GDT: NHL Playoffs

Sarge58

Jan 25, 2014
I don't mind if either team wins, if the Blues win it gives me hope that Minnesota could win it some year and if the Bruins wins it means the Blues didn't win.

Reactions: stlwahoo

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Yeah, I figured the Bruins would take this but have no problem watching the Blues win their first. It's hard to be all that invested one way or the other :laugh:

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Who wins MVP? I would have said ROR until tonight... now it might be Binnington.

Sarge58

Jan 25, 2014
Binningtons been pretty good most of the series especially tonight but for overall play throughout the series I think you have to give it to ROR.

Reactions: Spektre

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I agree with your main point, but St. Louis is not a good example. Best team in the league the second half of the season.
They're a good example of a team that's been considered to be in the same purgatory that the Wild are: good but not great, can't get past the 2nd round, need to blow it up, etc.

Then you look at who led them to that cup...
O'Reilly - 2nd round pick, traded for
Binnington - 3rd round pick
Pietrangelo - #4 overall
Tarasenko - #16 overall
Schwartz - #14 overall
Schenn - #5 overall, traded for
Bouwmeester - #3 overall (a million years ago), traded for
Parayko - 3rd round pick

And the next wave of young guys they have coming...
Dunn - 2nd round pick
Fabbri - #21 overall
Thomas - #20 overall
Blais - 6th round pick
Kyrou - 2nd round pick

Pietrangelo's basically the only guy the Blues themselves drafted in the top-10 and that was 11 years ago. The rest of that roster was put together with trades, mid-to-late 1sts or later picks, and UFAs. It's exactly the approach that HFBoards seems to think cannot win a cup.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
To add to your point regarding trades @Bazeek :

One of the areas I'm very nervous about going into this next season is moving forward with some combination of Staal/Koivu/Rask/Ek as top 6 centers.

In 2017, we traded a 1st, 2nd and 4th for 25 games/14 points of Martin Hanzal as a rental, while that offseason the Blues traded 2 1st rounders (and Lehtera) for Brayden Schenn (with 3 years left until UFA) who has scored 124 points in 154 regular season games and 12 points in 26 playoff games. Not exactly efficient use of our high draft picks in trades.

Last edited:
Reactions: Spektre and Bazeek

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
To add to your point regarding trades @Bazeek :

The flip side is that, looking at my list above, St Louis did a great job with their later 1sts, 2nds and 3rds over the years. That's part of what allowed them to be aggressive with Schenn and exploit an obvious mistake by another GM with O'Reilly.

For various reasons Minnesota hasn't done as well with that and Fenton's got a lot of work to do, but it's a valid route to take. It'll be interesting to see what we take out of the 2nd-7th rounds this year, because the early returns on last years later picks seem pretty good. Not sure how much the scouting and front office turnover will affect things but it's cause for optimism, as is actually having a 2nd this year.

Reactions: Engebretson

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Right, the key difference is that they have an elite center, and we don't have any current way of getting one. I don't think we even have the assets for one anymore.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Which is another problem. Gotta strike on those when you get the chance.

That you do. And maybe take a chance when you get the chance.

There were a lot of Wild fans that would not have been happy with an ROR trade last summer, as it would've probably meant Kunin and a 1st going the other way, among other smaller pieces, and he was thought of as a loser and an overpaid 2nd line center.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad