News Article: NHL Players headed to the Beijing 2022 Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Here is what I don't get it. with a great example.

Ondrej and David Kase are brothers. They were both drafted to the NHL.

Ondrej has done well for himself (injuries aside) and is an NHL player making Millions (over career).
David is a very good player but a tweener... he plays in Prague now in the Extraliga.

So Ondrej can't go but David can????

Someone explain that to Mother Kase.

Ondrej is being paid $1.25M US by his employer to play for them. That is where is commitment needs to be.

Reactions: Yeah15

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
And thus South Korea with star players such as Alex Plante, Dan Baum, and Brock Radunske will have a chance to play for their country in the Olympics once again.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Ondrej is being paid $1.25M US by his employer to play for them. That is where is commitment needs to be.
David has an employer too.

So does Ty Rattie and Ryan Spooner who might make the team now. They all have jobs with employers.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
What is he supposed to say if someone asks "are you disappointed about the NHL's decision to not go to the Olympics?"

How about “Yes but a lot of regular people are far more impacted than we are”.

Acknowledge the disappointment but at the same time pay respect to the fact that people are getting devastated out there.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

Ugh. Getting tired of this narrative Button is spewing.

You can't have an opinion that this round of restrictions is overkill because of the doctors and nurses? Come on. In addition to the doctors and nurses, can we think about the folks that are losing their jobs again, and the business owners that are closed except without financial supports this time?

Those are the people we should think about as well, because those are the people that are going to take the brunt of this over what is likely to be a lot of nothing. The hospitals are going to be filled regardless of whether the NHL modifies their protocols to match essentially every other business and work place in Canada.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
David has an employer too.

So does Ty Rattie and Ryan Spooner who might make the team now. They all have jobs with employers.

And their employer let them go.

Obviously the NHL have decided it is best not to send them, the league clearly has more to lose. With great salaries, comes great responsibilities.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Based solely on what was written, I didn't read his comments that way at all. I think it is natural for him to be disappointed even if he was 100% in agreement with the decision. I am disappointed that there will be no best on best competition, but I think it would have been profoundly stupid for them to go. Did he say anything else that made it sound like he was whining?

Any player saying (to paraphrase) “poor me” is reading the room wrong. I want a best on best as well but I cannot absolve players for being selfish while bringing in massive bi-weekly paychecks when people have had businesses shuttered, lost loved ones and are struggling to get by in these times.

Sure, say your disappointed but acknowledge and recognize the reality of 99.9% of the rest of people out there.

Plus I’ve never been a Stamkos fan….so I’m not totally objective here but Hedman “this hurts” and Hellebuycks comments - they can all jump off a cliff as far as I’m concerned.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

You can't have an opinion that this round of restrictions is overkill because of the doctors and nurses? Come on. In addition to the doctors and nurses, can we think about the folks that are losing their jobs again, and the business owners that are closed except without financial supports this time?

Those are the people we should think about as well, because those are the people that are going to take the brunt of this over what is likely to be a lot of nothing. The hospitals are going to be filled regardless of whether the NHL modifies their protocols to match essentially every other business and work place in Canada.

Sure they can voice that opinion but the Poor me I can’t play in the Olympics crap is maddening for me anyways.

Last edited:

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
And their employer let them go.

Obviously the NHL have decided it is best not to send them, the league clearly has more to lose. With great salaries, comes great responsibilities.
I haven't seen one roster yet. So not sure that is true... Yet

But that goes back to the Rich athletes can't go and the less wealthy can.

Something not right there

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Any player saying (to paraphrase) “poor me” is reading the room wrong. I want a best on best as well but I cannot absolve players for being selfish while bringing in massive bi-weekly paychecks when people have had businesses shuttered, lost loved ones and are struggling to get by in these times.

Sure, say your disappointed but acknowledge and recognize the reality of 99.9% of the rest of people out there.

Plus I’ve never been a Stamkos fan….so I’m not totally objective here but Hedman “this hurts” and Hellebuycks comments - they can all jump off a cliff as far as I’m concerned.

There is certainly a degree of entitlement that may be part of this. I would bet that a lot of hockey players are living a more "normal life" than many of us. That said I do have some sympathy for Stamkos in the sense that he broke his leg just before 2014, the NHL did not go in 2018 and this year he probably would have beaten the odds and made the team. But all in all I doubt they have a lot to complain about compared with the average guy their age.

Last edited:

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I haven't seen one roster yet. So not sure that is true... Yet

But that goes back to the Rich athletes can't go and the less wealthy can.

Something not right there

I don't understand what your point is.

Employer A has determined the Olympics are a risk to their business, thus they have elected not to allow Employees of A to go to the Olympics.
Employer B is less concerned about the disruption of their business, and thus they have elected to allow Employees of B to go to the Olympics.
Employer A and Employer B are not related to each other and not obliged to run their business in the same way. They make decisions independently.

What's your (logical) issue with it, other than the (emotional) let down that we are all feeling as fans?

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

I can understand where you are coming from, but I think you are being a bit unfair.

These guys were not asked: what do you think about the latest lockdowns and Omicron.
They were not asked: how do you feel about the pandemic
They were asked: how do you feel knowing you are not going to the Olympics... is it a disappointment?

It's a leading question, there's only one answer... now you want them to expand that answer to be sensitive to the fans, but that wasn't the question asked really. None of these guys have been hired to be diplomats for the NHL. Sure it comes with the territory, but it doesn't mean they will be naturally good at it. If someone asks you about your personal feelings, they are expecting a personal answer. I understand that may come across as self-centered to you, but... I mean we all evaluate things from our own bias... from where we stand .

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018

Employer A has determined the Olympics are a risk to their business, thus they have elected not to allow Employees of A to go to the Olympics.
Employer B is less concerned about the disruption of their business, and thus they have elected to allow Employees of B to go to the Olympics.
Employer A and Employer B are not related to each other and not obliged to run their business in the same way. They make decisions independently.

What's your (logical) issue with it, other than the (emotional) let down that we are all feeling as fans?
My point was that employer B has yet to do that.

Using a former oiler. Matej blumel plays for a Czech club (with Adam Musil) and the owner has said he wont let them go.

Your post, to me, sounds like the new teams are already made. They aren't. There currently is no employer B.

Further... If employer A is opposed then why shouldn't employer B?

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I can understand where you are coming from, but I think you are being a bit unfair.

These guys were not asked: what do you think about the latest lockdowns and Omicron.
They were not asked: how do you feel about the pandemic
They were asked: how do you feel knowing you are not going to the Olympics... is it a disappointment?

It's a leading question, there's only one answer... now you want them to expand that answer to be sensitive to the fans, but that wasn't the question asked really. None of these guys have been hired to be diplomats for the NHL. Sure it comes with the territory, but it doesn't mean they will be naturally good at it. If someone asks you about your personal feelings, they are expecting a personal answer. I understand that may come across as self-centered to you, but... I mean we all evaluate things from our own bias... from where we stand .

You make a good point. I’m being a bit emotional right now. Bad time of year.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
It's gonna be around literally for as long as it can find hosts, so probably as long as humans are on earth. Barring some miraculous medical advancements of course. Years and very likely decades at the absolute minimum, but if I was a betting man, I would be betting 100+ years at least, but I won't be around to collect on that bet, lol.
It will be around forever, but it will finally mutate into something that isn't more nasty than the common flu or cold. We may be very close to that already.

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007

Using a former oiler. Matej blumel plays for a Czech club (with Adam Musil) and the owner has said he wont let them go.

Your post, to me, sounds like the new teams are already made. They aren't. There currently is no employer B.

Different risk assessments. Is it really that hard to figure out?

Reactions: Tobias Kahun

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

Go ask employer B.

why is this a big issue? Employer A said no.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

Maybe I'm jumping into the conversation late, so that's why I don't understand your point.

But if I'm one of the Kase brothers, I'm answering: "I'm doing what my employer allowed or didn't allow". It doesn't have anything to do with their salary.

As for employer A and employer B, they make their own decisions. They each have their own equations:

Employer A:
  • I am cancelling games currently due to Omicron
  • I am unlikely to be able to make up those games
  • That means lost revenue
  • Olympics compounds the problem from a scheduling perspective - my schedule is already compressed
  • Olympics presents a risk that more disease/quarantine means more games cancelled or played without my brightest stars

Employer B:
  • I still can complete my schedule
  • The Olympics is a chance for me to showcase my leagues' best players - it's good for business

This is obviously somewhat fictional, but why would you expect them to arrive at the same decision?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

meh. Any player that is upset, angry about not going to the China Olympics. I have one opinion on that, which I can't expand on entirely here, but that its tonedeaf as mentioned in several ways. I mean do they have ANY perspective? Any modicum of knowing history? Nah, mostly the jock class, singularly capable, but oblivious to almost anything else.

I think the disappointment, for fans, is commonly seeing what myopic philistines, bereft of principles, the players tend to be, and that they would not recognize real world issues until they were slapped upside the face. The players are only seeing "Olympics" and that is incredibly short sighted.

Last edited:

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
You make a good point. I’m being a bit emotional right now. Bad time of year.

I hear ya... like I said, we're all experiencing this thing from our own perspectives. Natural that emotion is coming first for all of us (even million dollar hockey players). It is a very tough way to end the year - I've personally had enough of it.

Cheers to 20 f'in 22.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Reactions aren't logical, or are not formulated/predicated that way and tis the season of reactions.

That said I'm ecstatic the NHL and its players won't go. The right decision, for the wrong reason.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Maybe I'm jumping into the conversation late, so that's why I don't understand your point.

But if I'm one of the Kase brothers, I'm answering: "I'm doing what my employer allowed or didn't allow". It doesn't have anything to do with their salary.

As for employer A and employer B, they make their own decisions. They each have their own equations:

Employer A:
  • I am cancelling games currently due to Omicron
  • I am unlikely to be able to make up those games
  • That means lost revenue
  • Olympics compounds the problem from a scheduling perspective - my schedule is already compressed
  • Olympics presents a risk that more disease/quarantine means more games cancelled or played without my brightest stars

Employer B:
  • I still can complete my schedule
  • The Olympics is a chance for me to showcase my leagues' best players - it's good for business

This is obviously somewhat fictional, but why would you expect them to arrive at the same decision?

The Employer B part is totally fictional. We don't know if they can complete their schedule. I'm really not sure this will increase the business in the Extraliga, KHL or SEL?

Eg. Spengler Cup just got changed dramatically and one of the Swiss teams couldn't go (Ambri). 10 day quarantine... they gotta make that up too (the Ambri games). Several Finnish clubs were shutdown as well... I only know this because a really good Finn (Raty) can't go to the Juniors.

Your first reason for Employer A was omnicron which is a health risk - why would the player on Employer B be okay with that risk if the employee on Employer A isn't?

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
At least a couple Oiler legends will have a chance to play for the gold.
If the Euro's go.. there will be a bunch of Oiler legends potentially

Hartikainen, Omark, Lander, Blumel

Oiler's have been drafting top notch Euro League players for years!

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
The Employer B part is totally fictional. We don't know if they can complete their schedule. I'm really not sure this will increase the business in the Extraliga, KHL or SEL?

Eg. Spengler Cup just got changed dramatically and one of the Swiss teams couldn't go (Ambri). 10 day quarantine... they gotta make that up too (the Ambri games). Several Finnish clubs were shutdown as well... I only know this because a really good Finn (Raty) can't go to the Juniors.

Your first reason for Employer A was omnicron which is a health risk - why would the player on Employer B be okay with that risk if the employee on Employer A isn't?

Do you think Employer A and Employer B and Employer C should have called a joint board meeting to make the decision together?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad