NHL Restricted Free Agency - An introductory guide

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
They've been attempting to do a contract all season and havent been able to hammer it out. I also believe that Montreal will try and use his play down the stretch to lowball him, and he'll (with good reason) balk at that. And that doesnt preclude another team giving him an enormous offer if they dont get a deal done by July 1.

Philly hasnt made the news in at least three months, and desperately needs a Dman like Subban. Whats to stop them?

I dont believe Burke would have ever offer sheeted Kessel. He gave the appearance of lining up the pieces to do it, but I doubt he actually would have committed. Just used the thread of one as a tool to get Boston to budge.

Burke also payed more in picks then he would have had he just offer sheeting Kessel.

Bluejaysfan*

I've been a Leafs fan forever but if Subban ever came to TO it would be my last day cheering for them. He is the most despised and overrated player in the NHL. He displays flair when given some ice but generally turns the puck over. He's the weakest dman the Habs have defensively. Like Brian McCabe, teams have learned how to defend his shot from the point and this has diminished his effectiveness immensely.

Bye bye then...and take your ego with you.

I'll gladly take a Norris-caliber D-man regardless of how he is perceived around the league. If team's have learned to defend his shot from the point, why did he have 53 points this year and 10 goals? Or ppg in the playoffs?

If the Leafs want to send a message to the rest of the league and finally use their financial-power, offersheet Subban, who cares what the consequences are? If we're so worried about Rielly possibly getting offersheeted by the Habs in return, it means a couple things:

1. Rielly has reached his potential as a Norris caliber D-man if teams want to offersheet him Subban money.

2. We would have 2 #1 D-men in Rielly and Subban

3. We still have the ultimate say in if we want to match or not whatever a team offers Rielly

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Down side to Offer Sheets is it can help the Team who owns the Players rights lock him up for a very long time.

Weber won't ever leave Nashville now unless the Team decides it, for example.

Bluejaysfan*

Down side to Offer Sheets is it can help the Team who owns the Players rights lock him up for a very long time.

Weber won't ever leave Nashville now unless the Team decides it, for example.

However if you offer more money than what the team originally wants to give, it would bind their flexibility with the cap going forward. Obviously the Preds are exempt from this because they aren't notorious spenders.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
However if you offer more money than what the team originally wants to give, it would bind their flexibility with the cap going forward. Obviously the Preds are exempt from this because they aren't notorious spenders.

I suppose, you could also bind your own.

I would think Tampa, for example, would have been happy if Stamkos signed a 10 year Offer. That ensures he won't reach UFA for a very long time.

No Team is going to accept picks for top end guys, it doesn't make sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad