League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) | 2023-24 Regular Season Edition

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
I think eventually someone will decide it's against the spirit of the game (like kicking the puck in vs redirecting it) and make it illegal, maybe by saying the puck can't be flat on your stick for X amount of time when the stick is off the ice, similar to the way you have basically a judgment call for closing the hand on the puck etc.
Too much gray area if a rule like that came about. Very simple you put in the rule book no Michigan type goal above the crossbar as it is high-sticking a puck. Also, if it's done then a 2 min penalty will be called for unsportsmanlike conduct. Of course something like that is too logical for the NHL to implement in their rule book and the fact they no longer enforce their rule book, and make up changes as they go along!

I think there are three big things between now and draft that will influence what happens:

1. Leonard decision - this has been made so we have to assume he is going back to BC
2. Oshie decision to LTIR or not
3. If org decides to start Miro in WAS.

And then of course what happens in playoffs. For example, Toronto is going to make some changes after getting bounced quick. I think Canes will look hard as well.

But as @Calicaps mentioned I am sure GM and his team including scouts is having conversations and looking all over.

Difference here is that GMBM has a pimp hand this Year and he hasn’t forever. He has young cheap assets, has tradeable assets (prospects and vets), a deep goalie pipeline, and most importantly cap space. So he should be having much more aggressive GSD conversations versus just exploratory.

The goal should remain the same. Get younger. Get faster. Try to be cup competitive next two OV years. Should be fun!
Miro will get his chance in training camp/preseason to prove himself. He already showed flashes late in the Caps season, so it is a matter of can he make the big club and be more consistent.

Reactions: PlushMinus

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Too much gray area if a rule like that came about. Very simple you put in the rule book no Michigan type goal above the crossbar as it is high-sticking a puck. Also, if it's done then a 2 min penalty will be called for unsportsmanlike conduct. Of course something like that is too logical for the NHL to implement in their rule book and the fact they no longer enforce their rule book, and make up changes as they go along!

Miro will get his chance in training camp/preseason to prove himself. He already showed flashes late in the Caps season, so it is a matter of can he make the big club and be more consistent.
Again, there are plenty of rules on the book with a lot of "gray area". One more for such a rare play won't be a problem.

For example, here's part of the "hand pass" rule as already mentioned:

67.1 Handling Puck - A player shall be permitted to stop or “bat” a puck in the air with his open hand, or push it along the ice with his hand, and the play shall not be stopped unless, in the opinion of the Referee, he has deliberately directed the puck to a teammate in any zone other than the defending zone, in which case the play shall be stopped and a face-off conducted (see Rule 79 – Hand Pass). Play will not be stopped for any hand pass by players in their own defending zone.

Note the bold. A referee's opinion on something being deliberate is already normal in hockey. Any player trying the Michigan is going to be a lot more obvious than some hand passes.

Last edited:
Reactions: RedRocking

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Interesting points here to consider. And strange that Necas appears not to drive play on this line regardless of who paired with.

I still prefer Necas for these reasons. First, he is 6’2 190 lbs. And that has shown to me in the games i have watched. having big bodies for playoffs is critical versus Jarvis 5’10 175 frame. Secondly, at 25, he has 362 games plus 57 playoff games which fits right into our rebuild model as a 7 year deal takes him through his prime years of 25 to 32.

After reading other posts Jarvis may be the one to target with RFA offer sheet because if canes match it they probably can’t sign Necas because he already has a $3M cap so it will go up. So this path means you have a shot at both. Regardless, I do think the RFA route should be under consideration. Or threaten to do it and force a trade of rights (with confidence we can sign either to a long term deal.

Sign me up for Necas.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Anyone watching that Bennett "goalie-interference” goal
immediately (and painfully) reminded of this? Fast forward to 2:30.

Now that was truly an unjust moment in caps playoff history

But to be fair, the Ward game winner against Boston was borderline GI as well, gods gave us one back!

Jun 15, 2007
I feel like shoving a defender into the goalie is a legit play?

I know it’s been called GI before but as long as it’s called this way from now on, I have no issue with it.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
I think eventually someone will decide it's against the spirit of the game (like kicking the puck in vs redirecting it) and make it illegal, maybe by saying the puck can't be flat on your stick for X amount of time when the stick is off the ice, similar to the way you have basically a judgment call for closing the hand on the puck etc.
I'd want to know just how Michigan style goals have been scored at the nhl level and compare that numbers against all the other goals since to really see if it is an issue.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Oilers have met their match and much more! 4-2 Canucks after 2 periods. Skinner has given up 4 goals on 15 shots! Dude is not a playoff goalie, as he can only look Vezina like against the clueless Kings!

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
Oilers have met their match and much more! 4-2 Canucks after 2 periods. Skinner has given up 4 goals on 15 shots! Dude is not a playoff goalie, as he can only look Vezina like against the clueless Kings!
Alot of teams seem to meet their Waterloo in the playoffs.

Boston going through it.
Toronto year after year.
Edmonton year after year.
Carolina year after year.

There's a lot more to it (a big part I think is psychological (doubt creeping in "here we go again"), but it does go to show how difficult it is to win a Cup. The Caps are a perfect example of that.

Then you have an example that goes completely against the grain - Vegas.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
There seriously needs to be a rule look into. I don’t think they attended hockey player skating around like lacrosse players dribbling the puck.

Personally, when I was playing, if anyone tried the Michigan I would be trying to snap their stick in half.
Why the animosity here. It is not easy to pull off.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
If Edmonton goes out I'd imagine they might get a bit desperate to change things up ala Toronto.
They need to anyways. Their #1 goalie sucks and their D sucks too.

If I'm Knoblauch, and want my team to turn around this series, then I would start Pickard for Game 4!

The fact the Oilers have both Skinner and Campbell, makes me feel a lot better the Caps have Darcy Kuemper!

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
I'd want to know just how Michigan style goals have been scored at the nhl level and compare that numbers against all the other goals since to really see if it is an issue.

Did anyone catch Kuzy trying it yesterday? He almost had it too, but Fox made a nice play.

Kinda wild to attempt it late in a tight playoff game - classic Kuzy hijinks! lol

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
They need to anyways. Their #1 goalie sucks and their D sucks too.

If I'm Knoblauch, and want my team to turn around this series, then I would start Pickard for Game 4!

The fact the Oilers have both Skinner and Campbell, makes me feel a lot better the Caps have Darcy Kuemper!
That Nurse - Ceci pairing is an abomination. I can’t believe Nurse makes more than JC74. Highway robbery!

Still, that Silovs kid stole the game for VAN tonight. No 5v5 goals for EDM.

I wonder who will win the Ullmark/Saros/Markstrom sweepstakes over the summer? So many “contending” teams need a goalie. I could see a Marner/Saros swap making sense for both teams. Not sure if Marner would waive for NSH tho.

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
Was up early reading Leafs media. Wow...so much drama surrounding Marner, his dad, and his private security detail fighting his battles online. LOL Hilarious, but sad.

Keep this crybaby and his circus away from DC.

crazy8888

Sep 8, 2010
Brooklyn NY

Did anyone catch Kuzy trying it yesterday? He almost had it too, but Fox made a nice play.

Kinda wild to attempt it late in a tight playoff game - classic Kuzy hijinks! lol

Yup, saw that. One of the commentators went on a bit of a rant about how you should not do this play this late in a playoff game.... yada yada yada. Bet if it worked Kuz would be all over news being praised. I guess that's why they say its a game of inches. Inch in your favor and your a hero, goes the other way and your a clown.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I also find it crazy that the league didn’t look at that Bennett sucker punch on Marchand either. They’re all about player safety, yet they let a guy hit an unsuspecting player with a sucker punch to the face. Marchand is an asshole and I hate the Bruins with a passion but they truly do seem like they get the short end of the stick so far.

Would also love to see the Bs blow it up and trade some guys too

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I also find it crazy that the league didn’t look at that Bennett sucker punch on Marchand either. They’re all about player safety, yet they let a guy hit an unsuspecting player with a sucker punch to the face. Marchand is an asshole and I hate the Bruins with a passion but they truly do seem like they get the short end of the stick so far.

Would also love to see the Bs blow it up and trade some guys too

I don’t agree with the characterization of an unsuspecting player, but that was dirty by Bennett to land that shot….and he should lose a few teeth for it…sneaky dirty.

Reactions: hb12xchamps

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad