NHL Trade Deadline - April 12th at 3 PM. ET -TSN/ESPN+ 8 AM, NHLN 10 AM, ESPN2 2 PM, NESN+ 2:30 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
cut.jpg

Trade Tracker

TSN in Canada will start coverage at 8 AM, Sportsnet at NOON

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
My gut tells me we see something completely outside the box / not what any of us are expecting.

---------------------------------------------

How Kyle Palmieri trade to Islanders impacts Bruins before deadline

The Bruins' main focus at the deadline should be adding a veteran defenseman, preferably of the top-four variety. But if they choose to cash in their best assets for a forward, there are still some intriguing names to target.
Here's a quick rundown:
  • Conor Garland, RW, Coyotes: His 5-on-5 scoring would significantly help the B's, but the Coyotes are in a playoff spot so there's no real incentive for them to sell at the deadline.
  • Taylor Hall, LW, Sabres: Two goals in 37 games is pretty bad, but he likely would be more productive surrounded by better players and rejuvenated by playing on a team making a playoff push. He also has the motivation of playing for a new contract this summer.
  • Mike Hoffman, LW, Blues: Hoffman was a free agent very late into the offseason before joining the Blues on a tryout. He's not a great defensive forward but his scoring ability -- six consecutive 20-goal seasons entering 2021 -- is impressive.
  • Mikael Granlund, LW/C, Predators: Granlund is a versatile forward who would add a scoring punch to Boston's bottom-six group. The Predators are in the playoff race but Granlund is a eligible for free agency in the summer.
  • Rickard Rakell, LW, Ducks: A skilled forward whose offensive production has declined over the last two years, but he did tally back-to-back 30-goal seasons in 2016-17 and 2017-18. Rakell has another year left on his contract, so he's not a rental option.
What will deadline prices be like?

We haven't seen many trades yet. The Palmieri deal was the first big one close to the deadline. This isn't an uncommon scenario because general managers typically wait as long as they can to see if asking prices eventually drop as the deadline nears.
NHL trade deadline targets: 10 players Bruins should pursue to upgrade roster

What are prices like right now?
“Teams would like me to pay full freight, essentially normal historical trade deadline prices, for what amounts to a half tank of gas,” a general manager told TSN's Frank Seravalli last week.
The Islanders basically gave up a first-round pick and a conditional fourth-rounder to get Palmieri and Zajac. The two players sent to the Devils are AHLers and unlikely to make much of an impact for New Jersey long-term.
Even if other pieces were involved, the Devils getting a first-round pick for Palmieri could make other GMs from selling teams more likely to demand one for their players. The Bruins should be hesitant to give up a first-round pick, considering they've trade two over the last three years and their prospect pool is among the league's worst.
B's general manager Don Sweeney has mostly made depth additions when acquiring forwards at the trade deadline. Notable names include Charlie Coyle, Marcus Johansson, Nick Ritche, Tommy Wingels, Drew Stafford and Lee Stempniak.
If the price for someone like Palmieri is a first-round pick, it would make more sense for the B's to pay a lesser price for a depth forward. This Bruins team is not good enough to warrant giving up a first-rounder for a rental.

Last edited:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I have Merrill in the HF SIM league so I pay extra attention to him when I watch Detroit

he’s another no offensive guy - he’s solid and I certainly like over some we have short term. He’s very dependable and good decision-maker and Cassidy would love him.

he’s a guy the Avalanche or Vegas should get

he is worth a second to them but not us

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Wally you want me to stop weighing in so this is only the Freidman etc stuff

Thanks

I can do stuff around house lol

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Thanks

Thanks

Im pretty open to valid rumors and deals.
Same rules as always and forever, anyone not site vetted that posts ‘I heard’ without a link or source will be deleted. ( to start).

If the Bruins actually make a deal we will go with a separate deal specific thread.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Im pretty open to valid rumors and deals.
Same rules as always and forever, anyone not site vetted that posts ‘I heard’ without a link or source will be deleted. ( to start).

If the Bruins actually make a deal we will go with a separate deal specific thread.
Ok I’ll keep the thread free of my crap so people don’t have to search threw my posts lol

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
@Over the volcano Yes Sweeney makes moves, but he goes cheap bargaining.

Have we not have the top6 issue going back to the day he got the job?
This isn’t a team that’s depth player away from challenging Tampa or Colorado.
This is a quality player or 2 away from it.

We are pretty much looking at as Hall as the last option right now for offense, addition who could be good enough to make a difference.
Then you need to add more on top of it.

But completely expecting Sweeney to land another 3rd liner on the cheap hoping him to turn into top6 player all of a sudden.

The clock is ticking pretty fast with the golden core

Reactions: Gordoff and TCB

badbrewin

Sponsor
Jan 13, 2007
Montreal
Assuming the Rangers don't slide into the 4th spot, the B's are a 1st round oust and Sweeney knows it. This is not a team that's missing 1-2 pieces to make a run.

Take it on the chin, stand pat and keep what little prospects we have and start playing them...it's time for an engine rebuild, not a tune up. A rebuild can be tough during a 3-4 year stretch but it's focused on being competitive for a number of years after that.

In a regular season with gate and concession revenues, I could see Sweeney pulling a couple of moves in hopes of competing given the revenue upside, but there's not much incentive in a pandemic season with 2,000 fans in the stands.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese