League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) | 2023-24 Regular Season Edition

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Just like to point out that Marner had an assist on the Leafs 1st goal of the game to break the ice in Game 5.

Do the Canucks/Preds ever want to score a goal in Game 5?!

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I like the Cats in east. They are fun and no problem rooting for them.

I hate Vegas so much i am going to ride the Stars but Avs look really good!

Reactions: PlushMinus

stephenball

Jan 7, 2018
How the F can anyone root for Kuzy after he basically coasted around for 4 years basically sabotaging the Caps.
I can because overall he was a much bigger part of us winning a cup than he was in us not being good afterwards. We don’t win our cup without him that year, even if he was better after that we still wouldn’t have been contenders.

Reactions: twabby and Hivemind

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
How the F can anyone root for Kuzy after he basically coasted around for 4 years basically sabotaging the Caps.
How the F can anyone not root for Kuzy after his MVP-worthy performance en route to this team winning its first and only Stanley Cup? He was an instrumental part of the best chapter in Capitals history, and is no worse than the fourth best Center to play for the Capitals in the franchise history (counting time spent actually on a Capitals roster, so not Fedorov as a Red Wing). He concluded his time in Washington with a very disappointing season and a half, absolutely (not 4 years - he had 78 points in 79 games in 2021-22), but he's far from the only Capitals legend to do that during that span. Kuznetsov's struggles came off the ice and with "invisible" ailments, so callous fans turn their back on him in ways that they didn't turn their back on an equally downward trend with Nicklas Backstrom. Just like we realized Backstrom's best days were behind him but still celebrated his past achievements, so the same should we do with Kuznetsov.

Kuzy is a franchise legend, and I'm definitely rooting for him and Orlov to succeed in the playoffs.

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
How the F can anyone not root for Kuzy after his MVP-worthy performance en route to this team winning its first and only Stanley Cup? He was an instrumental part of the best chapter in Capitals history, and is no worse than the fourth best Center to play for the Capitals in the franchise history (counting time spent actually on a Capitals roster, so not Fedorov as a Red Wing). He concluded his time in Washington with a very disappointing season and a half, absolutely (not 4 years - he had 78 points in 79 games in 2021-22), but he's far from the only Capitals legend to do that during that span. Kuznetsov's struggles came off the ice and with "invisible" ailments, so callous fans turn their back on him in ways that they didn't turn their back on an equally downward trend with Nicklas Backstrom. Just like we realized Backstrom's best days were behind him but still celebrated his past achievements, so the same should we do with Kuznetsov.

Kuzy is a franchise legend, and I'm definitely rooting for him and Orlov to succeed in the playoffs.

Ummm, the difference between Backy and Kuzy is GAF/60. Backy physically could not play professional-level hockey anymore so he had the decency to step away. Kuzy has been loafing for years and has even said in the media he was bored of hockey. Yet, was still here, taking a slot away from someone else, and making his money. Different. I wish him well as a person, but as a hockey player, I hope his lackadaisical efforts, which we've already seen continue with the Canes, lead him to nothing of substance.

Have fun rooting for the ghost of Kuzy, Rod, the kooky storm surge, and the Caniacs. Their board could use some insightful posts about how good he was when he liked playing.

Reactions: g00n

Kalopsia

Jun 25, 2018
I know it's petty, but it's easier for me to accept Kuzy's decline if it was because he just doesn't care about hockey in general than if it was because he specifically quit on this team. Maybe some day we'll find out he had some legitimate reason to have a falling out with the organization, but from the outside looking in it seems like the Caps did everything they could to be accommodating. If he succeeds in Carolina, that means he quit on the Caps for no apparent reason, and to me that really tarnishes his legacy.

Last edited:

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I know it's petty, but it's easier for me to accept Kuzy's decline if it was because he just doesn't care about hockey in general than if it was because he specifically quit on this team. Maybe some day we'll find out he had some legitimate reason to have a falling out with the organization, but from the outside looking in it seems like the Caps did everything they could to be accommodating. If he succeeds in Carolina, that means he quit on the Caps for no apparent reason, and to me that really tarnishes his legacy.
His legacy is that Kuzy does what Kuzy wants. For whatever reason, in 2018 he was having fun playing hockey.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
A lot of coaches trying the strategy of changing goalies halfway through a series and it really isn't working.

Vegas switched and Hill was worse than Thompson (oh and also go Dallas, eff Vegas!)

Kings have thrown Rittich into net. Can't imagine that's going to pay off. He's already given up a goal on 5 shots

Boston tried it in game 2 and lost

Toronto is probably the only one making the smart move and switching to Woll. I wouldn't let swimming Sammy anywhere near the net - ever again.

Empty Goal Net

I don't smell disgusting, musky, and rancid
Feb 13, 2010
Let's see...

Backstrom
Maruk
Ridley
Kuzy

Is that right?
Dale Hunter belongs in that group. I'd probably replace Ridley with #32 just based on their respective times w/ the Caps. Oates would belong if the Caps portion of their careers wasn't a factor.

Kazer

Jun 20, 2009
Maryland, US
Pivonka?

2018 aside, Kuzy ranks below MP, DH and MR. IMO.

Shit, add Oates to that. Lazy Lang gives him a run for his money as well.
It really depends on what question you are asking. I would look at it as: Who had the best career as a Washington Capital at center?

Lang didn't play nearly enough games to be in consideration. Lang only scored 143 points in a Caps uniform. Oates and Maruk are also a bit shy to a lesser extent with Oates is at 363 points and Maruk is at 431 points.

Hunter is interesting. Given his captaincy and importance to the franchise (and his own postseason heroics), I would put him ahead.

Backstrom
Hunter (556 - bumping ahead for captaincy and playoff heroics)
Kuznetsov (568 points - bumping ahead Pivonka for playoff heroics and fewer games played)
Pivonka (599 points)
Ridley (547 points; mostly in the much higher scoring 80s and early 90s)

[sidebar: I know some people discount 'adjusted' points but Kuzy jumps ahead of all three when you adjust for scoring era.]

If you are measuring best individual seasons at center for the Caps, then we are having a very different conversation.

Reactions: Empty Goal Net

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad