NHL Team Airplane Photos

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
My dad spotted this at Dallas Love Field on Wednesday morning.

Is this last year's 727?

Any guesses about why it's in Texas?

Yes, that's last year's 727. Its tail number is N698SS, and FlightAware says that it now belongs to Paradigm Air Carriers, which appears to be based in Dallas. Surprised its still rocking the Coyotes livery.

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
Hey Tom, I appreciate you taking these pictures! Is there any way you can keep updating this thread? I try to avoid the main board because of my past, probably got a little too involved with some people in the GDT for the Rags/Isles. If not I'm bookmarking the site you have of all the pictures compiled.

I do find it interesting that most teams don't have their own plane. Do they just have to contact a airline and request a plane for their dates they will be in town? Does anyone know how that works? Or is it a plane that they pay the airline for each season that follows the team around?

I keep the gallery on PBase, which currently stands at 20 airplanes. There are a couple that were completely ambiguous to track, and I lost my opportunity, so I'll be a few short by the end of the season.

http://www.pbase.com/polakis/nhl_planes

All but a few teams charter the airplanes, and they mostly fly on Air Canada or Delta. They stick with the same airline (but not always the same airplane) all season. If they're in town for a couple days, sometimes the airplane might be used for another purpose rather than just sitting. In one case, the landing I photographed was full of Utah Jazz players arriving for a game with the Suns, during the time when the Predators were awaiting their game.

The Blue Jackets were the only team to fly into Goodyear rather than Sky Harbor. Actually, it's ten minutes closer, and has plenty of runway, but I'm guessing wealthy sports teams are put off by the low-budget operation of that airport.

kasim

Feb 5, 2014
Phoenix AZ
FWIW i believe the choice to design tails with logos is based on the airline sponsering or hosting the plane

US Air does color its planes, hence hte cards plane as well. Others dont. not sure why

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
(from last January) My dad spotted this at Dallas Love Field on Wednesday morning. Is this last year's 727? Any guesses about why it's in Texas?

Yes, that's last year's 727. Its tail number is N698SS, and FlightAware says that it now belongs to Paradigm Air Carriers, which appears to be based in Dallas. Surprised its still rocking the Coyotes livery.

I flew into Love Field yesterday, and can confirm this plane is still there (or there again), almost a year later. I was there to see Caps@Stars, and so was a little surprised to see it.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Trijets like the 727 are where it's at, as long as you aren't part of the maintenance crew. I actually cried while browsing photos of Delta's last L-1011 Tristar, but am too stupid to qualify as a certifiable nerd. Too bad the Coyotes had to switch.

Not that the players really mind. The 757 is probably a much comfier ride.

Edit: <dork>This is one of the photos in question, if anyone is curious.</dork>

Edit 2: Also this one. Oh god it's happening again. Nobody look at me. Just nobody look at me.

You're speaking all of my trigger words here. If I'm not careful I'm going to relapse into my virtual airline days. Yes. You read that right. VIRTUAL AIRLINE.

MP

Feb 8, 2008
You're speaking all of my trigger words here. If I'm not careful I'm going to relapse into my virtual airline days. Yes. You read that right. VIRTUAL AIRLINE.
I, uh. I've spent $400+ on peripherals for FSX. No need to explain yourself to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad