NHL to hold 2020 entry draft before resumption of season? (Regardless of when, it'll be virtual)

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
I think they know the season is done and they just want whatever TV money they can get with a draft.

I don't understand why every house-hold hasn't cancelled their TSN and SN accounts or the cable TV. There is nothing on.
Why would you watch a repeat of old games?

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Paywall. Regardless of when it's held, the 2020 entry draft will be virtual. That's already been determined.

Now, it's just the timing to be determined.

(And the rest that follow from when done.)

It’s significant that both NBC and Rogers, the league’s national rightsholders, are “enthusiastically in favor” of an early draft. Rogers has expressed to the league that June is the ideal window to provide major exposure to the draft coverage and also provide weeks of content leading up to the draft. For fans tired of classic games and former players on Zoom, this has to be tempting.

But only diehards may follow. Unlike CFB, most fans don't follow HS, junior hockey to know the players.

It also won't be about roster building as much as normal. Daly indicated the league will have to limit types of trades allowed leading up to an early draft.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
31 Thoughts: How will NHL broadcasts look when season resumes? - Sportsnet.ca

Friedman speculates what league might do with draft lottery. Would be more exciting to have all 31 teams "in". Could be big ratings.

And another reason to have draft in June:
It’s not high on the radar now, but one of the developing storylines from the financial effects of COVID-19 is the immediate future of scouting. If the draft does happen before June 30, teams will not have to extend the contracts of scouts that end on that day. It is not an insignificant number.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Lots of details still to firm up. Not the least of which are the 15 or so "conditional" trades (with outcomes based on 2020 post season performance/making it).

I haven't heard any rules released on what assets (other than picks) can/may be traded.

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
If they are going to resume the season, they should have the draft after the conclusion of the current season. Players drafted anyways can't play till the start of the 2020-2021 season. Teams would be able to make moves knowing it won't affect the current season.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
so it's friday already and no news so I'm thinking the NHL cooled down on that idea of holding the draft before the end of the season

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
If they are going to resume the season, they should have the draft after the conclusion of the current season. Players drafted anyways can't play till the start of the 2020-2021 season. Teams would be able to make moves knowing it won't affect the current season.

Having the draft be after playoffs would miss out on signing any European players that may be drafted for next season.

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
Having the draft be after playoffs would miss out on signing any European players that may be drafted for next season.

Just for a chance at a few players moving from Europe to the NHL, it seems crazy to adjust teams off-season strategy and the current season by keeping the draft in June.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
This is a joke, and just shows how desperate the NHL is for coverage. I haven't heard anything about bumping up the NBA or MLB drafts which take place around the same time.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Sounds like they wanted a decision by today to go forward with June 5/6 draft.

Still might happen in June, but perhaps not that weekend.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
This is a joke, and just shows how desperate the NHL is for coverage. I haven't heard anything about bumping up the NBA or MLB drafts which take place around the same time.

NFL had their draft and it set a rating record for a digital only draft.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
That's something I never thought of. Are they really ineligible? I mean, normally they're implicitly ineligible because the draft happens after the season/playoffs. In this case, is there anything preventing them from signing the ELC and joining the team for the playoffs?

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
That's something I never thought of. Are they really ineligible? I mean, normally they're implicitly ineligible because the draft happens after the season/playoffs. In this case, is there anything preventing them from signing the ELC and joining the team for the playoffs?

The NHL won't process any contracts for the 19-20 season from folks not on the team's depth chart (as of the TDL). (So no undrafted free agents, college grads, overage junior players, European transfers, etc.)

For instance, for the Sharks Melchinuk and Handemark were signed for 20-21 season. (And the Pasichnuk brothers, NHL and AHL deals respectively, aren't yet signed, waiting to hear if there will be a 19-20 season remaining to burn a year or their agreements will go into effect with the 20-21 season.)

WHEN and if the NHL resumes the 2019-20 season, one of the things that will be decided is how to handle undrafted free agents, etc., and how they'll be signable (or not).

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
The NHL won't process any contracts for the 19-20 season from folks not on the team's depth chart (as of the TDL). (So no undrafted free agents, college grads, overage junior players, European transfers, etc.)

For instance, for the Sharks Melchinuk and Handemark were signed for 20-21 season. (And the Pasichnuk brothers, NHL and AHL deals respectively, aren't yet signed, waiting to hear if there will be a 19-20 season remaining to burn a year or their agreements will go into effect with the 20-21 season.)

WHEN and if the NHL resumes the 2019-20 season, one of the things that will be decided is how to handle undrafted free agents, etc., and how they'll be signable (or not).
OK, so just to be clear, were guys like Makar considered to be on the Avalanche chart before the TDL last year? Are things different for drafted players out of the NCAA as opposed to draft eligible players?

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It sounds to me that after the NFL Draft got such good reviews, when the GM's did want to do it, that the NHL office was pushing it so that they could make some news when it was held. Why else would they push to have it earlier in June than normal? But it seems they've cooled on the idea likely on those recommendations, and because people care a lot less about the NHL draft. The NFL is in it's actual off-season, and it's more worth psychoanalyzing the NFL draft since there is far more of an immediate impact. It won't get 3 weeks of buildup by sports networks when there's only a few players for guys like John Buccigross to talk about, none of which played in college.

Despite that, the NHL draft is closer to importance compared to the NFL than the NBA or MLB in terms of its coverage. MLB goes on and hardly anyone notices. NBA draft is not as much of an exhaustive process and may be the least relevant to its sport.

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
OK, so just to be clear, were guys like Makar considered to be on the Flames depth chart before the TDL last year? Are things different for drafted players out of the NCAA as opposed to draft eligible players?

*Avalanche

Yes, all drafted players are on the team's reserve list. Any player on a team's reserve list can be signed and can play for that team in the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad