NHL.TV / Center Ice / ESPN+ Discussion - Part IV [See the warning in OP]

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I talked to a senior Comcast executive in the Northeast about the availability of Center Ice in 2021/22 and he told me on Monday he doesn't know.

In Demand's contract with the NHL ended with the conclusion of the 2021 season and now ESPN+ has the rights going forward.

In Demand was popular as many fans enjoyed seeing local commercials unlike NHL.tv and its static

EsD1qTvXAAEnovq.png

He expects to know more after Labor Day

Reactions: FMichael

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
I talked to a senior Comcast executive in the Northeast about the availability of Center Ice in 2021/22 and he told me on Monday he doesn't know.

In Demand's contract with the NHL ended with the conclusion of the 2021 season and now ESPN+ has the rights going forward.

In Demand was popular as many fans enjoyed seeing local commercials unlike NHL.tv and its static

EsD1qTvXAAEnovq.png

He expects to know more after Labor Day
Not surprising really...I'll miss Center Ice for I've had it many years.

Now with an 'exclusive' 75 games on ESPN+ I'm not sure what the Center Ice package will do...I get the impression many like myself will end up switching over to the ESPN+/Disney streaming package to avoid missing games.

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
I know it costs a little more to do Center Ice w/Directv, but I always preferred it. If I can't get it this year, I'll be disappointed because I watch multiple games simultaneously and don't want to purchase multiple streaming boxes, I already have four Directv boxes in my basement.

Reactions: PaulD and FMichael

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
I know it costs a little more to do Center Ice w/Directv, but I always preferred it. If I can't get it this year, I'll be disappointed because I watch multiple games simultaneously and don't want to purchase multiple streaming boxes, I already have four Directv boxes in my basement.

Are you a collector?

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Must agree here - NHL Center Ice has been nice and easy...If the game wasn't on CI - then check ESPN/OLN/VS/NBCSN.

4 boxes :amazed:

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Thank heavens I don't live in blackouts-obsessed America. :rolleyes:

Make the subscription as complicated as possible, and make all hockey games as hard to reach as possible – I'm sure that's the recipe for success for the NHL. Not.
Now with ESPN+/Disney getting exclusive rights for 75 games this upcoming season - I'm not sure if it's all about growing the game here in Murica as it is lining their pockets with $$$.

Reactions: Faterson

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
Centre Ice in Canada is no longer a thing? I have just logged into my Bell account to make sure I did not have it on auto renew and got this message when I unticked the box

This package is no longer offered
Please select an item to add.
If you remove NHL Centre Ice from your line-up, you will lose it permanently.

I have read the post above about Sportsnet Now + and NHL Live, I guess those will be our only options this upcoming season?

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
Could I get a general overview for the situation for US folks?

*I have the NHL app on Roku/mobile. Will the app continue to exist without showing NHL games? Do I need to contact them to make sure I am not automatically re-subscribed to the service if it isn't showing NHL games?

*Will ESPN+ basically show every NHL game, just like the NHL TV service did?

*Turner will basically be what NBC has been, some exclusive regular season games and the playoffs?

Thanks.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
Going off all that, the fact I live in Montreal yet want to watch anything but the Habs, NHL Live is what I need. I have my normal TSN/Sportsnet channels on my TV. A major downside for me to SN Now+ is that you cannot watch via Roku. At least NHL Live has its own App on Roku.
does nhl live through roku offer home-away feeds ?also are there many issues or are most games you watch problem free . I've been with bell c-ice which has been good but expensive so I'm willing to give the other option a try (through roku)

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
does nhl live through roku offer home-away feeds ?also are there many issues or are most games you watch problem free . I've been with bell c-ice which has been good but expensive so I'm willing to give the other option a try (through roku)

I have never had the service but I do know someone who has @Scandale du Jour . Hopefully he can answer the questions.

Sure can.

I do use NHL Live through Roku and, yes, you can choose your feed.

I have a great internet connection, so I very rarely have problems. The app itself had a problem at the end of the season. I had to log off each time, delete and re-install to watch a game. The problem has been fixed. Took a little while though and both Roku and the NHL blamed the other.

We can watch multiple games on multiple screens. Never did more than two, so I would not know the limit.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
Could I get a general overview for the situation for US folks?

*I have the NHL app on Roku/mobile. Will the app continue to exist without showing NHL games? Do I need to contact them to make sure I am not automatically re-subscribed to the service if it isn't showing NHL games?

*Will ESPN+ basically show every NHL game, just like the NHL TV service did?

*Turner will basically be what NBC has been, some exclusive regular season games and the playoffs?

Thanks.

I called NHL TV. For US subscribers there will not be anymore automatic re-subscriptions which was my primary concern.

The app will still exist and be updated with news clips, so for all the team pages whatever things would get uploaded will continue to do so.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I talked to a representative the other day in terms of the NHL Relationship with ESPN + and it basically said if you subscribe to ESPN + you get the 75 game package and you get the out of market package as well. That's a hell of a subscription price for all that. I know Disney doesn't need to worry about losing money, but a 69.99 annual subscription for the out of market package and basically everything else they offer is a pretty good deal.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
I talked to a representative the other day in terms of the NHL Relationship with ESPN + and it basically said if you subscribe to ESPN + you get the 75 game package and you get the out of market package as well. That's a hell of a subscription price for all that. I know Disney doesn't need to worry about losing money, but a 69.99 annual subscription for the out of market package and basically everything else they offer is a pretty good deal.
That does sound very enticing!

I just need to man up and go thru with cutting the cord from DirecTV...I'd like to add some streaming channels to watch though along with ESPN+...YouTube TV appears to have some solid packages available to subscribe to.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
Sure can.

I do use NHL Live through Roku and, yes, you can choose your feed.

I have a great internet connection, so I very rarely have problems. The app itself had a problem at the end of the season. I had to log off each time, delete and re-install to watch a game. The problem has been fixed. Took a little while though and both Roku and the NHL blamed the other.

We can watch multiple games on multiple screens. Never did more than two, so I would not know the limit.
whats considered a great internet connection for live sports ? I'm new to streaming through Roku and so far no issues watching programs on netflix or crave tv etc . On the Roku settings page I'm able to test my mbps and they come in anywhere from 27 to 37 . Theres just 2 people in the house that might be streaming at same time (me watching nhl games and my wife watching netflix or something like that)

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
whats considered a great internet connection for live sports ? I'm new to streaming through Roku and so far no issues watching programs on netflix or crave tv etc . On the Roku settings page I'm able to test my mbps and they come in anywhere from 27 to 37 . Theres just 2 people in the house that might be streaming at same time (me watching nhl games and my wife watching netflix or something like that)

My connection is 100 mbs.

I can stream 3 things at the same time AND play on my phone with no problem at all.

I can stream 2 baseball games and play PS4 online at the same time while listening to a podcast on my phone (not downloading it, but streaming it).

I guess your connection would work for Game Center, but it could get laggy. I am no expert in internet speed though.

Reactions: Isles72

Mach2

Jan 15, 2021
I called NHL TV. For US subscribers there will not be anymore automatic re-subscriptions which was my primary concern...
I recommend you access the NHL site, and cancel the automatic subscription renewal, if it's still possible to do so.
When this last season ended, and we learned that NHL awarded the upcoming season coverage to ESPN, I quickly went to the NHL site and un-checked the box for automatic subscription renewal. During this past season, NHL.TV had a some hiccups impacting subscription renewals, so I opted not to take a chance on them messing it up again.
Now just waiting to see where and when I will need to sign up for the coming season.

Reactions: elchud and FMichael

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
That does sound very enticing!

I just need to man up and go thru with cutting the cord from DirecTV...I'd like to add some streaming channels to watch though along with ESPN+...YouTube TV appears to have some solid packages available to subscribe to.

If you think about it, going from a Satellite to an internet cable will be cord adding, not cutting.

Reactions: Tanic and FMichael

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad