NHL St Louis tells Peoria they're moving AHL affiliate

smurfyeah19

Feb 3, 2012
Why not Toledo? I mean the Walleye enjoy currently the 4th best attendance in the ECHL at 6300 a game, plus they play in this amazing new arena in downtown. Heck they regularly sell out the 11,000 seat baseball stadium where the Detroit Tigers AAA team MudHens play

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Are there any other affiliation agreements that expire after this season?

The Wolves seem to be the only team now that Vancouver bought the Rivermen. Personally I'm upset with the Blues' decision to sell them... we have been seeing many of the AHL guys develope and earn callups lately. I liked the fact that the Blues were in charge with everything. The Wolves while they are a very well run organization, I don't think it is the right fit for the Blues.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Going to be at tonight's Rivermen game, so interested to see what the crowd will be like for one or their last games.

Why not Toledo? I mean the Walleye enjoy currently the 4th best attendance in the ECHL at 6300 a game, plus they play in this amazing new arena in downtown. Heck they regularly sell out the 11,000 seat baseball stadium where the Detroit Tigers AAA team MudHens play

And I don't have a link for it, as I'm mobile, but I think that the Walleye's own ownership has poo-pooed the idea of Toledo moving up to the AHL due to the extra costs associated with higher affiliation and that they're happy with the good thing they've got going now at the AA level.

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
Going to be at tonight's Rivermen game, so interested to see what the crowd will be like for one or their last games.

And I don't have a link for it, as I'm mobile, but I think that the Walleye's own ownership has poo-pooed the idea of Toledo moving up to the AHL due to the extra costs associated with higher affiliation and that they're happy with the good thing they've got going now at the AA level.

Its not like anyone can just "move up" to the AHL. They would have to buy a franchise and not sure if any are for sale.

spd

Jun 15, 2011
Wonder where the Canucks prospects end up...

http://www.abbotsford.ca/Assets/Abbotsford/News+Releases/2013-04-22+Heat+Remain+Abbotsford$!27s+Team.pdf

Hopefully they will be in Peoria.

http://www.pjstar.com/eminian/x1431014121/Eminian-Faithfully-furnished

This is probably the only way there is hockey in Peoria next season and this would help bridge the gap until another team can be brought here. It would make sense for Vancouver since almost everything is in place here. The only downside would be getting prospects back and forth to Vancouver, but we have daily flights to a lot of airline hubs here.

I still can't believe that the Blues did this to Peoria. Selling the Rivermen didn't bother me as much as the timing of the deal. It was so late in the season that it would be difficult to get a new team in here for next season.

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
Wow so the Flames screwed over the Blues and Canucks by not moving the Heat. The Canucks paid the $90,000 penalty but may end up playing there next season. Honestly, I think the Canucks and their AHL team could play out of the Rogers Arena but that would be the worst-case scenario.

MM658

Feb 7, 2011
Springfield, MA area
Are there any other affiliation agreements that expire after this season?
My tally is VERY unofficial and the result of cursory-at-best investigation, but here's the affiliation agreements that either expire after the '12/'13 season or have an unknown (to me) expiration:

Binghamton/Ottawa - unknown expiration
Milwaukee/Nashville - expires after this season, last I heard
Chicago/Vancouver - exipred - obviously done for good at this point
Charlotte/Carolina - unknown expiration
San Antonio/Florida - unknown expiration

All others are either parent-owned or affiliation agreements exist through 2014 at least (of course, all such contracts are written in pencil, it seems).

Feel free to correct any stale information I've unknowingly stated.

Last edited:

MM658

Feb 7, 2011
Springfield, MA area
Wow so the Flames screwed over the Blues and Canucks by not moving the Heat.
Not sure I'd characterise it that way, based on that Abbotsford release. It was worded to indicate that Abbotsford negotiated with the Canucks but couldn't come to a lease agreement that worked for the city.

It wouldn't surprise me if this was not the end of the story. The "business as usual" aspect of the Abbostford/Flames agreement seems suspect, given that the Flames were supposedly ready to unilaterally move to Utica regardless of what Vancouver did.

Again, this is just me reading between the lines, but I'd say the current situation can be summed up as: the Canucks will definitely NOT have their affiliate in Abbotsford, but the Flames' prospects will play in either Abbotsford OR Utica, TBD. Probably the former, but possibly not.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Its not like anyone can just "move up" to the AHL. They would have to buy a franchise and not sure if any are for sale.

I'm aware, but was mostly just bringing up the fact that Toledo's ownership is cool with staying at the ECHL level, so it's not going to be them bringing AHL level hockey to that market should it ever come.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Hopefully they will be in Peoria.

http://www.pjstar.com/eminian/x1431014121/Eminian-Faithfully-furnished

This is probably the only way there is hockey in Peoria next season and this would help bridge the gap until another team can be brought here. It would make sense for Vancouver since almost everything is in place here. The only downside would be getting prospects back and forth to Vancouver, but we have daily flights to a lot of airline hubs here.

I still can't believe that the Blues did this to Peoria. Selling the Rivermen didn't bother me as much as the timing of the deal. It was so late in the season that it would be difficult to get a new team in here for next season.

What makes you think if the AHL leaves Peoria now that it would ever return? I think the next team Peoria gets will be an ECHL one honestly.

jordanpwilliams

Sep 17, 2010
San Antonio, TX
My tally is VERY unofficial and the result of cursory-at-best investigation, but here's the affiliation agreements that either expire after the '12/'13 season or have an unknown (to me) expiration:

San Antonio and Florida will be partnered through next season at least

spd

Jun 15, 2011
What makes you think if the AHL leaves Peoria now that it would ever return? I think the next team Peoria gets will be an ECHL one honestly.

I don't think an AHL team will return. I think an ECHL team eventually will move into Peoria. Unfortunately it is too late for one to be here for next season. In the meantime, the best situation would be Vancouver operating their AHL team in Peoria for the next season or two while they try to relocate to Abbotsford. That would keep hockey in Peoria while a local group can be found to bring an ECHL team here.

MinWild1

May 25, 2012
Unless an AHL team comes to Tennessee, don't expect the Milwaukee/Nashville affiliation to ever end

MinWild1

May 25, 2012
Why? All it takes is one p[erson to come into Nashville in control and want some changes. I have long term doubts that Nashville will even last.

You obviously don't realize how close a connection these two organizations have, there relationship is probably one of if not the best in all of the AHL/NHL Affiliations. Just take a look at Nashville roster from the past 5 years, almost every single player on that list played in Milwaukee first.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine

All others are either parent-owned or affiliation agreements exist through 2014 at least (of course, all such contracts are written in pencil, it seems).

Feel free to correct any stale information I've unknowingly stated.

Most if not all above are through 2015-16, MM658, AT THE latest, and NSH/MIL extended earlier this season , and no, Charlotte isn't owned by Carolina, but that was at least five years, when Kahn bought the license from Robb in Albany.

SA is unique because it's an NBA Owned/operated franchise....

you forgot Houston soon to become the Iowa Wild next season

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
Twitter-driven rumors up in the Business of Hockey forum that the Canucks may be looking at Seattle's Key Arena as the home of their newly-purchased AHL franchise next season...

MM658

Feb 7, 2011
Springfield, MA area
Most if not all above are through 2015-16, MM658, AT THE latest, and NSH/MIL extended earlier this season , and no, Charlotte isn't owned by Carolina, but that was at least five years, when Kahn bought the license from Robb in Albany.

SA is unique because it's an NBA Owned/operated franchise....

you forgot Houston soon to become the Iowa Wild next season
I didn't forget Houston, as I was discussing only affiliation agreements, not situations where the parent club owns the farm team.

Thanks to all who noted that NSH/MIL was extended this year.

This topic might make a good sticky in a thread of it's own: Current affiliation agreements and their expiration date. (With the realization, of course, that all such agreements are written and signed in pencil!)

pelts35.com

Oct 4, 2004
www.pelts35.com

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad