News Article: NHL players view Leafs as one of the favourites for the Cup

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Of course we are, lol. I can't remember being so excited for a season, there's a reason for that. Favourites? What is that in a cap world of parity anyways. Contenders yes, and the other players can see it.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
We are the #1 team. That obviously doesn't mean we will win, but we have the most firepower by far. If Freddy is hot and the D work together better with the team this year, we have a date with a chance at Lord Stanley for sure.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Not rocket science..105pts last yr..no Tavares, Matthew's missed 30 odd games. Now if we dont lose Matthews or a key offensive producer for that many one would suppose we easily get 6 to 10 more pts.

Our guys have some post season experience..I think this is the yr they put it all together. That said I don't want to say cup for sure but easily conference finals. It's all dependent on how healthy we can stay.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Not rocket science..105pts last yr..no Tavares, Matthew's missed 30 odd games. Now if we dont lose Matthews or a key offensive producer for that many one would suppose we easily get 6 to 10 more pts.

Our guys have some post season experience..I think this is the yr they put it all together. That said I don't want to say cup for sure but easily conference finals. It's all dependent on how healthy we can stay.

All tending. It's up to Freddy the talent is in front even if the D isn't the best in the league.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
But the media is telling me that some players may not be happy. Matthews does not want to potentially play second fiddle to JT or that Kadri is pissed about his minutes possibly getting reduced because of JT and other fear mongering bull****

Agree with you. Where these rumours start that Matthews and Kadri would rather play with crappy players so they can get more quality minutes is absurd. (I'm paraphrasing) Wait, isn't the reason one reason Tavares left the Isles is so he could play with better players.
Kucherov re upping with Tampa, yea he hates playing with Point, Stamkos and Hedman cause they just too darn good.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Think we are better off then last year but still need to win a round.
what does this mean? Even if you only look last year, 3 of the 4 final teams were new there. Winnipeg had never won a playoff game before. Vegas had never even existed before and they were pegged to finish last, yet they made the finals. Washington had never made it past the second round in over a decade with this core and they won the cup. The Leafs losing out in the first round the last couple of years will do nothing to hold them back from possibly winning it all

Reactions: LeafGrief

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
But the media is telling me that some players may not be happy. Matthews does not want to potentially play second fiddle to JT or that Kadri is pissed about his minutes possibly getting reduced because of JT and other fear mongering bull****
Pay attention to Matthews in interviews, he's got such a small ego for a player with his talent. I'm sure he's super pissed that his team just improved and he has another all star centre on the team to help him carry the load. lol.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
what does this mean? Even if you only look last year, 3 of the 4 final teams were new there. Winnipeg had never won a playoff game before. Vegas had never even existed before and they were pegged to finish last, yet they made the finals. Washington had never made it past the second round in over a decade with this core and they won the cup. The Leafs losing out in the first round the last couple of years will do nothing to hold them back from possibly winning it all

Exactly this.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Of course we're one of the favourites. There are other favourites too, but the Leafs have an extremely good team and the players know that.

The mainboards know it too, which is why we get to read dozens of threads about how we have to trade Nylander or that Matthews isn't happy for some reason.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
They had 105 points last season, added Tavares, and are loaded with young guys that have room to get better. Of course they're considered one of the favourites.

Doesn't mean they're the #1 favourite, but I think most people that don't have a major anti-Leafs bias would have them in the top 3-5 teams pretty easily.

The Cup is very hard to win though. San Jose have been one of the favourites for probably 8 of the past 10 years and haven't won. St. Louis was one of the favourites for a good stretch, it took Washington I think 12-13 years in the Ovechkin era to win, etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad