So to get the discount following year, I canceled my sub before the renewal kicked in then signed up with my discover card to get the discount. So it will be nice this year to get the discount automatically, but i will be watching the price Im charged, should be around 118 with the discount which is not too bad. Also I see that they want you to change password this year , I wonder why?

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
It is actually impossible. Once logged into your personal account, I don't think there is any tab that actually gives you the opportunity to look at your own credit card info. Or at least I haven't found it. I've actually had to contact customer service to ask them to take down the present credit card info they're using. It's mind-boggling !!

It's ridiculous.

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
I live in Monmouth County, New Jersey and don't get CSN to watch the Flyers.

Last year I lived in DC and had no problem streaming the Flyers games in DC on Gamecenter, but when I came home it was blacking me out although I don't even get CSN. .

I'm not asking anyone to loop the system, I'm just curious as to if this is still going to be the case for the upcoming season.

Thank you.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
I just quit Gamecenter after subscribing for many years. I'll admit, I was a beneficiary of a Gamecenter error that allowed me to watch home games, until the MLB takeover. Still, I would resubscribe this year if the blackout policy was like MLB.tv. There, you can watch games starting 90 minutes after the live event ended. With the NHL, you can't watch a local game for 48 hours after the end, which means if you want to watch at night, you can't see the game until 3 days later. That's absurd.

Someday soon, the sports leagues will have to figure out what to do with cord-cutters.

Yes , the blackouts are frustrating . Luckily , there are only about 5 or 6 Bruins games that MIGHT be blacked out here in Nova Scotia . Waiting 48 hours is absolutely ridiculous.

joshyhockey26

Dec 6, 2015
st louis
They say they will stream preseason games for the first time ever, but I recall for the past several years they would show preseason games in the last 10 days before the season started. The big difference for me is that will give the 10 % off discover for existing game center subscribers. Once about 3 years go my subscription renewed and I saw I wasn't given the discover discount, I called up gamecenter and they stated oh, that is just for new subscribers who use discover, not existing subscriptions. So to get the discount following year, I canceled my sub before the renewal kicked in then signed up with my discover card to get the discount. So it will be nice this year to get the discount automatically, but i will be watching the price Im charged, should be around 118 with the discount which is not too bad. Also I see that they want you to change password this year , I wonder why?

Don't remember having preseason games the past two seasons. Though I could be wrong.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Ugh it's depressing. I hate NHL TV. Choppy streams, limited access, blackouts, it's disgusting how little care the league has for the fans they know are stuck between a rock and a hard place. Here is an opportunity to do something forward thinking and still make large profits- instead the market is as convoluted and unfair as ever. I miss streams so bad...

Weber's Better
Jul 7, 2008
mlb has blackouts same as nhl

oh maybe because i'm not in a market, but I haven't encountered any.

Can anyone please point me in the best direction to find out how blackouts work for Nova Scotia?

Rogers site is very confusing when discussing it

Last edited:

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
Ugh it's depressing. I hate NHL TV. Choppy streams, limited access, blackouts, it's disgusting how little care the league has for the fans they know are stuck between a rock and a hard place. Here is an opportunity to do something forward thinking and still make large profits- instead the market is as convoluted and unfair as ever. I miss streams so bad...

My streams were perfect last year , what are you watching the games on ? I use Apple TV with an Ethernet cable connected to the modem and the picture is perfect .

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I used all of a Roku, two PCs, android phone, pc with the Kodi app, and the only one that worked at all was Kodi, even then the dvr stuff didn't work and I still had the occasional hiccups. Internet speed isn't an issue, I stream at 1080p with no issues with every other service.

If there's a free trial I'd try it out, but if not I'd hesitate to pay for more than a month. For cable cutters, even though it won't give you all the games, sling tv now has some markets local fox sports channels, so you can watch your local games there.

ThunderD

Jan 29, 2016

Can anyone please point me in the best direction to find out how blackouts work for Nova Scotia?

No local teams in Nova Scotia maybe. I am in Buffalo now and not only do both NY teams get blacked out on the extra innings package, someone bought out the rights to the Indians and the Pirates games so they get blacked out too. Extremely frustrating if the Jays are playing any of those 4 teams.

becky4015

Sep 11, 2014

The local teams for nova scotia are the ottawa senators and montreal canadiens.

becky4015

Sep 11, 2014
I also noticed the canadian package is 179.99 and that is the early bird price where the U.S. price is 131.49, they probably know demand is so much higher in canada and charge accordingly.

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
i also noticed the canadian package is 179.99 and that is the early bird price where the u.s. Price is 131.49, they probably know demand is so much higher in canada and charge accordingly.

179.99 cad = 138.94 usd

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
I'm planning to subscribe for the first time in awhile.

I'm rather confused about everything. What is the differences between NHL Center Ice, NHL Game Center and NHL.TV?

I'd like to be able to watch every game in the country at the same time from the same account on multiple TVs.

The NHL is lazy, they haven't updated any of their literature since the last time I subscribed in 2014. I am their target demographic and I'm confused about their products. All I want to do is throw money at them and they're making it difficult for me.

Thanks for starting this thread and making it a sticky Sniper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad