League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) | 2023-24 Regular Season Edition

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
The look good tonight. Thought Colorado came out to fight and then gave up shorty. Wyatt Johnston is a stud… and only 20!

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
Wow Nicushkin failed a drug test. He f***ed the team last year and has done it again.

I find it weird when people say "I hope he gets the help he needs. Thoughts are with him".

Isn't there an alternative view, such as "What a selfish asshole. He has let his teammates down." Especially if this is a recreational drug thing.

When Kuzy got busted doing coke there was zero sympathy shown. People on HF Boards still make jokes about it.

These are very strange time we are living in.
Ever know any addicts? Nuke was in, what, Phase 3? of the PA program. Like Kuzy, that’s not just some dumb recreational drug use. That’s a guy with a problem that can’t get sober. Imagine having all of what you listed on the line (money, teammates, Cups) and still not being able to control yourself b/c of the way your brain is wired.

I do get where you’re coming from - the behavior itself shouldn’t make them out to be some courageous hero. But, it’s a really hard road to go for people dealing with it. Most relapse many, many times. So scorn and ridicule is like the least helpful thing for someone in recovery.

Last edited:

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
Ever know any addicts? Nuke was in, what, Phase 3? of the PA program. Like Kuzy, that’s not just some dumb recreational drug use. That’s a guy with a problem that can’t get sober. Imagine having all of what you listed on the line (money, teammates, Cups) and still not being able to control yourself b/c of the way your brain is wired.

I do get where you’re coming from - the behavior itself shouldn’t make them out to be some courageous hero. But, it’s a really hard road to go for people dealing with it. Most relapse many, many times. So scorn and ridicule is like the least helpful thing for someone in recovery.
One of my brothers was a heroin addict and was living on the streets in Canada. He managed to get clean and has been for years. I had a great deal of compassion for him at the time and I am proud of him for overcoming his addiction.

What makes me less compassionate with regards to Nicushkin is the circumstances he found himself in back in April 2023, in a Seattle hotel room with an Eastern European prostitute who was so intoxicated an ambulance had to be called. Meanwhile Nicushkin's pregnant wife was back home in Denver. I think that's a shitty thing to do, and it makes it more difficult for me to feel bad for the guy.

But everybody has different levels of empathy / compassion etc. I am probably a bit more selective than most people, and for that reason this was probably a stupid thing for me to comment on.

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
One of my brothers was a heroin addict and was living on the streets in Canada. He managed to get clean and has been for years. I had a great deal of compassion for him at the time and I am proud of him for overcoming his addiction.

What makes me less compassionate with regards to Nicushkin is the circumstances he found himself in back in April 2023, in a Seattle hotel room with an Eastern European prostitute who was so intoxicated an ambulance had to be called. Meanwhile Nicushkin's pregnant wife was back home in Denver. I think that's a shitty thing to do, and it makes it more difficult for me to feel bad for the guy.

But everybody has different levels of empathy / compassion etc. I am probably a bit more selective than most people, and for that reason this was probably a stupid thing for me to comment on.
Thanks for sharing that. I’m really glad to hear he’s doing well.

Yea that whole thing last year was extremely sketchy and it seemed like the powers that be did everything to cover it up. So, yea - he might be a bad guy, bad husband, and a prick as a teammate - we have no idea. I imagine the Avs will try to move on from him somehow.

Someone can be all those bad things, but one can still feel empathy if they have a disease that may kill them (plus hurt those closest to them in the process). To hope, if nothing else, that they get healthy. Even if only for the sake of his young family.

Anyways, I’m not trying to be a self-righteous internet blowhard telling others how to think. Like you said, everyone will have different reactions, and levels of compassion in these complicated situations.

Last edited:

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
Thanks for sharing that. I’m really glad to hear he’s doing well.

Yea that whole thing last year was extremely sketchy and it seemed like the powers that be did everything to cover it up. So, yea - he might be a bad guy, bad husband, and a prick as a teammate - we have no idea. I imagine the Avs will try to move on from him somehow.

Someone can be all those bad things, but one can still feel empathy if they have a disease that may kill them (plus hurt those closest to them in the process). To hope, if nothing else, that they get healthy. Even if only for the sake of his young family.

Anyways, I’m not trying to be a self-righteous internet blowhard telling others how to think. Like you said, everyone will have different reactions, and levels of compassion in these complicated situations.
Thanks re: my brother.

I didn't like the cover up either. The league moves very quickly to close ranks when bad things happen, so I don't really trust the PA program. I think it's open to abuse - similar to LTIR etc. Hossa and his allergy to equipment etc. It we're being honest I think it's safe to say the NHL is anything BUT honest. Probably like most big businesses.

As far as Nicushkin goes - I definitely hope he can sort out his issues. The guy is a very talented player. I am probably a bit annoyed that he has let his team down. I was hoping the Avs would make it to the Finals but they seem to be in real trouble now. I don't think that is entirely because of Nicushkin but it sure can't be helping.

Reactions: RedRocking

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

Props to your brother. Once you’re that far down, that’s a really difficult hole to crawl out of.

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
Props to your brother. Once you’re that far down, that’s a really difficult hole to crawl out of.
Yeah came back from the brink. He was - by his own admission - lucky he got the chance (almost OD'ed). Made him realize the whole thing was insane and he needed to get his shit together.

Won't say too much else, other than I still listen to The Guess Who sometimes because it reminds me of my teenage years and "the shit they always played on the radio"....and uggh I was "forced" to be a Habs fan until I was old enough to free myself :laugh:

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
I’m sure Rod is totally confused at this point. Kuzy takes a lot of floater shifts, commits dumb and lazy penalties, and scores big goals at key times using his superior skill-set - the exact thing the Canes have lacked in prior years. He must be hearing 2 different voices in his bellowing with conviction - “you must play him” and “you can’t play him”.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I’m sure Rod is totally confused at this point. Kuzy takes a lot of floater shifts, commits dumb and lazy penalties, and scores big goals at key times using his superior skill-set - the exact thing the Canes have lacked in prior years. He must be hearing 2 different voices in his bellowing with conviction - “you must play him” and “you can’t play him”.
The personification of this meme.

1715691689065.jpeg

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Still a long way to go but the Canes are exposing the Rangers for what they are: a middling even strength team buoyed by terrific special teams and a great goalie. If either the special teams or goalie don’t play at the top of their game they’re a pretty average team. Don’t think they’d stand a chance versus Florida or Dallas.

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
I hate hypocrisy.

Every time Kuzy was brought up in a trade thread with Colorado, the cocaine jokes and "We don't want that drama here" were rampant.

And now there's a whole lot of "Hope he gets the help needs, thoughts and prayers" coming out of Colorado.

If Nuke wants to continue playing in the NHL he needs to get his shit together. Yes, I know, easier said than done. But given his resources, for example ability to afford high end rehab clinics, he has a leg up.

Anyone know if the Avs are allowed to buy him out or terminate the contract for this, while he's suspended? (Buyout is unlikely, just based on the cap results from doing so.)

Reactions: PlushMinus

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Least Kuzy kept his shit together long enough to win the cup.
So did Nichuskin

I hate hypocrisy.

Every time Kuzy was brought up in a trade thread with Colorado, the cocaine jokes and "We don't want that drama here" were rampant.

And now there's a whole lot of "Hope he gets the help needs, thoughts and prayers" coming out of Colorado.

If Nuke wants to continue playing in the NHL he needs to get his shit together. Yes, I know, easier said than done. But given his resources, for example ability to afford high end rehab clinics, he has a leg up.

Anyone know if the Avs are allowed to buy him out or terminate the contract for this, while he's suspended? (Buyout is unlikely, just based on the cap results from doing so.)
Don't know for certain, but I'd be 100% shocked if a team was allowed to terminate a guy who's in the program. If that's allowed, the NHLPA should just quit as a union.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Kalopsia

Jun 25, 2018
So did Nichuskin

Don't know for certain, but I'd be 100% shocked if a team was allowed to terminate a guy who's in the program. If that's allowed, the NHLPA should just quit as a union.
Does he still count as "in the program" if he violates its terms by failing a drug test?

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
But the consequences are stepped up - it's his 3rd time in, so he can't be reinstated for at least 6 months, and he doesn't get paid during that time.

Reactions: Calicaps

Kalopsia

Jun 25, 2018
The release says he's been placed in level 3. Relapses are common so any drug program that kicks you out for relapsing isn't very well designed.
Fair enough. The Kings did manage to get out of Mike Richards' contract when he was caught with oxy though, so there's definitely a precedent for terminating over drug use. The NHLPA filed a grievance over it and the parties settled, with the termination going through and Mike getting about 2/3 of what he would've in a normal buyout. Maybe Mike refused the enter the program? I can't find any references to him being in it at any point.

Also, does a player need an active contract to be allowed in the program? If he could stay in after being terminated, that'd let the Avs do it without the backlash. I would really hope the program's available to guys who've already washed out of the league because of whatever they need help with.

Last edited:

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Fair enough. The Kings did manage to get out of Mike Richards' contract when he was caught with oxy though, so there's definitely a precedent for terminating over drug use. The NHLPA filed a grievance over it and the parties settled, with the termination going through and Mike getting about 2/3 of what he would've in a normal buyout. Maybe Mike refused the enter the program? I can't find any references to him being in it at any point.

Also, does a player need an active contract to be allowed in the program? If he could stay in after being terminated, that'd let the Avs do it without the backlash. I would really hope the program's available to guys who've already washed out of the league because of whatever they need help with.
Was it that he was using or that he got caught moving it? Because I thought I remembered something about him being caught coming back in from Canada and that could technically be a different offense as far as termination goes.

Reactions: Calicaps

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad