Pre-Game Talk: NHL Trade Deadline - Wednesday March 5 @ 12 noon PST - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Acquiring Ehrhoff really only makes sense if we ship out a top four defenseman (Edler being the likely candidate). And even then, does that fit with the re-tool/re-build mentality? I like him a lot, but he's 31.

I don't even see the point of reacquiring Ehrhoff unless it is to play with Edler. That's the only reason I'd want him back because of how good they were together.

Garrison-Ehrhoff just doesn't do it for me.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
People have mentioned that it may be easier to just get value and worry about position later.

If next year is expected to be a rebuilding year with Horvat getting time on the roster, then the team doesn't really need to get a top 6 center back. You resign Santorelli for 2-3 years and let him and Schroeder compete for the second line center role.

Now, Phillie is a team that should be interested in Kesler, and has 4 centers that could be top 6 centers right now (Giroux, Schenn, Couturier and Lecavelier are all over 40 pt paces right now), so they have some appropriate assets that could give Canucks a center back while being the best value. But if you can get better quality overall, go for it.

I also think that if the Canucks can get a bit more value by taking a cap dump, they should at this point. If Edler and Kesler are on the way out, they can afford it. If taking Bickell is the cost to bring back TT and Saad from Chicago, you do it. Rebuilding teams with money can afford to overpay third liners.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
If next year is expected to be a rebuilding year with Horvat getting time on the roster, then the team doesn't really need to get a top 6 center back. You resign Santorelli for 2-3 years and let him and Schroeder compete for the second line center role.

Now, Phillie is a team that should be interested in Kesler, and has 4 centers that could be top 6 centers right now (Giroux, Schenn, Couturier and Lecavelier are all over 40 pt paces right now), so they have some appropriate assets that could give Canucks a center back while being the best value. But if you can get better quality overall, go for it.

I also think that if the Canucks can get a bit more value by taking a cap dump, they should at this point. If Edler and Kesler are on the way out, they can afford it. If taking Bickell is the cost to bring back TT and Saad from Chicago, you do it. Rebuilding teams with money can afford to overpay third liners.

Wait, if Philly has 4 centers on a top 6 pace why do they need Kesler at all?

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
I don't even see the point of reacquiring Ehrhoff unless it is to play with Edler. That's the only reason I'd want him back because of how good they were together.

Garrison-Ehrhoff just doesn't do it for me.

Ehrhoff is a much more flexible player than Edler (works with more players, and works on both sides), and improves the entire team's transition game. I'd do an Edler for Ehrhoff swap even though Edler is probably better overall, just because Ehrhoff is a better fit in my opinion. I imagine Ehrhoff - Garrison would play together on the powerplay, but Ehrhoff could play with whoever at even strength.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Wait, if Philly has 4 centers on a top 6 pace why do they need Kesler at all?

Well....one of Schenn and Lecavelier is having to play out of position and they aren't particularly good at it (both have visibly struggled at wing), while Kesler can fit as a top line winger. Kesler is also clearly the second best center on that team.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Well....one of Schenn and Lecavelier is having to play out of position and they aren't particularly good at it (both have visibly struggled at wing), while Kesler can fit as a top line winger. Kesler is also clearly the second best center on that team.

I'd be all over one of Schenn or Couturier for Edler. I dunno about the value though.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Dan Girardi just re-signed with the Rangers which may drive up Edler's value as Girardi was supposed to be the 'best' d-man available at the deadline.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Laughton is underwhelming to me. I really don't understand the hype about him and I think Gaunce is better. Hagg is meh.

Honestly anything I'd want from Philly for Edler is unmoveable apparently.

DCantheDDad

DisplacedNuckfan
Jul 1, 2013
Edmonton
I'm not very impressed with Laughton. I wouldn't want to see him coming back for either edler or kesler, even as a secondary piece

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Flyers fan offer for Edler:

I really like that offer. Laughton is solid and Hagg projects to be a very Edler-like d-man.

For Edler, I don't mind that type of return (maybe a late 2nd or early 3rd added to that?). That would actually be quite a solid 'stock the cupboards' type trade.

arsmaster*

Price just went up on all our dmen.

Wouldn't be surprised if Bieksa is willing to move as well, if they're also shopping his good buddy, Kesler.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Price just went up on all our dmen.

Wouldn't be surprised if Bieksa is willing to move as well, if they're also shopping his good buddy, Kesler.

Yes, I could see Bieksa waving to Detroit, Toronto, Ottawa or Montreal..All would have good pieces for him

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Again, I don't think Edler's moving anywhere. I don't think MG will move Kesler and Edler at the same time. Kesler and Bieksa more likely. Especially since Diaz looks really good and Tanev is back.

Wetcoaster

Pierre LeBrun with some thoughts on the trade deadline for some teams.
http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=nhl&id=29339&src=desktop&wjb

On Vancouver:

No shortage of teams interested in Canucks center Ryan Kesler, and you can add Philadelphia to that list. Mind you, the Flyers could be just as interested in Canucks defenseman Alexander Edler.

Have to imagine that the Canucks’ asking price in any Kesler deal would start with Brayden Schenn, and I’m not sure the Flyers would go there.

Edler would actually address Philly’s more pressing need, upgrading its blue line. But again, how much does Vancouver want?

Good friend Rob Rossi of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review tweeted Thursday night that he believes the Penguins talked to Vancouver about Kesler, as well. I wrote Thursday about Detroit and Columbus as obvious fits.

Again, when it comes to Kesler, who has two more years on his deal at a bargain $5 million per year, there is lots of interest.

This is Vancouver’s big chip to play, whether it’s now or in June, in terms of reshaping their roster and getting younger without going into a full-blown rebuild.​

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Again, I don't think Edler's moving anywhere. I don't think MG will move Kesler and Edler at the same time. Kesler and Bieksa more likely. Especially since Diaz looks really good and Tanev is back.

I think trading Bieksa leaves a gaping hole in our defence in terms of toughness and aggression.

The only reason you trade Bieksa is because the young talent you get back is too good to say no to.

I wonder if we could flip Bieksa and bring in a young kid like Tinordi as part of that deal or in a separate deal to give the defence a tougher flavour...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad