GDT: NHL Trade Deadline 2017 - 1PM

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Offensively this year absolutely. Stafford is actually a pretty good player. He's a player I've always liked. It's criminal to give him away for a 6th. That's desperation

He has been awful recently, which is reflected in his almost zero value, but great narrative building on your part nonetheless.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Maybe they reached some verbal agreement with Vrbata for a new contract and thought he wouldn't come back if traded? It's the only thing I can think that makes any sense at all.

I'm pretty confident they could have gotten a 2nd.

The most logical explanation to me is Chayka wants to extend Vrbata for next season. And he thought it was worth passing up the draft pick to increase the odds of inking him to a reasonable deal.

I'm not sure whether this is true or even if it makes sense to me, but this is the best explanation I've come up with, too.

I'm sure Chayka would have moved him for a certain price, but perhaps he set the price high because of how much it would sting to not have Vrbata next year, and he saw a big advantage in keeping him around to negotiate with for a few months rather than hoping for the best in the summer. Assuming Doan retires, the only players on this roster with a 20-goal season under their belts would be a defenseman and a guy currently in the AHL. If Keller and/or Strome is on the team next year, having a proven finisher on the line will be critical to their development.

There's also the rest of this year. As we've discussed before, the standings are less important this year than the development of players like Domi, Dvorak and Perlini. It's not as simple as "sell off everyone over age 27."

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Vanek is the comp.

And I would argue Vanek is superior player offensively. he also doesn't have bonuses that could impact the cap hit next year.

Teams rumoured to be in on Vrbata.

Habs - spent a 4th rounder for King. Wanted size.

Bruins - conditional pick for more physical player in stafford

Florida - dealt for Vanek.

Flames - traded for Lazar

Kings - iginla.

Who else?

Last edited:

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Vanek is the comp.

Thought experiment. Florida comes to Chayka and asks what he wants for Vrbata. Chayka says a first or prospect of equivalent value, figuring he can settle on a 2nd and a 5th or something. Florida says they'll think about it and want to shop around first. Detroit offers Vanek for a 3rd, but they might have other teams offering the same return, so they can't wait around. Fearful of ending up with nothing at all, Florida takes the deal without calling the Coyotes back.

Did Chayka do anything wrong in that situation?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Did Chayka do anything wrong in that situation?

Only if he doesn't consummate a deal elsewhere.

You're not going to convince me or many others that Vrbata is worth a 4th or less this TDL. He seemed happy to move when asked (set to earn playoff bonuses) and knows that he plays best in AZ. There was almost zero risk in trading him.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Only if he doesn't consummate a deal elsewhere.

You're not going to convince me or many others that Vrbata is worth a 4th or less this TDL. He seemed happy to move when asked (set to earn playoff bonuses) and knows that he plays best in AZ. There was almost zero risk in trading him.

And I wouldn't have moved him for anything less than a 2nd or multiple 3rds.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
I agree with hbk. If we weren't offered a 2nd or a 3rd+ I wouldn't have moved him. And looking at the teams that did trade for a forward spent less than that. I was hoping some team would overpay close to the deadline with a 1st or someone like McCarron. But it doesn't look like any teams, other than Minnesota, were interested in giving up a lot for a rental.

For all the talk of this being a sellers market, the buyers did a lot better.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I agree with hbk. If we weren't offered a 2nd or a 3rd+ I wouldn't have moved him. And looking at the teams that did trade for a forward spent less than that. I was hoping some team would overpay close to the deadline with a 1st or someone like McCarron. But it doesn't look like any teams, other than Minnesota, were interested in giving up a lot for a rental.

Market appeared to collapse right after Vanek deal.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Could be a case of having a high return for Vrbata, and teams looking elsewhere.

With the exception of Vanek, each team that made a trade today got a physical player in return, as hbk noted. Maybe teams felt comfortable with their "skill" guys and the market dried up.

People get hung up on trades happening in a vacuum, but they don't. Returns are never going to be level when comparing one trade to another, and just b/c teams are talking doesn't mean that action takes place.

Of the list of teams, I would guess that at least one or two couldn't guarantee that they could make it work financially by taking on Vrbata's contract. This includes us getting a bad contract in return - maybe the draft pick offered wasn't sweet enough to take on a player with term remaining. Once you get past that, the teams that expressed interest in Vrbata found other deals.

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
Very unusual trade deadline; it seems that every selling teams had to accept some conditions from the buying teams in order to get any form of value.

Everything very conditioned by the expansion draft and the anticipation of a stable salary cap next season.

There will be probably some major moves in the league in the summer, particularly as the free agency crop is rather bad.

This is where Chayka will have to prove his worth as simply re-signing Vrbata/Hanzal to build same roster as this season won't cut it.

In regards to the deadline deals (or no deals for that matter):

Stone: not a bad return all things considered.

Hanzal: pretty good haul to be honest. I really don't feel down about the fact the first this year will be late and it is allegedly a poor draft. There is generally at least one good prospect available by these sort of picks and it is up to the scouting team to find him.

Considering the massive progress made with our drafting recently, I see no reason why this could not turn into another good asset.

Vrbata: well, in a vacuum, it is weird to have decided against getting anything in a trade. But I get the bigger picture, the security of keeping him around for now and possibly having him extended if we feel like it once the whole expansion draft and the (expected) more significant trades have happened.

Ultimately the team has been playing better recently, some of the younger guys are getting used to what's expected of them in the NHL; a little stability towards the end of this season might also be useful in that sense.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Vrbata didn't want to be traded and wanted to stay and wants to re-sign. Us wanting to keep him is a **** excuse but his not wanting to leave does have some bearing. Don't want to disgruntle the guy.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014

The most logical explanation to me is Chayka wants to extend Vrbata for next season. And he thought it was worth passing up the draft pick to increase the odds of inking him to a reasonable deal.

I think that you are on to something here. Now Chayka has the next few months with exclusive rights to sign Vrbata.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016

So it sounds like there wasn't a 2nd offered.

I approve of Chayka not taking a 3rd for him. I think it's a very good move for the long term. We'll be more competitive down the stretch, less of a losing culture. And Chayka sticking to his guns shows other GMs he won't be forced into making a move he doesn't like.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
And I wouldn't have moved him for anything less than a 2nd or multiple 3rds.

Agreed

The GM's are finally using their heads, and along with the cap problems most teams are in, this TDL was not like years past.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

I approve of Chayka not taking a 3rd for him. I think it's a very good move for the long term. We'll be more competitive down the stretch, less of a losing culture. And Chayka sticking to his guns shows other GMs he won't be forced into making a move he doesn't like.

There you go.:nod: Good post.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
In the grand scheme of things I try to reserve full on outrage for moves like Daymond Langkow for a first round pick in the best draft of all time.

Not getting a 3rd for a UFA who we are re-signing anyways is just a little disappointing.

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen

this. And I'm perfectly fine with the decision.

Of course this ends up being a pretty meh trade deadline overall but my expectations of all things Coyotes is meh to terrible so meh is on the high end for me.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Apparently Chakya says that our scouts think it's a strong draft. :shakehead

More specifically, he thinks that it lacks top end star power in the top 10 but otherwise has the same amount of depth as any other year. Given that the scouting department is probably the only group consistently doing their job well, I'm inclined to believe him.

Kaizen

Sep 30, 2004
Prince George B.C.

Amen brother. Just as with the Stone deal, he presented his ask and when he got it, he did the deal. Or in this case, did NOT do the deal.

Its not just about this deadline its also about trades and TDL's going forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad