NHL Trade Deadline - Post-Game thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
I wasn't indicating this is 1/2 youth, but many are clamoring for it to be that way and mad it isn't.
No worries.

I think some are more voicing their opinions about the bait-and-switch of it being implied the front office was taking a "new approach" and was serious about "developing youth and giving them a chance" only to see the inexperienced guys in and out of the lineup and returned to Milwaukee (Evangelista being the Lone Ranger exception). The new boss looks the same as the old boss.

It's not all bad. We've been playing better than a bubble team and once you're in the tournament who knows what will happen.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
No worries.

I think some are more voicing their opinions about the bait-and-switch of it being implied the front office was taking a "new approach" and was serious about "developing youth and giving them a chance" only to see the inexperienced guys in and out of the lineup and returned to Milwaukee (Evangelista being the Lone Ranger exception). The new boss looks the same as the old boss.

It's not all bad. We've been playing better than a bubble team and once you're in the tournament who knows what will happen.
Outside of one year we know exactly what will happen, we get bounced in the first round and told how good that is for the owners.

Reactions: hockey diva

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
The kids are playing fairly well in Milwaukee. The trades result in one permascratch on the blue line, two up front meaning the team has some wiggle room in respect to the limited regular call-ups between now and mid-April. Oh, and the team is winning which is the organizational goal every season.

Reactions: Soundgarden

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
One more thing about Johansen, IF the Flyers buy him out, it becomes an accounting change. Instead of 'retained salary' it becomes 'buyout money' frees a retained salary spot for Nashville.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
One more thing about Johansen, IF the Flyers buy him out, it becomes an accounting change. Instead of 'retained salary' it becomes 'buyout money' frees a retained salary spot for Nashville.
So would the timeframe that he is paid change to buyout timeframe, and would the cap hit also become less but for two years instead of one?

BigFatCat999

Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
So would the timeframe that he is paid change to buyout timeframe, and would the cap hit also become less but for two years instead of one?

it would go from a 'retained salary' of 4 mil next year to a 'buyout' of 1,366,666 for 2 yrs. It would give Nashville more cap next year. Also, Philly is REALLY tight on the cap next yr.

Also Nashville will have 7! picks in the top 96 in the draft.

Last edited:

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
it would go from a 'retained salary' of 4 mil next year to a 'buyout' of 1,366,666 for 2 yrs. It would give Nashville more cap next year. Also, Philly is REALLY tight on the cap next yr.

Also Nashville will have 7! picks in the top 96 in the draft.
Really like the idea that Philly has to help us in order to help themselves

Reactions: Kat Predator

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
To go along with this, he suddenly is too injured to report to the AHL. This could play a wrinkle into the possible buyout.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
He will need to prove he is too injured to report, I can't imagine they are just going to let that go.
Players are more willings to deal with pain when playing NHL games than after being sent to the minors. After being traded and waived, id need a pretty good reason to skate through the pain

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Johansen LTIR retiring would be preferable to a buyout for the Flyers I would think. Would him going on LTIR mean anything for our cap hit?

BigFatCat999

Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
@BigFatCat999 where is the 7th pick? The 3rd from Colorado is a 2025

Sure, doc

1710080577178.png

That was the Aiden Fink trade, AKA Poile's last pick.

1710080644445.png

Yup, 2025

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Sure, doc

View attachment 833689

That was the Aiden Fink trade, AKA Poile's last pick.

View attachment 833690

Yup, 2025
Sorry I should have been more clear. You said we had seven picks in the top 96, and I only count six(our first, our second plus Tampa and Winnipeg seconds, our third plus Dallas third) so I was wondering where the 7th top 96 pick had come from, and I was assuming you thought the third we got for Trenin was this year

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
The vortex of experience, inexperience, more talent, less talent begins.

Let me give an example. Legwand comes to the team with high pedigree and no experience. Granted, we were an expansion team but Poile had guys like Johnson and Fitzgerald as mentors for him. All well and good because they were cerebral players who knew how to play the 200' game but lacked the offensive skill set to help him accel. It wasn't until Kariya came along that we saw the best in Legwand.

In a lot of ways, we see the same effect ROR is having on Fil. Fil has been a great player for us over the years, however, I don't think any of us have ever seen him play at this level for an entire season like he has. I feel like he's graduated to an elite-level forward.

Rosters need to have the right blend of experience and talent. Chicago won multiple Cups while Toews and Kane were both young. Toews has those legendary intangibles. Kane was well Kane. They also supplemented their roster with guys like Sharp, Ladd and Hossa.

Then you have a team like the Oilers who have arguably the two best players in the world and they have had little playoff success. TML is another case of 4 top players in the league on their roster with no playoff success. Then on the flip side, you have the Avs, who were not good for a long time, struggled with MacKinnon on their roster and then developed into the team they are today.

Bringing in ROR and Gus were stellar moves. I think they're teaching the young kids what it takes to get it done. I think it sucks that some of them are now in Milwaukee. I think it's most beneficial to Evangelista as I think he's going to be the heart and soul of this team in the future. Can't put my finger on it but he has a swagger about him that I don't get from the other youngsters. I hope the message of how to play the 200 ft game gets thru to Tomasino. I hope being in Milwaukee lights a fire in Parssinen that turns him into a giant beast full of rage that can never be knocked off the puck.

I can't argue with this year's results. Is it what I thought it would be, no but I have been entertained and that's what I was needing. Maybe with the expectation set by Bruno and Trotz, paired with the success we're having will have an effect on the kids. It wouldn't surprise though if the line of Svechkov, Kemell and L'Hereux come up together and pass Tomasino and Parssinen in the depth chart.

Watching the game yesterday, I think the additions of Beauvillier and Zucker were good adds. They bring pace, some physicality and offensive skill to the lineup.

I'm going to try and enjoy the rest of the season without too many complaints. That can always change on roster choices. Hope everyone enjoys the rest of the ride this year.

And by the way, Lankinen was on fire yesterday.

BigFatCat999

Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Sorry I should have been more clear. You said we had seven picks in the top 96, and I only count six(our first, our second plus Tampa and Winnipeg seconds, our third plus Dallas third) so I was wondering where the 7th top 96 pick had come from, and I was assuming you thought the third we got for Trenin was this year

No problem. I have high intelligence autism. I *assume* the communication problem is mine. here's the list of picks:

1710083673132.png

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
2024 draft gonna be fun. 9 picks in the first 4 rounds. Can pretty much zone out from there. I guess we could trade back in on the later rounds but meh
I expect Trotz to do a lot of moving around with those - trading up, flipping 3rd this year for 2nds next year, etc. If we do better than expected in the playoffs this year, wouldn't shock me to see him trade a few of those for a win-now type player too.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I'm at the point where filling in spots with vets and blocking the kids' path is more of a disappointment in the kids not stepping up and taking a firm grasp on those roles. Nobody should be gifted ice time, roster spots and salary based on draft position or potential/expectations.

Worse is when they're not doing at 3-4 years, it's not impossible or even rare to make a career after 5-6 years post-draft, it's just very unlikely that those players will be real difference makers. The star players in the league tend to step in immediately or after 1-2 seasons. A lot of our youth should still become NHL players, but maybe a reset on expectations are in order for a few of them.

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
I get the frustration on younger players being sent to Milwaukee but right now, especially if Nashville holds on and makes the Playoffs which looks likely, would you rather them suffer a potential confidence breaking first round exit to one of the better teams in the West? Or would you rather them work on their game on a loaded-Calder Cup favored team in the AHL? Personally I think thats what Trotz is doing currently. Parssinen and Tomasino/etc have things that the staff wants them to work on, and they must want them to work on it getting top lines minutes in the AHL rather than having them only getting ten or so minutes in the NHL. I dont necessarily like it but its understandable. To me, if those younger players are still in the AHL next season while the NHL/AHL tweeners are still on the main roster, then there's an issue.

Have to remember also, guys like McCarron/Jankowski getting re-signed means nothing, because they are easily waiveable next season if/when the younger players push them out of the lineup.

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
I’m not too worried about Parssinen. The organization appears to want him at Center and he’s getting to play top 6 center in Milwaukee every game. That’s experience he would never be getting on the Nashville roster. Having him in Milwaukee is a good choice for the time being.

Reactions: Soundgarden
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad