NHL Stick Flexes

Nuckster

May 3, 2023
I was using a 75 flex cut to about 78 for the past 5-6 years. I liked it for mid and hybrid kickpoints but found it too whippy for low-kicks. Last summer I picked up a low-kick in an 80 (cut to about 83) and it was great.

Ran through a bunch of sticks in a short period and had to find a quick replacement, and came across a FT5 Pro (hybrid kickpoint) in a 70 flex and bought it. And as an experiment, I haven't cut it yet so the flex rating is true.

Maybe I haven't learned to shoot with it but my first impressions shooting in warm up weren't positive. Felt like a wet noodle when shooting. Then there was receiving hard passes. Despite the dampened core blade, the puck was exploding off the blade with flexing recoil action of the 70 flex. This 70 flex may not work for me. I may of already had it dialed in with the 75 for mids/hybrids and 80 for the low kicks.
I used to use an 85. Much like you, went to a 75. I wanted it because in my shinny games getting wrist shots off faster was needed.

However, as you, I found it way too whippy and actually have lost both power and accuracy on my shot and passing, same issues as you as well.

I was temped watching NHL'ers rip shots with a lower flex but I guess maybe some of us can't / don't get the benefit of it due to the way we shoot. I have a very hard shot so its odd, and annoying....but I'm going back to an 85

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I used to use an 85. Much like you, went to a 75. I wanted it because in my shinny games getting wrist shots off faster was needed.

However, as you, I found it way too whippy and actually have lost both power and accuracy on my shot and passing, same issues as you as well.

I was temped watching NHL'ers rip shots with a lower flex but I guess maybe some of us can't / don't get the benefit of it due to the way we shoot. I have a very hard shot so its odd, and annoying....but I'm going back to an 85
What types of shots do you take and how do you shoot? Do you snap it? Do you pull back and go for a heavy drag shot? Do you wind up for slapshots? Do you hold the top of the shaft out in front a little bit and then pull it back as your pushing down/foward with your lower hand to release the puck, or is the shaft closer to your chest?

Borschevsky

Aug 9, 2005
I just started getting brand new gear after not having played for over 15 years. I was still using a two piece stick the last time I played.

Went to the store and the guy recommended me a 65 flex partly due to my height I think. I'm not the tallest guy around. This could take a bit getting used to. The weight of these new one piece sticks is also kind of throwing me off. It's nice though.

Reactions: Boxscore

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I should definitely use a higher flex stick. But also, idgaf because i'm playing beer league hockey and i don't want to pay a hundred bucks a week for a broken stick. lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad