NHL players with bad vision

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
An outtake from "Behind the B" featuring Ryan Spooner in glasses:

[NHL]889251[/NHL]

I'm not sure if they're his, though...the camera sure as hell isn't, and he seems to refer to the glasses when he says "I'm getting dizzy with these bad boys on."

I'm certainly not an elite athlete, but I do have really crappy vision that was corrected to 20/15 (reading 1 more line than I "should") in both eyes with contacts. (In my late 30s, it's now 20/20.) I would imagine that corrected vision that's 20/30 or better is probably adequate for skaters - assessing the rotation/orientation and height of a black puck on white ice seems to me more a matter of contrast than one of visual acuity. Also, it doesn't matter whether the black blob's edges are fuzzy; it's how quickly you can find the black blob. Scanning might be more important.

And speaking from my own experience, contacts are pretty comfy and do the trick. If they fall out, a new disposable ones can be popped right in seconds.

Now, goalies are another matter; I remember vaguely hearing something about "visual training" that some of them go through.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad