NHL Stick Flexes

Burkeocet

Nov 2, 2019
I’m 30 and when growing up, there was really only 85 and 100. Using lower flexes wasn’t common at all.

With modern stick technology though, it’s crazy what a new stick can do for you. I tried out a 77 flex and the pop was crazy. My shot felt quite a bit better

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I was using a 75 flex cut to about 78 for the past 5-6 years. I liked it for mid and hybrid kickpoints but found it too whippy for low-kicks. Last summer I picked up a low-kick in an 80 (cut to about 83) and it was great.

Ran through a bunch of sticks in a short period and had to find a quick replacement, and came across a FT5 Pro (hybrid kickpoint) in a 70 flex and bought it. And as an experiment, I haven't cut it yet so the flex rating is true.

Maybe I haven't learned to shoot with it but my first impressions shooting in warm up weren't positive. Felt like a wet noodle when shooting. Then there was receiving hard passes. Despite the dampened core blade, the puck was exploding off the blade with flexing recoil action of the 70 flex. This 70 flex may not work for me. I may of already had it dialed in with the 75 for mids/hybrids and 80 for the low kicks.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
When flex first became a thing I was getting 90, and then cutting the stick a few inches, so it was probably closer to 95. (I had no idea what the flex thing was). Used this for years then tried to use a flex 70 or something and it felt like I was going to snap the stick everytime I shot it, and stick handling was much harder, felt so awkward so I just stuck with a very stiff stick and enjoyed it.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I was using a 75 flex cut to about 78 for the past 5-6 years. I liked it for mid and hybrid kickpoints but found it too whippy for low-kicks. Last summer I picked up a low-kick in an 80 (cut to about 83) and it was great.

Ran through a bunch of sticks in a short period and had to find a quick replacement, and came across a FT5 Pro (hybrid kickpoint) in a 70 flex and bought it. And as an experiment, I haven't cut it yet so the flex rating is true.

Maybe I haven't learned to shoot with it but my first impressions shooting in warm up weren't positive. Felt like a wet noodle when shooting. Then there was receiving hard passes. Despite the dampened core blade, the puck was exploding off the blade with flexing recoil action of the 70 flex. This 70 flex may not work for me. I may of already had it dialed in with the 75 for mids/hybrids and 80 for the low kicks.
With the lower flex sticks, at first there was an adjustment period for me with making sure my bottom hand was kept tighter than I normal had it, especially for redirections on net, one timers, and receiving hard passes.

Reactions: BruinDust

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
Dont play much anymore and dont shop for hockey stick
About 15-20 years ago I used 75 flex when that was considers junior flex and tougher to find a senior stick that was in the 70s back then
Most were using 85+ and higher
It amazing how things have changed

nergish

Jun 1, 2019
Easton Typhoon Hockey Shaft | SidelineSwap

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
With the lower flex sticks, at first there was an adjustment period for me with making sure my bottom hand was kept tighter than I normal had it, especially for redirections on net, one timers, and receiving hard passes.

That's good advice. Thanks.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I struggle with the right flex..

Growing up I was a slapshotter with a 100 flex. The shot was high event meaning it was hard, high and inaccurate lol.

No one in 2023 appreciated that shot in pickup hockey... No one! I agree with them.

So I tried to become more of a wrist shotter... And with an 85 flex I have a decent pickup wrist shot. But my slapper is shit.

Then I tried to learn these quick snapshots... I absolutely can't do them... Muffin everytime.

I would legit pay for adult coaching clinics to teach me how to do these high flex snapshots with a quick release. I just can't figure them out at all!

And now when I play I went from dangerous slapshot.. get out of the way... To the muffin man.lol

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
Cycle around the faceoff circle in the off wing and learn the drag , curl and wrister. It’s very natural movement
Cycle around the faceoff circle in the strong side
I’m carrying the puck on my backhand I find it faster to release the puck with more snap release then curl/drag /wrist
I see the slapper/clapper in pros more when player gets one timer. Carrying the puck to the blue line and making slap shot need time and space

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I struggle with the right flex..

Growing up I was a slapshotter with a 100 flex. The shot was high event meaning it was hard, high and inaccurate lol.

No one in 2023 appreciated that shot in pickup hockey... No one! I agree with them.

So I tried to become more of a wrist shotter... And with an 85 flex I have a decent pickup wrist shot. But my slapper is shit.

Then I tried to learn these quick snapshots... I absolutely can't do them... Muffin everytime.

I would legit pay for adult coaching clinics to teach me how to do these high flex snapshots with a quick release. I just can't figure them out at all!

And now when I play I went from dangerous slapshot.. get out of the way... To the muffin man.lol
Offers remote shooting lessons. I'm actually surprised there wasn't a lot more of these clinics popping up during covid, but I guess it's hard for others to get rink time to practice them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Czechboy

Burkeocet

Nov 2, 2019
Dont play much anymore and dont shop for hockey stick
About 15-20 years ago I used 75 flex when that was considers junior flex and tougher to find a senior stick that was in the 70s back then
Most were using 85+ and higher
It amazing how things have changed
Stick technology surely is it. I used to use a 100 back in the day and I tried out a 77.. it felt great. A bit whipper than I’d like but I just felt like I could lean into it and the stick did all the work. They’ve come a long ways since I aged out of minor hockey.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
I’ve used everything from 75 up to 105. I stick with my standard 85 (60” stick cut down 2”) Even an 80 flex (Jon Sim Ultra Lite shaft) feels like a wet noodle. Just too much flex feels like it kills my shot. Flex however is a personal preference and the kick point itself makes a difference with how the flex feels. These guys today seem to like a lower kick point based on shooting style.

Reactions: BruinDust

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I’ve used everything from 75 up to 105. I stick with my standard 85 (60” stick cut down 2”) Even an 80 flex (Jon Sim Ultra Lite shaft) feels like a wet noodle. Just too much flex feels like it kills my shot. Flex however is a personal preference and the kick point itself makes a difference with how the flex feels. These guys today seem to like a lower kick point based on shooting style.

I find matching the kickpoint to the flex can matter.

From what I've read online, the consensus is the lower the kick-point, the lower the flex. I found it to be the exact opposite. I found I've preferred 75 flexes for hybrid and mid, and I've like my 80 flex low kicks better than my 75 flex low kicks.

I'm primarily a CCM guy. (dabble a bit with Trues as wel) If I had the coin, I'd love to try an 80 flex low kick,(Ribcore) a 75 flex hybrid (Jetspeed) , and a 70 flex mid (Tacks) to see if that correlation (up in kickpoint, down in flex) continues.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
I find matching the kickpoint to the flex can matter.

From what I've read online, the consensus is the lower the kick-point, the lower the flex. I found it to be the exact opposite. I found I've preferred 75 flexes for hybrid and mid, and I've like my 80 flex low kicks better than my 75 flex low kicks.

I'm primarily a CCM guy. (dabble a bit with Trues as wel) If I had the coin, I'd love to try an 80 flex low kick,(Ribcore) a 75 flex hybrid (Jetspeed) , and a 70 flex mid (Tacks) to see if that correlation (up in kickpoint, down in flex) continues.
I’m still using SE16s that are 85 flex (pro stock). I also have mid kick EK60s that are 85 flex as well. I’ve used used other sticks over the years like the Widow and S19. My Ultra Lite grip shaft is a 80 flex and feels like a rubber band. Nothing more recent though. I’d like to find a low kick Kane pro pattern but I’m not looking to shell out $200 for a stick I’m going to test out.

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
I had a 75 a while back and found I couldn't control any hard passes. Felt like my stick would bend hard when the puck hit the blade. Nice wrist shot but everything else I hated about it

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I use a prostock 110 flex and cut about 6.5 inches off the top, making it likely a 125 flex, which I love. I'm an old head who is used to the heavy, firm wood sticks, so the more stiff the better. I absolutely hate those low number flexes, ugh, don't know how all you people do it. :laugh:

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I use a prostock 110 flex and cut about 6.5 inches off the top, making it likely a 125 flex, which I love. I'm an old head who is used to the heavy, firm wood sticks, so the more stiff the better. I absolutely hate those low number flexes, ugh, don't know how all you people do it. :laugh:
How tall are you? 6.5 off a standard stick is a lot.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Was thinking the same, I’ve varied over the years between 1-2” cut off. Have tried using between 87-100 flex. If go any lower, seems like passes are harder to control and bounce off, don’t like the shot turns into muffins. Slap shots with too low of a flex are too hit and miss, mostly miss.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
5-10, but my twigs are prostock sticks made for Jarred Tinordi who is 6-6. They are not retail sticks, they are from his batch. I ordered 7 of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad