League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) - 2021-22 season, Vol. 3, Playoffs Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
He was a year away from UFA so not sure what all would be expected. Particularly knowing that Guerin was looking to move him I'd say that's as much as they could have hoped for. It's not Ottawa's pick at #7 but Faber is pretty well thought of.

Sure, but they painted themselves into a corner. On top of the buyouts hurting their cap situation it doesn't help that Guerin ragged on Fiala this offseason. Not a good way to get max value out of a player you knew you had to trade!

Fiala is a very good top line winger and all Minnesota is getting back is a low-ceiling NCAA defenseman and a middling first round pick. Neither is likely to be close to what Fiala is.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
That helps the JT Miller comp a bit. Not apples to apples but pretty close I would say
Yeah Vancouver fans are going to likely be vastly disappointed when they see the JTM return based on their perceived price. They want basically double what Fiala brought back. If Washington can pay a similar price for Miller I'd be in. Alexeyev/Iorio and a 1st.

Kalopsia

Jun 25, 2018
Yeah Vancouver fans are going to likely be vastly disappointed when they see the JTM return based on their perceived price. They want basically double what Fiala brought back. If Washington can pay a similar price for Miller I'd be in. Alexeyev/Iorio and a 1st.
Most Vancouver fans I've seen think they're gonna get triple that or more, typically something like Lapierre, Iorio, a 1st and sometimes even more. This is a good sign that they're living in dreamland. For whatever reason, fans always overrate the returns top forwards generate, particularly when they're either on or about to get a big contract.

Reactions: Holtbyisms

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
Most Vancouver fans I've seen think they're gonna get triple that or more, typically something like Lapierre, Iorio, a 1st and sometimes even more. This is a good sign that they're living in dreamland. For whatever reason, fans always overrate the returns top forwards generate, particularly when they're either on or about to get a big contract.
Or they are a Canadian team who thinks every player is worth multiple 1st round picks - but they also throw the same player under the bus if he can't take a faceoff

Reactions: Holtbyisms

Kalopsia

Jun 25, 2018
Sounds like they had an extension worked out in advance at 7.9M/year. The Evolving Hockey projection was 8x9.4M, so that undercuts anyone trying to say his value was depressed because he was making huge demands for his next contract.

IMO, the last few years of the flat cap is really catching up with a lot of teams and the market for adding an expensive player without sending significant salary back is really small. The Caps w/o Backstrom are really well positioned to capitalize on a buyer's market.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Would have easily paid the Capitals equivalent (1st + Iorio) for Fiala. But hopefully the Capitals manage to get the JT Miller or a similar deal done, and don't regret missing out on Fiala.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Whatever

Whatever gets you through the day.

So the Bolts playing the Habs in the Finals was a quality SC match-up? Lol.
Those are separate discussions. Is it the Finals somebody outside of Montreal would have chosen? Probably not, but you can't play opponents who aren't in front of you. In an ideal world I wouldn't have wanted the Capitals' first cup to come against an expansion team but it's not their or my responsibility that nobody else made it out of the Western Conference.

Reactions: Jags

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021

That's it? Great trade for the Kings. Minnesota's buyouts of Suter and Parise looking pretty questionable right about now.

There was quite a lot of discussion (youtube etc) around Suter and Parise having way too much influence on the Wild organisation and creating negativity etc in the locker room (because it seems they are both prima donnas who felt the entire org revolved around them).
Neither of them is worth what they are being paid (anymore) so mgmt decided to
buy them out knowing it was going to be expensive but in order to start rebuilding they needed to move on from those guys. Also bear in mind the Wild really weren't expected to make the playoffs.

I'm not sure if there were other options - it seems highly unlikely any other team would have traded for them given their cap hits.

Reactions: Kalopsia

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Friedman reporting that Tampa is working with McDonagh to see if there’s a team he’d accept a trade to.

33 years old, getting slower, Cup winner, under contract for three more years… right up our alley :naughty:

crazy8888

Sep 8, 2010
Brooklyn NY
Friedman reporting that Tampa is working with McDonagh to see if there’s a team he’d accept a trade to.

33 years old, getting slower, Cup winner, under contract for three more years… right up our alley :naughty:
The age is not as scary as the amount of miles. Recall hearing somewhere that hes played one of the most playoff games in nhl history. Majority of those games coming in the last decade between tampa and ny.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
McDonagh is a fine player but there are similar quality UFAs that are cheaper and won’t cost assets. I’d pass.

Reactions: Hivemind

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
Actually kinda love the idea of McDonagh, could be a fantastic partner for Carlson. If ever there is a year to try it, they got the cap space, and I don't see any better options available. What the hell

Kalopsia

Jun 25, 2018
The age is not as scary as the amount of miles. Recall hearing somewhere that hes played one of the most playoff games in nhl history. Majority of those games coming in the last decade between tampa and ny.
He's 31st overall, 4th amongst active players behind Chara (45), Thornton (42), and Perry (37). With one more finals run he'd move inside the top 20. Pretty crazy for a guy who just turned 33. Those miles plus the fact that he's under contract for 4 more years at 6.75M make him a pretty scary acquisition. That contract could enter "boat anchor" territory very quickly.

Reactions: PlushMinus

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

He'll have much shorter playoff grinds with the Caps so he can get energized again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad