NHL to have two outdoor games in Lake Tahoe in February

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
Really wasn’t a smart idea to do these games knowing the situation, but hey I’m sure NHL got a good check to do them however.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Lake Tahoe is where the Corleone Family moved their operations to.

Fredo is in the bottom of the lake!

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
"We should have a game in the Canadian rockies!"

NHL: "LOL, you Canadian fans are so cute. Keep dreaming."

"We should have a game on Lake Tahoe!"

NHL: "Done!"

@End on a Hinote

I don't recall which podcast (of the half dozen hockey related ones) I was listening to, but the NHL did look at having a game at Lake Louise or similar. Ran into national park restrictions to make it happen.

The other thing to consider here is that these 2 games are essentially make ups for missing the Winter Classic & All-Star Game...events Bridgestone & Honda pay to be the presenting sponsor of.

If the league was sitting on a big check from Tim Hortons for the Heritage Classic this year, you can bet they would've done a Canada game of some kind.

Bostonzamboni

Jan 26, 2019

A nice view of all the reasons these games are happening.

And the bonus of some added hockey talk on the two Boston sports radio stations, plus "special coverage" on Sunday for the Bruins game there on their radio flagship.

Just the added buzz helps the sport even if the tv ratings somehow disappoint. Yes, they're facing the NBA on ABC on Sunday for part of the event as the Celtics play at 3 p.m., so it could hurt the Bruins ratings, unfortunately, but hopefully not significantly.

(Why is the quiet NBCSN promo a sexy whispering woman's voice?)

Last edited:

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
Honestly, I expected it to be a little more scenic. Like something with a nice lodge or something.

I think this outdoor random rink idea has more potential, but I guess it's not allowed in National Parks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad