GDT: NHL Trade Deadline 2017 - 1PM

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
From what I can gather Dvorak plays the game with intensity. He doesn't seem to have a lightness to him, never smiles. He plays almost angry. As a captain would have to dial down the intensity to calm the room at times. I think that he has to get a bit older and less intense to make a good captain. As an "A" he would be great though.

All players should play a little angry - I would be more worried about the guy who jokes and clowns around on the ice a little too much than the guy who is overly serious on the ice. But we are also not talking Deangelo intensity, either, where he could get himself into trouble, like with the 10 game suspension for Deangelo for contact with a referee.

Older - yes. Intensity - I think he is right where he needs to be. He treats this like it is a business. Too many 20 year olds (or younger) have the mentality to get to the league and then you are on top of the world. Not Dvorak - leader by example moreso than with words.

Although I am looking at captains of other sports, wouldn't you want the captain to be the guy who doesn't flinch when he needs to be clutch? I see that in Dvorak. Play on the ice gets him respect, and when he does have to speak to the room, it probably means a lot.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
All players should play a little angry - I would be more worried about the guy who jokes and clowns around on the ice a little too much than the guy who is overly serious on the ice. But we are also not talking Deangelo intensity, either, where he could get himself into trouble, like with the 10 game suspension for Deangelo for contact with a referee.

Older - yes. Intensity - I think he is right where he needs to be. He treats this like it is a business. Too many 20 year olds (or younger) have the mentality to get to the league and then you are on top of the world. Not Dvorak - leader by example moreso than with words.

Although I am looking at captains of other sports, wouldn't you want the captain to be the guy who doesn't flinch when he needs to be clutch? I see that in Dvorak. Play on the ice gets him respect, and when he does have to speak to the room, it probably means a lot.

He's strung a bit too tight right now. Perhaps he will mellow with age.

TJinAZ

Aug 27, 2004
sounds like another NHL captain

From what I can gather Dvorak plays the game with intensity. He doesn't seem to have a lightness to him, never smiles. He plays almost angry. As a captain would have to dial down the intensity to calm the room at times. I think that he has to get a bit older and less intense to make a good captain. As an "A" he would be great though.

Sounds like a two time stanley cup winning captain from Chicago. We could call him Capt Serious the second.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
You should. Great call. I had him at 8 myself.

I just get the sense that everyone will write off our season if we lose all 3 lotteries. There is still great talent in any draft and I liked how we weren't afraid to be aggressive and "reach" with our pick last year.

(Moving this here to stay on topic.)

It certainly makes things more exciting for us draft nerds.

In a draft with a Matthews or McDavid at the top, you obviously want to win the lottery, but this is a rare case where I'm kind of hoping they don't get the top pick. The top pick probably means Nolan Patrick, and I've currently got him ranked 5th. If they pick 2nd, it probably means Hischier, who is my head-and-shoulders #1 right now. If those two guys are off the board (and as of now, the Coyotes have a 76.3% chance of picking 3rd, 4th of 5th), I'm taking Pettersson, Mittelstadt or Tolvanen.

I don't think any of those guys surpasses Strome or Keller as a prospect, but each would fill a significant hole. Nobody generational, but still stellar prospects with top line potential.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
(Moving this here to stay on topic.)

It certainly makes things more exciting for us draft nerds.

In a draft with a Matthews or McDavid at the top, you obviously want to win the lottery, but this is a rare case where I'm kind of hoping they don't get the top pick. The top pick probably means Nolan Patrick, and I've currently got him ranked 5th. If they pick 2nd, it probably means Hischier, who is my head-and-shoulders #1 right now. If those two guys are off the board (and as of now, the Coyotes have a 76.3% chance of picking 3rd, 4th of 5th), I'm taking Pettersson, Mittelstadt or Tolvanen.

I don't think any of those guys surpasses Strome or Keller as a prospect, but each would fill a significant hole. Nobody generational, but still stellar prospects with top line potential.

Pho - where do you have Lias Andersson? I'd like to know what you see in Pettersson as I have him further down my list.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Pho - where do you have Lias Andersson? I'd like to know what you see in Pettersson as I have him further down my list.

Whoops, meant to put this all in the draft thread.

I've got Andersson at 15th but could see him rising for sure. Pettersson is currently 3rd on my list, so he probably doesn't have anywhere to go but down.

I like Andersson's game a lot. Hard-nosed forechecker who is a real pain in the ass to play against. The knock on him for me is that I haven't seen enough creativity or skill in his game to project him as more than a middle 6 tweener as a pro. At the very least, he'll be the sort of 3rd liner that every coach loves, a guy you can slot in at any position and use to kill penalties and who can still chip in 35-40 points a year. I really like his versatility, and I think there might be more than meets the eye with his offense, too. If he has 30 goal potential, he's a top 10 pick for sure with everything else he brings to the table. I'm just not sure whether he's not more of an Andrew Cogliano type.

Pettersson is a rawer player for sure, and he needs to add a lot of strength before he can compete at the NHL level, but in addition to being the more skilled and creative center of the two, I think he has the superior hockey IQ by a decent margin (which is saying something, as Andersson is a smart player himself). I see him as more of a Ryan Nugent-Hopkins type player: ideally not playing above your second line at even strength, but responsible in all three zones, useful on the powerplay, and a terrific playmaker.

That all said, though I have Pettersson ranked highly, I don't think he's a great fit for the Coyotes' pool. His greatest skills—hockey sense, playmaking and puck skill—are already well represented in Domi, Strome, Keller, et al., and the things we're missing—elite finishing skills, namely—aren't really there. Hischier, Mittelstadt, Tippett, Tolvanen, Patrick, and even Vilardi are better shooters, and this team is dying for a real triggerman. I try to do my rankings in a vacuum, though, so he's at #3 for me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad