NHL Team Airplane Photos

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
I don't typically start threads, but for post number 1000, I figured I'd announce that I am going to try to photograph all of the NHL charter airplanes this season. I work about two miles from Sky Harbor, so it's no effort to detour via the southwest corner, over by Cutter Aviation.

The collection will be at http://www.pbase.com/polakis/nhl_planes

It begins with the Coyotes, of course, who changed from last season's very old 727 to a slightly newer 757. I learned that it has been contaminated, since it was the Dallas Stars charter as recently as last season. They are parking it away from an accessible location lately, so there's lots of clutter in the foreground.

The Rangers airplane is a 737 with no character whatsoever that they share with the NFL Jets, who obviously got precedence for choosing the color scheme. Couldn't they put a stick-on Rangers logo on the fuselage or something?

152721021.65bIuBaT.IMG_7372.jpg

152720996.3yk4NXHG.IMG_7366.jpg

MP

Feb 8, 2008
Trijets like the 727 are where it's at, as long as you aren't part of the maintenance crew. I actually cried while browsing photos of Delta's last L-1011 Tristar, but am too stupid to qualify as a certifiable nerd. Too bad the Coyotes had to switch.

Not that the players really mind. The 757 is probably a much comfier ride.

Edit: <dork>This is one of the photos in question, if anyone is curious.</dork>

Edit 2: Also this one. Oh god it's happening again. Nobody look at me. Just nobody look at me.

Last edited:

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
Here are two more:

Ottawa Senators fly Air Canada "Jetz", like all of the other six Canadian teams. This is an Airbus A319.

152888153.JJ8ep2OC.IMG_7732.jpg

Detroit Red Wings used to have share a charter with the Tigers with full team logo livery along the fuselage. Now they fly on this bland MD-81 with "RW" in the N number (hidden by the wing in this view).

152946633.qnOV32lM.IMG_7894.jpg

Vip

Coyotes/Cardinals/Jazz/RSL
Jul 25, 2010
Good thread idea.

This could be a cool thread on the main boards.

Last edited:

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
Good thread idea.

This could be a cool thread on the main boards.

I'll probably post my photos on the main board in blocks of 5 or 6 airplanes at a time, and more frequently here. I posted my photo of Ottawa's charter in their GDT, and stayed the hell away from the subject of Turris.

Really surprised to see a team logo on only the Coyotes airplane of the four so far.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Detroit Red Wings used to have share a charter with the Tigers with full team logo livery along the fuselage. Now they fly on this bland MD-81 with "RW" in the N number (hidden by the wing in this view).

Tigers are still playing in the MLB playoffs and probably flew into Boston today. Wonder if they got the regular plane, which I believe Mike Illitch owns, or at least used to.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Oh you mean like actual airplane pictures. I was expecting pics like that one Biz took of OEL sleeping with an "I heart Abba" sign next to him.

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
A couple more that I took on the way to the game yesterday.

Replacement photo of Coyotes plane, which is less cluttered, with better light and backdrop.

153025333.Fm7SVb3O.IMG_7910.jpg

Calgary Flames, which looks identical to the Senators charter.

153025335.bBQdqSiA.IMG_7908.jpg

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Wonder if the bigger market teams have fully decked out custom planes.

The Bruins' plane is nicknamed "Bear Force One". Given that Boston is one of the richer teams, they likely have a nice plane to boot.

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
Been a lot of home games recently....but no plane photos recently

I have been uploading them in batches of five on the main board thread.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1523037

And my PBase gallery of all of them at one site is here. I currently have 18 of them uploaded.

http://www.pbase.com/polakis/nhl_planes

So far, only three (Coyotes, Sharks, and Blue Jackets) rock a team logo on the tail. In most cases, these charters are Air Canada or Delta, and look like any other airplane, distinguished mainly by the fact that they park away from the gate. Down time for an airplane is just wasted money, so these charters are commonly shared to do other flights while the team waits in Phoenix for their game.

Anaheim's airplane today will be #20.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
My dad spotted this at Dallas Love Field on Wednesday morning.

Is this last year's 727?

Any guesses about why it's in Texas?

picture.php

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Hey Tom, I appreciate you taking these pictures! Is there any way you can keep updating this thread? I try to avoid the main board because of my past, probably got a little too involved with some people in the GDT for the Rags/Isles. If not I'm bookmarking the site you have of all the pictures compiled.

I do find it interesting that most teams don't have their own plane. Do they just have to contact a airline and request a plane for their dates they will be in town? Does anyone know how that works? Or is it a plane that they pay the airline for each season that follows the team around?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad