NHL to hold 2020 entry draft before resumption of season? (Regardless of when, it'll be virtual)

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
It sounds to me that after the NFL Draft got such good reviews, when the GM's did want to do it, that the NHL office was pushing it so that they could make some news when it was held. Why else would they push to have it earlier in June than normal? But it seems they've cooled on the idea likely on those recommendations, and because people care a lot less about the NHL draft. The NFL is in it's actual off-season, and it's more worth psychoanalyzing the NFL draft since there is far more of an immediate impact. It won't get 3 weeks of buildup by sports networks when there's only a few players for guys like John Buccigross to talk about, none of which played in college.

Despite that, the NHL draft is closer to importance compared to the NFL than the NBA or MLB in terms of its coverage. MLB goes on and hardly anyone notices. NBA draft is not as much of an exhaustive process and may be the least relevant to its sport.

I also don't really see such a strong appeal of an NHL draft. There will be disappointed fans with a modified format, limited transactions opportunities. By the time draft is held at least MLB should have pretty clear plans out if not be in spring training camp mode. NBA might have theirs too heck even NHL season should have more clarity. Golf, NASCAR & F1 are starting in June. Buzz will be there unlike NFL being the only one in town. Also casual fans follow college football and know who the players are unlike NHL. Yes I do expect more eyes on NHL than normal but is it worth the downsides?

From the beginning I believe this is just creating buzz about buzz but ultimately no June draft will be held.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I might be in the minority, but I think if they hold a June draft they should burn the 19-20 rosters, even if they intend to award a Stanley Cup.

Let teams trade and construct 20-21 rosters at the June draft. If there is a tournament for a Stanley Cup, don't call it the 19-20 Stanley Cup. Consider it an entirely different thing.

1: 19-20 season ends
2: June draft with trading
3: July free agency
4: 24 Team Tournament for the vacant Stanley Cup (with 20-21 rosters)
5: Short off-season
6: 20-21 season begins with same rosters as the vacant Stanley Cup tournament.
7: Trade Deadline
8: 20-21 Playoffs

The big upside would be that if they aren't able to return to play at all, they haven't sacrificed the ability to shape rosters at the draft. The big downside would be that it burns a year of competition for teams that have peaked, and teams who acquired rentals lose out on having them.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
It's absolute horseshit if the 7 teams not being gifted a shot at the playoffs don't have their lotto odds improved.

Reactions: S E P H

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
7 teams not resuming play will doing a draft lottery June 26, with 8 placeholder slots for those teams that will be eliminated from qualifying round.

If non-resuming teams win lottery, there won't be a phase two lottery. If one of the placeholders win a spot, the lottery will be evenly weighted for all 8 eliminated teams to get that lottery spot. (After qualifying round, before first round of playoffs.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad