Pre-Game Talk: NHL Trade Deadline - Wednesday March 5 @ 12 noon PST - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wetcoaster

Part 1: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1611381

LET'S MAKE A DEAL - I think I'll take what's behind the curtain, Monty.

LETS_MAKE_A_DEAL-01.jpg

It is that time of year again when we find out who are buyers, who are sellers and who stands pat.

And the sports channels go into mind numbing detail, like the pizza that has been ordered in for the talking heads while they wait for the first trade. Riveting stuff.

tsn-tradecentre-iphone_65451.jpg

The TSN Trade Centre is up and running with a nifty countdown clock. On March 5, 2014 they begin their continuous coverage at 5am PST "Live on TSN, TSN.ca and TSN Radio". For a live show traditionally it has been pretty dead, eh?

There are a number of articles, a list of who may be in play, a trade tracker, etc, at the website.

A primer on the two conferences:

NHL Trade Deadline Playbook: Western Conference

NHL Trade Deadline Playbook: Western Conference

What do the prognosticators at TSN have to say about YOUR VANCOUVER CANUCKS?

VANCOUVER CANUCKS
UFA in 2014: Mike Santorelli, Raphael Diaz, Andrew Alberts.

RFA in 2014: Zack Kassian, Jordan Schroeder, Zac Dalpe, Chris Tanev, Yannick Weber.

Top Prospects:
Bo Horvat, C, London (OHL)
Brendan Gaunce, C, Erie (OHL)
Hunter Shinkaruk, C, Medicine Hat (WHL)
Nicklas Jensen, RW, Utica (AHL)
Frank Corrado, D, Utica (AHL)

Others of Interest: David Booth, Jannik Hansen, Cole Cassels.

No-Trade Clauses: Daniel Sedin, Henrik Sedin, Ryan Kesler, Alex Burrows, Chris Higgins (limited), Alexander Edler, Kevin Bieksa, Jason Garrison, Dan Hamhuis, Roberto Luongo.

The Plan: Careening over a cliff before the break, the Canucks went from solidly in the playoffs to the outside looking in and have several injuries to deal with.

If number one C Henrik Sedin isn't healthy soon -- and he was unable to play in the Olympics -- the nthe Canucks might as well start selling because they could use offensive upgrades even with a healthy roster. Minus Sedin, that would be a pointless exercise.

Should the Canucks become sellers, perhaps their most attractive asset to trade would be a legitimate top four defenceman, though the quartet of Kevin Bieksa, Alexander Edler, Jason Garrison and Dan Hamhuis all have no-trade contracts.​

And here are twitter feeds for the TSN personalities:
tsn_on_twitter-649x100.jpg

http://www.tsn.ca/twitter/

And over at Sportsnet, Rogers pulls out the big guns and if the past is any indication fires blanks.
Trade_Deadline_banner_990x190.png

http://www.sportsnet.ca/events/nhl-trade-deadline/

You can even vote on who won a trade... Yowzers!!!
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl-trades/trade-tracker/

So who won the trade between CBJ and the Bruins? The Blew Jackets acquired Carter Camper and sent Blake Parlett to Beantown.

And in a never before heard rumour the Canucks are looking for someone to play with Ryan Kesler. And GMMG will make hard decisions at the deadline... or maybe not.

Vancouver Canucks GM Mike Gillis addressed the state of his franchise on local radio Monday. Other than verbalizing the obvious -- the league's 23rd-best offence needs Henrik Sedin to get healthy and wants some second-line scoring help for 20-goal man Ryan Kesler -- Gillis was purposely vague. I love this quote: "We might make hard decisions or none."​
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...ens-sabres-flames-canucks-panthers-islanders/

NHL Trade Deadline: Every team’s needs

NHL Trade Deadline: Vancouver Canucks team needs
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-trades/nhl-trade-deadline-vancouver-canucks-team-needs/

Those are a lot of broken parts, but the miracle is that the Canucks sit just outside the eighth spot in the West. If they manage to get healthy, the season can be somewhat salvaged in the final stretch. It’s one last round, battered and bruised — a final chance to land a knockout, before the Canucks flop to the mat for good.​

Personally I think a trip to partake of the legendary healing powers of the spring in Lourdes should be first on the list of needs.

Last edited by a moderator:

John Bender*

Man david Pratt is an idiot. Bro jake is the voice of reason right now.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
@Bleach Clean

Bozwell (an oilers fan) posted this
the Edmonton oilers were willing to take on the Luongo contract knowing full well there would be recapture issues on the grand scale (for those who were not following the rumours--oilers and nucks had serious talks about both Luongo and Schneider--but Gillis reportedly wanted one of Hall, Nuge or Eberle and the 2013 first round pick)

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
@Bleach Clean

I thought it was pretty well established that the price this summer for Schneider to the Oilers was their 1st + Klefbom (and I seem to remember a 2nd). Luongo obviously would have had a lower price, so this seems like a fabricated rumour.

The recapture risk for Luongo is pretty much all on the Canucks anyways. For other teams, it's mostly a performance risk at this point.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
I thought it was pretty well established that the price this summer for Schneider to the Oilers was their 1st + Klefbom (and I seem to remember a 2nd). Luongo obviously would have had a lower price, so this seems like a fabricated rumour.

The recapture risk for Luongo is pretty much all on the Canucks anyways. For other teams, it's mostly a performance risk at this point.

As do I.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
@Bleach Clean

Thanks for following up. Yeah, that seems rather out there. I do wonder if Lu would actually waive to go just anywhere, or if he is set still on FLA... It would speak to just wanting to leave here versus getting closer to home.

Nuckles, appreciate all the twitter links.

Last edited:

canucksfan100

Apr 3, 2007
Really hope we start the retool/rebuild

Kesler for 1st, NHL Roster Player(21-23YO), Prospect
Edler for NHL Roster Player(21-23YO), Top Prospect/Mid 1st

Some Players that Fit NHL Roster Player parameter:
MIN: Nino/Granlund
DET: Nyquist/Tatar/Jurco
CBJ: Boone Jenner
NYR: Stepan
PHI: Couturier
STL: Tarasenko
PIT: Bennett
TB: Kutcherov

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Really hope we start the retool/rebuild

Kesler for 1st, NHL Roster Player(21-23YO), Prospect
Edler for NHL Roster Player(21-23YO), Top Prospect/Mid 1st

Some Players that Fit NHL Roster Player parameter:
MIN: Nino/Granlund
DET: Nyquist/Tatar/Jurco
CBJ: Boone Jenner
NYR: Stepan
PHI: Couturier
STL: Tarasenko
PIT: Bennett
TB: Kutcherov

Add Wennberg from CBJ

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
I think Stepan, Granlund and Couturier stand out from some of the others there - if those players come back, I don't think there's 3 pieces for the Canucks (Stepan and Couturier are close to 1 for 1, Granlund probably needs a small +).

Stepan in my mind is the best single piece the Canucks could get back. He's essentially a low end 1st line player at this point already. I'd be pretty happy with Stepan for Kesler.

John Bender*

I think Stepan, Granlund and Couturier stand out from some of the others there - if those players come back, I don't think there's 3 pieces for the Canucks (Stepan and Couturier are close to 1 for 1, Granlund probably needs a small +).

Stepan in my mind is the best single piece the Canucks could get back. He's essentially a low end 1st line player at this point already. I'd be pretty happy with Stepan for Kesler.

Kesler and hansen for schenn and couturier.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

I thought the same. NYR is still one of the teams interested in Kesler too. However, it was pointed out to me that Kesler would not want to play for AV again. Sources: Gallagher and Botchford, I believe.

arsmaster*

I thought the same. NYR is still one of the teams interested in Kesler too. However, it was pointed out to me that Kesler would not want to play for AV again. Sources: Gallagher and Botchford, I believe.

Stepan sure, because his offensive has already translated to the NHL. Not Couturier. He would need an accompaniment to attain Kesler.

I quite like Couturier, just not 1 for 1 for Kesler.

canucksfan100

Apr 3, 2007
I would love the following
MIN: Nino + Coyle
PHI: Couturier + Laughton
CBJ: Jenner + Wennberg + Pick
TB: Kutcherov + Namestnikov + Pick
DET: Jurco/Tatar + Mantha + Pick
STL: Tarasenko + Rattie/Jaskin + Pick

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Dan Murphy too.

Murphy too? Dang. I can see not liking a coach, but Kesler may be taking this a bit far...

Stepan sure, because his offensive has already translated to the NHL. Not Couturier. He would need an accompaniment to attain Kesler.

I quite like Couturier, just not 1 for 1 for Kesler.

Yeah, I can agree with that. I wouldn't do it straight up for Couturier either.

I really think the best value to VAN is potentially getting 2 centres back. Like Wennberg and Dubinsky. That kind of deal resolves centre now and later... And Kesler is the type of rare asset that could command something like this.

People have mentioned that it may be easier to just get value and worry about position later. I'm not so sure I agree because teams can unduly covet a position that indirectly devalues your asset by comparison. For example, PHI hoards centres. Trying to get Holmgren to see that a goalie/Dman is just as valuable, with the differences in position taken into account, could be a very difficult thing to do. However, by that same logic, Holmgren might be more open to giving up a centre for a centre.

Long story short, target centres if possible.

arsmaster*

I would love the following
MIN: Nino + Coyle
PHI: Couturier + Laughton
CBJ: Jenner + Wennberg + Pick
TB: Kutcherov + Namestnikov + Pick
DET: Jurco/Tatar + Mantha + Pick
STL: Tarasenko + Rattie/Jaskin + Pick

I like the bolds. Doubt they're realistic. Also like the Blues offer, just see that being far less realistic.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
^Murphy was the first one to report that he doubted Kesler would waive to play for AV again. He doesn't often chime in with "insider" bits like that, but when he does, it's usually accurate.

I can see why Kesler may have an issue. Vigneault used the media a few times to call out Kesler, with respect to playing through injury (something that got on Willie Mitchell's nerves as well, it was not an isolated incident) and about using his teammates more (which, while accurate, is the kind of thing you say to one of your star players rather than letting them read about it in the papers).

Wetcoaster

The Hoff may be available.

Globe Hockey ‏@globehockey
Sabres defenceman Ehrhoff submits eight team no-trade list.

Add Buffalo Sabres defenceman Christian Ehrhoff to the list of players the team is considering dealing before the NHL’s trade deadline.

Ehrhoff revealed Friday that he recently complied with the Sabres’ request to submit a list of eight teams that would make up the no-trade clause of his contract. He declined to reveal the teams on the list.​
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...ist/article17164711/?cmpid=rss1&click=dlvr.it

John Bender*

The Hoff may be available.

Globe Hockey ‏@globehockey
Sabres defenceman Ehrhoff submits eight team no-trade list.

Add Buffalo Sabres defenceman Christian Ehrhoff to the list of players the team is considering dealing before the NHL’s trade deadline.

Ehrhoff revealed Friday that he recently complied with the Sabres’ request to submit a list of eight teams that would make up the no-trade clause of his contract. He declined to reveal the teams on the list.​
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...ist/article17164711/?cmpid=rss1&click=dlvr.it

I like the Hoff. Like him a lot.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Acquiring Ehrhoff really only makes sense if we ship out a top four defenseman (Edler being the likely candidate). And even then, does that fit with the re-tool/re-build mentality? I like him a lot, but he's 31.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad