NHL players with bad vision

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I'm guessing they are getting laser eye surgery, if I can afford it they sure can, and its been amazing.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
if the nhl literally wouldnt let someone play because of a disability (if they were good enogh) they would get absolutely roasted both publicly, financially, and legally.

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/a-remarkable-hockey-career-ends-for-david-alexandre-beauregard

Beauregard was playing with the QMJHL’s St. Hyacinthe Laser back in 1994 when a stick got up under his visor and perforated his left eye, leaving him blind in that eye.

At the time, it looked like the end of Beauregard’s hockey career. But Beauregard, who was selected by the San Jose Sharks in the 11th round of the 1994 NHL entry draft, went on to enjoy a 20-year career in hockey, playing for more than 25 teams during that span.

Beauregard retired this year at age 37, playing all those years knowing he could never play in the NHL, since the league has a rule forbidding players blind in one eye from competing
. Jon Wertheim of Sports Illustrated was so impressed by Beauregard’s career that he wrote a column on why Beauregard was his Sportsman of the Year for 2013.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
pronger-4_3.jpg

Although I don't know if they were the result of his injuries.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
This isn't what you mean by vision, but if Evander Kane was standing at the boards near the faceoff dot and had a 10 foot wide lane to hit a player for a one-timer into the open net, he'd do a twirl to his backhand and unleash a shot right into the shin pads of a defender, whose shin prevents the puck from sailing 10 feet wide of the net and who proceeds to spring a teammate on a breakaway.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
VX2okVZ.jpg

No, it's not a fight. They're looking for a contact lens back in 1962. Black Hawks vs Leafs.

(Credit to whoever posted this last night - I want to say it was Fenway from the B's board, but I could be wrong.)

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
if the nhl literally wouldnt let someone play because of a disability (if they were good enogh) they would get absolutely roasted both publicly, financially, and legally.

They cant, because it violates basic worker rights laws. They would be denying that person their job because of a disability they have no control over.

I wear glasses during most of my regular day but in hockey/sports I usually dont need them.

During the next season, Berard underwent seven eye operations, improving his vision in the eye to 20/600. He started working out again in April 2001 and started skating again months thereafter. Berard was later fitted with a contact lens that allowed him to meet the league's minimum vision requirement of 20/400.

The NHL has minimum vision requirements. It's not to discriminate. It's for the person's safety.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
VX2okVZ.jpg

No, it's not a fight. They're looking for a contact lens back in 1962. Black Hawks vs Leafs.

(Credit to whoever posted this last night - I want to say it was Fenway from the B's board, but I could be wrong.)

Now that is sportsmanship, and that is awesome.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I thought the NHL didn't allow anyone blind in one eye to play, I remember seeing this when I was reading up on David-Alexandre Beauregard, but maybe it has changed since then

I thought Pierre Mondou retired because of losing an eye, or at least the vision in one. Wasn't sure if it was a rule, or more of a depth perception problem.

Don Jaroodi*

Surprised nobody mentioned Marc Staal post taking a puck to the eye. He hasn't been the same player since.

C4qwA0T.jpghttp:

Kathryn Tappen

yeah whatever ****
Jun 17, 2013
I've always wondered this. I can name at least a few active players who I have seen wear glasses off the ice, so they must wear contacts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad