NHL to Seattle Volume XV - Moving the Expansion Needle [Upd: 9/24 Arena Reno. Unanimously Approved]

Status
Not open for further replies.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
Its starting to get pretty bad in seattle due to the homeless problem. One company was gonna have a convention in seattle and decided against it after seeing the whole mess.

And here I thought they were all in PDX. Much as I love our region, it seems like a terrible place to be homeless. I'd go be homeless were it's drier.:nod:

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
And here I thought they were all in PDX. Much as I love our region, it seems like a terrible place to be homeless. I'd go be homeless were it's drier.:nod:

The reason why people are here cause Seattle is giving them free stuff at tax payers expense.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Oh regarding the EIS potential challenge, Sodo EIS is a thing still and can be used to supplement key arena's EIS.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
That would be a great get.
I think it would be a little early.

While I understand that Seattle is a different situation than Las Vegas, it still seems like an early move in a world where "the league" doesn't like getting shown up (for lack of a better phrase.)

snovalleyhockeyfan

I'm just the messenger.....
May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
That would be a great get.

Its way too earily for head coach announcement. Team needs to be awarded first then a GM then the head coach gets hired,

I wouldn't think much about it. Trotz just won the long awaited cup and it smells much more like retirement than another coaching job.

Perhaps, powerstruck, but IMO in light of the developments yesterday it would seem to me a must that the Seattle bid at a bare minimum get him on board ASAP. Seattle fans have historically responded well to the teams here hiring championship-caliber coaches/managers - see the Mariners when they hired Piniella, the Sonics, albeit lukewarmly at first IIRC when they hired Karl, the Seahawks when they hired Holmgren and the Sounders when they hired Schmid. And there is something else to also consider here. Tippett may not exactly want the coaching job.

As I noted off this thread in some PM's on this subject over the past week with one of our regular BoH board posters, the hiring of Tippett to me is not entirely a surprise. Good hire, yes, but not entirely a surprise - as the linked story noted, Tippett's daughter, son-in-law and grandkids live up this way, over on the Kitsap Peninsula in the Bremerton area, which for those unaware is a big Navy area with the naval shipyard downtown then the sub base out at Bangor about 20 minutes north up Highway 3 (IOW, what does her husband do for a living - is he part of that at all, just curious...). So if Coach Tippett has to move up here or decides to do so anyway as part of his new responsibilities, depending on which area of the peninsula his daughter and family live in, he should be able to find decently priced houses within close proximity, and if he has to commute into Seattle for anything (i.e., has to have an office in downtown Seattle as opposed to working from home perhaps initially), there's a new rapid-ride ferry between Bremerton and the Colman Dock terminal in downtown Seattle that traverses that route in around 30 minutes if the damn thing is operating (they have had some hiccups with service on that boat in the past several months since the thing started last year). Otherwise, it's 60 minutes each direction on the main ferry and it has good Wi-Fi as far as I know so he'll never be out of the loop despite being on the water.

And at his age, he might be more inclined now especially now with the gig he's going to be doing for them to strike a stronger family/job balance meaning coaching, with all the time demands associated with it, might not be in his plans anymore. We'll see, but I would think that's going to perhaps be a bigger focus for him now with this than anything else.

snovalleyhockeyfan

May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
what does this mean?

Guelph, what I think Tommy is referring to here is that the Sodo EIS is still active. Even though the street vacation didn't go through and what not, that EIS is still an active document and as such could be used as part of the Key EIS to address some of the concerns of this potential suit.

Ian Furness seems to think there's more fire to this than smoke by the way so stay tuned.

snovalleyhockeyfan

May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
Before I depart back to bed recovering from a bad cold I've had the past couple of days which has left me unable to contribute here, I have this OT....

The Tacoma Dome put this picture out of the renovations which have begun there. What you see here is a demolition crew removing the permanent lower bowl seating there - this will be replaced with retractable seating later this summer. First reno's down there of this significance since the building opened 35 years ago. This is not the only thing they're doing, there's a bunch of other things they're doing with backstage/locker areas as well. Whether this will make them able to host NHL temporarily provided they put a temporary ice plant in there is unknown FYI.

McCoy

Jun 11, 2018

NHL temporarily provided they put a temporary ice plant in there is unknown FYI.

Is Christian Shed Hearing Jesus Who Trys To Know About My Last To All Others Who Is Huge Cheating Happening When It Becomes Real. I'm only one person on this earth.

Reactions: Kelly

GuelphStormer

Mar 20, 2012
Guelph, ON
Guelph, what I think Tommy is referring to here is that the Sodo EIS is still active. Even though the street vacation didn't go through and what not, that EIS is still an active document and as such could be used as part of the Key EIS to address some of the concerns of this potential suit.
cool, thanks. yes, using the data from one EIS to satisfy the requirement that alternative sites be considered in the key arena EIS does make sense. it would likely want to critically assess problems with sodo to make key look more preferred. hansen would not be happy about that, i'd think.

im still struck by the oddity of OVG and the City claiming that a privately funded renovation of a publicly owned building of such importance is a private project, and thus it not need meet certain more onerous process requirements. presumably, the public owner is directing the project, no? and maintains control and ownership of that building upon completion, no? or does it? thanks.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

Ian Furness seems to think there's more fire to this than smoke by the way so stay tuned.

this is why i can't stand KJR at times. Hansen isn't back in the game. He's not going to get a NBA team or the street vacation if he sues to try to make them study alternates sites.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
cool, thanks. yes, using the data from one EIS to satisfy the requirement that alternative sites be considered in the key arena EIS does make sense. it would likely want to critically assess problems with sodo to make key look more preferred. hansen would not be happy about that, i'd think.

im still struck by the oddity of OVG and the City claiming that a privately funded renovation of a publicly owned building of such importance is a private project, and thus it not need meet certain more onerous process requirements. presumably, the public owner is directing the project, no? and maintains control and ownership of that building upon completion, no? or does it? thanks.

Its a redevelopment of a building. You can't study alternate sites on where you are going to do the redevelopment of key arena at.

Nothing hansen can do about it if the city uses sodo arena's EIS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad