NHL Restricted Free Agency - An introductory guide

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
This thread is about ....
RFA (Restricted Free Agency) in the NHL.

I was semi-worried that if the Leafs got a good thing going next year (Yes, Yes I am stupid) .... we'd lose Bernier anyway, because his contract ends next year. He'll be a RFA when his contract ends ..... so how hard would it be for someone to grab him ? I think it'll be harder for someone to get him that I thought.

I did hear that ..
As far as Bernier goes, he's an RFA so he's not going to have a choice. Toronto will qualify him, which means that they can match any offer he accepts and he can't refuse it. But here's the biggest problem - offer sheet compensation. If the Pens were to offer him $3.5- to $5-million a year, it'll cost them a 1st + a 3rd in compensation; $5- to $6.75-million a year would cost them a 1st + a 2nd + a 3rd in compensation.

That means that no only would the Pens need the cap space, but they'll have to hold onto at least their 1st + 3rd round picks for 2016. That's going to really hurt them when it comes to the trading block.

Does that sound right ?
Anyone know of a good primer guide to NHL RFA ?
All help appreciated.
:)

I guess, if possible, use Bernier as an example.

Last edited:

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
I think this might be useful:

QUALIFYING OFFER CALCULATOR

Under the collective bargaining agreement, teams must extend a qualifying offer to a restricted free agent to retain his negotiating rights. If a team opts not to tender a qualifying offer to a player, the player becomes an unrestricted free agent. If a player rejects a qualifying offer, he remains a restricted free agent. The amount of a qualifying offer follows specific guidelines and is calculated from the player's base salary. The following calculator simplifies the process of determining the amount.

http://www.capgeek.com/qualifying-offer-calculator/

This looks like a digestible summary.

http://proicehockey.about.com/od/nhlfreeagents/a/nhl_free_agents_2.htm

Last edited:

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
While a couple picks might look good, the only reason they would do that is because he has proven for 2 years in a row that he is indeed a #1 goaltender, that they see him as a better option than MAF, and they see him as the answer to their playoff woes. If that's the case, we have to match because we aren't getting another goaltender with those picks that could help like him for at least 2 years after the draft, probably more, or we could get more in a trade because we are one hella crap team and we sold everyone else.

MoeMoney

Mar 11, 2012
Hes not at risk to an offer sheet IMO.

I am VERY interested to see what happens to a certain RFA in Montreal this summer though....

Who Subban? I'de be shocked if they don't lock him up, next to Price he's their most important player and will be for many years to come.

MoeMoney

Mar 11, 2012
The Avs have an abundance of high level young forwards, what's the situation there? Could see one of them being let go due to not enough cap space to lock them all up.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
one would have to assume the teams to offer sheet target are the poor teams. that sounds wrong and bad to say - but it's true.

I'm still mystified that the Leafs didn't offersheet stamkos. I know that would mean you'd have to qualify him at that or whatever - but whatever. I think this believe of "well I won't offersheet your guy, if you don't offersheet ours" is dumb. If the Leafs gave up picks to get actual fantastic players that make a difference - go for it - have at them, I will not cry.

but people keep going well this makes trading harder.meh i figure if you had the piece a team wanted they'd trade with you.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
The Avs have an abundance of high level young forwards, what's the situation there? Could see one of them being let go due to not enough cap space to lock them all up.

Their only real weakness is defense. How much sense would it make to turn our defense into an even bigger weakness for another forward unless we are getting rid of Phaneuf, Lupul, Clarkson ect and rebuilding

Bluejaysfan*

one would have to assume the teams to offer sheet target are the poor teams. that sounds wrong and bad to say - but it's true.

I'm still mystified that the Leafs didn't offersheet stamkos. I know that would mean you'd have to qualify him at that or whatever - but whatever. I think this believe of "well I won't offersheet your guy, if you don't offersheet ours" is dumb. If the Leafs gave up picks to get actual fantastic players that make a difference - go for it - have at them, I will not cry.

but people keep going well this makes trading harder.meh i figure if you had the piece a team wanted they'd trade with you.

Exactly. And even if you do lose 4 first round picks offer-sheeting for a guy like Stamkos, odds are the 4 players selected don't come close to the impact Stamkos has. If I were the Leafs, I would look to offersheet Subban if Montreal lowballs him. The Leafs don't ever have to worry about the future trade scenario because they rarely ever trade with the Habs. Best case scenario you end up with an amazing, #1, Norris winning D-man. Worst case is that you restrict the Habs financially depending on the contract.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
o
I'm still mystified that the Leafs didn't offersheet stamkos. I know that would mean you'd have to qualify him at that or whatever - but whatever.

I think its Because the Lightning would have matched any offersheet. I don't think they were going to let him go for picks.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario

maybe they offered him a contract and he refused to sign it?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Next year I would hope that Dave Nonis assuming he is still the GM or whoever that would be is is able to re-sign Bernier prior to him becoming an RFA just so we know it's done. Now even if that doesn't happen I'm not sure there would be any other teams who would think about giving Bernier an offer sheet. If the Flyers had not signed Steve Mason to that 4 year contract extension I would say are the one team who would consider an offer sheet to Bernier, however now I don't think that will happen.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

Since Brian Burke was considering doing an offer sheet for Phil Kessel, I would have thought that maybe he would consider giving one to Stamkos. Although in the end I think Tampa would have matched it and maybe Burke also realized that.

FifthLine

@AHartScout
Jul 2, 2011
toronto
Nonis wouldn't do it. Isn't ballsy enough to offer sheet a guy like subban. Most gms don't do it because when the situation is flipped and its their rfa, they don't want teams to offer sheet their guy.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
Nonis wouldn't do it. Isn't ballsy enough to offer sheet a guy like subban. Most gms don't do it because when the situation is flipped and its their rfa, they don't want teams to offer sheet their guy.

I think Subban is the exact guy you should offer sheet, if you are in the same division, can cause some problems for the team and it's the freaking Habs.

FifthLine

@AHartScout
Jul 2, 2011
toronto
I think Subban is the exact guy you should offer sheet, if you are in the same division, can cause some problems for the team and it's the freaking Habs.

I agree we SHOULD. But I'm saying Nonis won't do it, because once Bernier or Kadri for that matter Become a restricted free agent Montreal will offer sheet them as retaliation.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Who Subban? I'de be shocked if they don't lock him up, next to Price he's their most important player and will be for many years to come.

They've been attempting to do a contract all season and havent been able to hammer it out. I also believe that Montreal will try and use his play down the stretch to lowball him, and he'll (with good reason) balk at that. And that doesnt preclude another team giving him an enormous offer if they dont get a deal done by July 1.

Philly hasnt made the news in at least three months, and desperately needs a Dman like Subban. Whats to stop them?

Since Brian Burke was considering doing an offer sheet for Phil Kessel, I would have thought that maybe he would consider giving one to Stamkos. Although in the end I think Tampa would have matched it and maybe Burke also realized that.

I dont believe Burke would have ever offer sheeted Kessel. He gave the appearance of lining up the pieces to do it, but I doubt he actually would have committed. Just used the thread of one as a tool to get Boston to budge.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I agree we SHOULD. But I'm saying Nonis won't do it, because once Bernier or Kadri for that matter Become a restricted free agent Montreal will offer sheet them as retaliation.

Rielly would be the player to watch for. They wouldnt pay Kadri enough that we would refuse to match, and they wont have two goalies making 5m+ either in bernier and Price.

leafstilldeath*

Hes not at risk to an offer sheet IMO.

I am VERY interested to see what happens to a certain RFA in Montreal this summer though....

I would LOVE IT if the leafs could offer sheet Subban. PK is exactly what the leafs need. High energy guy more importantly young.

Sorry but I love the way Subban plays. That said, Nonis has ruined our cap so much that I unfortunately do not see this happening.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
They've been attempting to do a contract all season and havent been able to hammer it out. I also believe that Montreal will try and use his play down the stretch to lowball him, and he'll (with good reason) balk at that. And that doesnt preclude another team giving him an enormous offer if they dont get a deal done by July 1.

Philly hasnt made the news in at least three months, and desperately needs a Dman like Subban. Whats to stop them?

I dont believe Burke would have ever offer sheeted Kessel. He gave the appearance of lining up the pieces to do it, but I doubt he actually would have committed. Just used the thread of one as a tool to get Boston to budge.

and you KNOW Philly isn't afraid to do it (they offer-sheeted Weber).
i've been hearing that they are going to try to say they can give Subban the money but it means that his partner (or other pieces) have to go.

edbrubaker*

I would LOVE IT if the leafs could offer sheet Subban. PK is exactly what the leafs need. High energy guy more importantly young.

Sorry but I love the way Subban plays. That said, Nonis has ruined our cap so much that I unfortunately do not see this happening.
I don't want the nightmare of handing Montreal four 1st round picks.

If we signed him 8.4, that'd be two 1sts, 2nd and 3rd.... pretty steep on top of the cap hit.

Covenant

Jun 4, 2006
I've been a Leafs fan forever but if Subban ever came to TO it would be my last day cheering for them. He is the most despised and overrated player in the NHL. He displays flair when given some ice but generally turns the puck over. He's the weakest dman the Habs have defensively. Like Brian McCabe, teams have learned how to defend his shot from the point and this has diminished his effectiveness immensely.

likeabosski

Jul 31, 2013

The Leafs giving up the 2015 1st round pick for a quality RFA would be risky. What if one of our ping pong balls in the NHL lottery draft turns out to be the one that gets McDavid? :laugh: What horrible luck that would be if we traded the pick and that happened.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad