GDT: NHL Trade Deadline 2017 - 1PM

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
If Hradek got that inte from our side I doubt it. If he got it on good authority from outside our organization than I can fully understand this. I'll never know, so it's time to move on.

Palmer2Fitz

Oct 2, 2015
Seems pretty simple here. We need some actual NHL players to help develop our young guys and some names the casual fan will recognize. If Chayka was offered a 1st or a solid prospect then he'd have no choice but to do the deal. Chayka thought Vrbata was worth more to the future of this team then what he was offered. If we were only offered a 3rd then I 100% agree with Chaykas decision.

We are most likely gonna finish 2nd too last no matter what, so no need to tank. Our focus should be on developing our team for next year.

rt

May 13, 2004
Nah. That's absolutely no excuse for a decision like this.

If it's that trading him would **** him off and the whole reason he agreed to that bonus structure was to avoid being traddd and he's willing to give us yet another sweetheart deal to stay and the best we could get was a 3rd rounder than it's fine.

Any reason that involves THIS season is no reason at all.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site

If it's that trading him would **** him off and the whole reason he agreed to that bonus structure was to avoid being traddd and he's willing to give us yet another sweetheart deal to stay and the best we could get was a 3rd rounder than it's fine.

Should we do a poll on whether we should have done a deal for a 3rd?

rt

May 13, 2004
If getting third burns a bridge or makes us look bad and not getting a 3rd allows us to curry favor in some way than the latter is fine. Especially if it sends a message to players that we take of ours and a message to GMs that we're not to be ****ed with.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
If the offer was only a third, and Vrbata said he'd resign but doesn't want to be traded, cool. We'll need him next year.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014

I agree. I look forward to having him around to settle all the young players, which hopefully will include Strome, Fischer and Keller on the front end and Wood on the back end.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I think a couple of things came into play here.

I watched Vrbata's interview and he seemed very adamant in not wanting to go anywhere. I realize he doesn't have a no trade but we did him a solid here. He has a one year old and didn't want to spend eight weeks in Pittsburgh or wherever.

I think he'll remember that when it comes time to re-sign him. After the expansion of course, so we don't have to burn up a protection slot. One year for two or three million.

Reports are our asking price was a 2nd and that wasn't met. I think the talk of fear of his bonuses was a factor, as minimal as they are.

I'm also curious if other clubs are iffy on Vrbata working outside of Arizona. He's had his best years here and hasn't been great elsewhere. I realize his first year in Vancouver went well but that was pretty much painted over by his second year there.

Question now is do we make Vrbata an alternate captain when we bring him back next season.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona

I watched Vrbata's interview and he seemed very adamant in not wanting to go anywhere. I realize he doesn't have a no trade but we did him a solid here. He has a one year old and didn't want to spend eight weeks in Pittsburgh or wherever.

I think he'll remember that when it comes time to re-sign him. After the expansion of course, so we don't have to burn up a protection slot. One year for two or three million.

Reports are our asking price was a 2nd and that wasn't met. I think the talk of fear of his bonuses was a factor, as minimal as they are.

I'm also curious if other clubs are iffy on Vrbata working outside of Arizona. He's had his best years here and hasn't been great elsewhere. I realize his first year in Vancouver went well but that was pretty much painted over by his second year there.

Question now is do we make Vrbata an alternate captain when we bring him back next season.

No doubt. He's earned it. :handclap:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
No doubt. He's earned it. :handclap:

He's a very quiet guy from all reports so I don't think that's a good idea. Goligoski sure as **** hasn't earned it, though.

After Doan, they should just see who emerges as the leader. My money would be on Domi finding his voice in that room.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

I watched that interview and I agree with you. I did not want Vrbata back for this year because of our rebuild, but with Hanzal gone and probably Doan, we do need vets for leadership.

cobra427

May 6, 2012

Nice post. I also think it is important for the team to play well and grow as a group the rest of the season. Keeping Verby will help with that, losing Hanzal will hurt us. Continuity is important, we can;t just mail it in the rest of the way, this is a chance for the team to grow, Verby is part of that.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I'm also curious if other clubs are iffy on Vrbata working outside of Arizona. He's had his best years here and hasn't been great elsewhere.

He only plays well with high quality linemates and outstanding coaching. :rolleyes:

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Chayka tells Doug and Wolf that he would have moved Vrbata if he had indicated he wanted to go chase a Cup, and that if the offered trade return had been more significant they would have made the move and "[dealt] with it in the summer."

Not sure if that helps anyone, but there it is.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Vrbata is soft as warm butter. I don't even want him back let alone wearing the A. If Doan isn't back, Domi-C OEL-A and unless we bring in a stud FA that deserves it, Schenn, Crouse or Dvo with the other A.

rt

May 13, 2004
Chayka tells Doug and Wolf that he would have moved Vrbata if he had indicated he wanted to go chase a Cup, and that if the offered trade return had been more significant they would have made the move and "[dealt] with it in the summer."

Not sure if that helps anyone, but there it is.

This is a reasonable explanation. Burn the bridge for a big return. Don't burn the bridge for a paltry one. I get it.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
He's a very quiet guy from all reports so I don't think that's a good idea. Goligoski sure as **** hasn't earned it, though.

After Doan, they should just see who emerges as the leader. My money would be on Domi finding his voice in that room.

Just because someone is quiet doesn't mean he can't be a leader. Some lead by example better than with words. Sometimes, you get the entire package, a la Doan.

I really think that if Dvorak continues with his trend, he would be an excellent captain. Doesn't say much because he doesn't have to. There is little that can faze him, and I could very easily see him being captain material.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Just because someone is quiet doesn't mean he can't be a leader. Some lead by example better than with words. Sometimes, you get the entire package, a la Doan.

I really think that if Dvorak continues with his trend, he would be an excellent captain. Doesn't say much because he doesn't have to. There is little that can faze him, and I could very easily see him being captain material.

From what I can gather Dvorak plays the game with intensity. He doesn't seem to have a lightness to him, never smiles. He plays almost angry. As a captain would have to dial down the intensity to calm the room at times. I think that he has to get a bit older and less intense to make a good captain. As an "A" he would be great though.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016

It sounded like he is either going to resign here or go back to the Czech Republic. His family by far the most important thing to him. And if he does resign it sounds like he plans on only playing one more season.
Vrbata is soft as warm butter. I don't even want him back let alone wearing the A. If Doan isn't back, Domi-C OEL-A and unless we bring in a stud FA that deserves it, Schenn, Crouse or Dvo with the other A.

Well Vrbata does have the A now. I have no issue with it at all. Goligoski hasn't earned it, and there's not really any other quality vets on the team.

I don't want any of Schenn, Crouse or Dvo getting the other A next season. Schenn is a 6/7 dman, Crouse is only going to be 20, and Dvo is too quiet/reserved. HE only just became comfortable in the NHL in the last month or so.

I think Dvorak could make for a good assistant in the future but it's way too early for that. If we're going with a lead-by-example guy for captain it's gonna be OEL.

For next season I'd either go with all A's, or make OEL captain, give Domi an A, Vrby the other A, or if he doesn't return give it to Richardson.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Martinook. He's captain material. He keeps the room loose, already earns a ton of respect from the room, has a ton of personality and is smooth with the media but he plays hard and never takes a game off. He has the intangibles to make a great captain.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Martinook. He's captain material. He keeps the room loose, already earns a ton of respect from the room, has a ton of personality and is smooth with the media but he plays hard and never takes a game off. He has the intangibles to make a great captain.

Maybe as an A for next season, but you don't make bottom 6 players captains. Only exceptions would be if they're old veterans and it's a stop-gap until you give a young skilled player the C in a season or two.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad