HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Wow, only $90,000? When I heard that there was going to be a penalty for leaving early, I was guessing closer to a million. That's an accounting error in the eventual sale of the team comparatively.

And, oddly enough, I'll be going to a Chiefs (baseball)/Rivermen doubleheader in Peoria on April 20th with my dad. Will be interesting to see what the crowd's like for that.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Is there any explanation of what happened? I thought that the Blues and Peoria had a decent working relationship.

Dizzon

Dec 23, 2008
BFE
I don't know the specifics but I think buying the Blues meant buying them in a package deal that included the Rivermen and maybe a opera house? and/or something else? Whatever, the point is Stillman apparently made it clear he only wanted the Blues so the assumption was he'd move the other assets when he had a chance, i.e., the Rivermen.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
I don't know the specifics but I think buying the Blues meant buying them in a package deal that included the Rivermen and maybe a opera house? and/or something else? Whatever, the point is Stillman apparently made it clear he only wanted the Blues so the assumption was he'd move the other assets when he had a chance, i.e., the Rivermen.

OK - thanks to the both of you who responded!

Much appreciated.

HockeylessInHouston

May 29, 2007
I'm not sure Utica even has an AHL caliber rink.

Interesting that this is happening at the same time we are hearing that our Aeros might be moving, too. Lease is up at the end of the season and we have an expensive barn.

Wonder if the Wild are moving out and Calgary might be moving in? :amazed:

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
Wendell Young was interviewed last night during the game. He said (probably lying) that all he knows was what he heard in the announcement. He did say St. Louis and several other teams have contacted him about affiliating next year.....

My guess is St. Louis, Chicago, Florida (cause they need money), Minnesota, Columbus (cause they need money), Tampa Bay (cause they need money). The Wolves/Blackhawks relationship has thawed tremendously since Rocky took over.

Also, we do not know if the Flames will do their normal 2-3 year bail out. Maybe the Canucks move their AHL team to Seattle.......

Disengage

Nov 11, 2007
Wendell Young was interviewed last night during the game. He said (probably lying) that all he knows was what he heard in the announcement. He did say St. Louis and several other teams have contacted him about affiliating next year.....

My guess is St. Louis, Chicago, Florida (cause they need money), Minnesota, Columbus (cause they need money), Tampa Bay (cause they need money). The Wolves/Blackhawks relationship has thawed tremendously since Rocky took over.

Also, we do not know if the Flames will do their normal 2-3 year bail out. Maybe the Canucks move their AHL team to Seattle.......

Tampa Bay has another 2 years in Syracuse.

Florida has scheduled a preseason game in San Antonio so I would think that's a good sign they're staying put.

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
Tampa Bay has another 2 years in Syracuse.

Florida has scheduled a preseason game in San Antonio so I would think that's a good sign they're staying put.

And Calgary has had another several years on their deals in Omaha, Quad City, and Abbottsford.......

Next years schedule isn't out yet, pre or regular season so how can they have a game scheduled??

Disengage

Nov 11, 2007
Why wouldn't the Blues move this team to Kansas City? You would think that building would be very interested in an AHL team and major tenant.

I've heard KC doesn't want an AHL team because possible poor support would hinder getting an NHL team.

And Calgary has had another several years on their deals in Omaha, Quad City, and Abbottsford.......

Next years schedule isn't out yet, pre or regular season so how can they have a game scheduled??

http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/0C004A72C4AEC301?camefrom=CFC_RAMPAGE_NHL_PRETIX

BlueAero

Apr 19, 2013
Houston, TX
Houston's vacancy sign is lit! Oh wait, Les Alexander wants Justin Bieber and Taylor Swift to fill the Toyota Center on the nights the Rockets don't play so hockey is not wanted in the Bayou City I guess.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
I've heard KC doesn't want an AHL team because possible poor support would hinder getting an NHL team.

If I'm the NHL and KC people I'd want to test the waters with an AHL team before going the distance with a relocated or expansion franchise. If the AHL team does well then both parties take the next step and if it doesn't then no big harm done.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Having an AHL team in no way proves that the market would be good or bad when it comes to an NHL.

If the AHL team draws 3,000 a game that doesn't mean the NHL will fail and if the AHL team draws 12,000 that doesn't mean the NHL will succeed.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
so for sure Blues are moving their franchise to Chicago Wolves for their ahl team?

Awkward wording.

The Blues do not own an AHL franchise anymore (sold to Vancouver Canucks). Nominally, they'll be looking for a new affiliation for next season (and beyond). The seemingly only "unaffiliated" entity is Chicago (with Vancouver moving on).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad