NHL Trade Deadline - Post-Game thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
I believe Trotz will be very active at the deadline. For reference, here are our draft picks:

1st
2nd
2nd (TB)
2nd (WPG)
3rd
3rd (DAL)
4th
4th (EDM)
4th (CHI)
5th
6th (DAL)

Preds traded their 6th and 7th.

Last edited:

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
We are still very much in the Wild Card race but we are really trending hard in the wrong direction in 2024. Atleast Saros seems to be going the right direction again...

Expiring assests (ufas)
Guiranov - late round (maybe)
Trenin - mid round
Novak - mid round maybe a 2nd
McCarron - late rounnd maybe
Sherwood - late round
Barrie - late round at 50% retention
Carrier - mid round but probably keep
Lankinen - late pick
Jankowski - nothing
Gross - nothing
McKeown - nothing
Gravel - nothing

Other assets
Fabbro - mid round pick or other similar change of scenery prospect
Capspace

As long as we are fringe, i think we might do some light tinkering and resetting the deck chairs for next season but dont foresee anything too dramatic.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I thought going into the season Novak would be a potential trade due to us not wanting to sign him long term, but now I see him taking another 1-2 year deal to try and prove himself for a bigger deal down the line. Trenin similarly I thought could have potential deadline value but I don't think he's really worth much at this point. If we're out of the playoff hunt maybe we move Nyquist but given his play I think we hold onto him for another season.

The biggest move I could see is if an RFA aged player come available from teams out of contention. I could see us packaging some picks/prospects to try and get a young guy that is more NHL ready. Not sure who exactly is out there that fits that category (Pinto or Zegras maybe?) but that would be the only major trade I could see and even then I feel its unlikely.

It's Trotz first solo deadline though so who knows how it will go. Poile was an awful buyer and a great seller so will be interesting to see how Trotz can do.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
NFW we are trading Novak unless its part of a bigger package like Saros+Novak for a bonafide young 1st line center
Saros + Novak doesn't get you that. Novak hasn't proved he is consistently good enough for that kind of return yet. Not saying he won't get there, but he hasn't yet.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I think we'll be moving on from at least Trenin, one or two RHD's (Barrie, Carrier and/or Fabbro).

Novak, too, if we'll get a good offer from him. I don't think Trotz regards him as a core piece moving forward.

Reactions: AtlantaWhaler

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Novak, too, if we'll get a good offer from him. I don't think Trotz regards him as a core piece moving forward.
I'm not sure I consider Novak a core piece but we also sort of need him as a stopgap or will have to sign/trade for someone else. Glass and Parsinnen have struggled a lot this season and neither look ready to be 2C and Svechkov still needs at least a couple years of development time. From that perspective even though Novak's stock has dropped some this year I think he's actually more necessary to the team than I thought going into the season.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I'm not sure I consider Novak a core piece but we also sort of need him as a stopgap or will have to sign/trade for someone else. Glass and Parsinnen have struggled a lot this season and neither look ready to be 2C and Svechkov still needs at least a couple years of development time. From that perspective even though Novak's stock has dropped some this year I think he's actually more necessary to the team than I thought going into the season.
If Svechkov needs a couple more years of development before he's ready for the NHL, he's likely not going to be a top 6 center.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Tage Thomson kindof begs to have a word with your assessment. Sure he was rushed into the NHL and had 100+ NHL games during his ELC but he struggles until he took his big step at age 24. He played some AHL games in the two previous seasons before breaking out. He wasnt a top 6 center until he took that big step.

Svechkov is 20. He could use a year or two of development in the AHL and still be along the same development timeline. I dont think rushing some of these players to the NHL is beneficial to them. It leads to Glass like situations where they just get shuffled around in the lineup if they arent ready for the load or shuffled between AHL/NHL.

Reactions: Flgatorguy87

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Tage Thomson kindof begs to have a word with your assessment. Sure he was rushed into the NHL and had 100+ NHL games during his ELC but he struggles until he took his big step at age 24. He played some AHL games in the two previous seasons before breaking out. He wasnt a top 6 center until he took that big step.

Svechkov is 20. He could use a year or two of development in the AHL and still be along the same development timeline. I dont think rushing some of these players to the NHL is beneficial to them. It leads to Glass like situations where they just get shuffled around in the lineup if they arent ready for the load or shuffled between AHL/NHL.
6'6'' players Normally are slower developing. Svechkov isn't that. if he's not up next year or the year after. ill doubt his talent

Reactions: glenngineer

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I don't think Svechkov will be a top-six center in the NHL. Not enough offense in his game.

A good middle-six center, though.

beardawg

Feb 12, 2015
Washington, DC
Barrie, Trenin, Fabbro are the most likely candidates. Novak stays and extends. I liked some ideas I saw people floating about Kuzmenko for Fabbro. I think I'm holding onto all the draft picks through the deadline if I'm Trotz

Reactions: hockey diva

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
he has out produced my expectations this season

probably not a first line center but i could see him
being a 15g 40 assist type of guy
Oh, don't get me wrong, I've been completely pleased with his development as well. He's playing 3C in Milwaukee with limited PP time and this is also his 1st year in NA.

Still, he's putting up 0.69 points per game.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I'll say this, it's pretty exciting to have 9 picks in the first 4 rounds.
Not saying that's not the case but what we need is high-end talent.

I feel like, depth-wise, we're in a good place with our prospect pool. But, the elite talent is lacking. I do believe Trotz will accumulate assets in this TDL and leverage them in the draft to move up.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Not saying that's not the case but what we need is high-end talent.

I feel like, depth-wise, we're in a good place with our prospect pool. But, the elite talent is lacking. I do believe Trotz will accumulate assets in this TDL and leverage them in the draft to move up.
Totally. I definitely don't think all 9+ picks just stay where they are. I meant that it's great to have the assets, not just the actual picks themselves.

Reactions: Scoresberg

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Im really hoping Trotz does something we havent seen Poile do much of before. Capfriendly is showing us as having just over 18 million in "current cap space". Take on an expiring contract or two and send them to milwuakee to help others facilitate trades for picks or something similar. Use our capspace and try and get a couple picks out of it.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I agree. I think we need to be working hard to concentrate our picks. That inevitably means less chances at hitting on guys, but we can't just keep drafting middle 6 talent guys.

Reactions: Scoresberg
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad