News Article: NHL Players headed to the Beijing 2022 Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Pfizer boss claims covid will be around until at least 2024. Lol.

It's gonna be around literally for as long as it can find hosts, so probably as long as humans are on earth. Barring some miraculous medical advancements of course. Years and very likely decades at the absolute minimum, but if I was a betting man, I would be betting 100+ years at least, but I won't be around to collect on that bet, lol.

Reactions: McDrai

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy

Interesting though, will the games get postponed until 2023 like the summer games did?

I'd prefer that tbh, from a purely egoistical point of view. I want them to play the best on best in the Olympics.

I do doubt very much they will take this route though, it seems very late to announce postponement. Maybe they can just postpone the hockey... :laugh:

midnightcopper

Apr 28, 2021
I'd prefer that tbh, from a purely egoistical point of view. I want them to play the best on best in the Olympics.

I do doubt very much they will take this route though, it seems very late to announce postponement. Maybe they can just postpone the hockey... :laugh:
I agree with you...it's a little late now to cancel the entire Olympics. It would really surprise me if they did this. Not sure how they deal with this new spread, because I believe they were just going to allow Chinese citizens as spectators. Maybe this changes that thinking, too.

I think both Japan and China should have postponed longer to maybe have some chance at normalcy with fans in attendance and a celebration of breaking free from all this. There are many circumstances to consider; however, including athletes that have trained for so long, other international competitions later and of course, huge media contracts (NBC).

Last edited:
Reactions: oilers'72

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I really wish they would postpone the Olympics until 2023.

I hate the regime in Beijing but the athletes have waited for this all their lives-such disappointment for people who have worked so hard.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I can get it. Hockey is not just a game to these guys, but their entire identity, career, and lifestyle. This was huge for them.

They get paid tens of millions of dollars in this career. I’m sure they somehow will find a way to get over it.

Meanwhile we aren’t allowed to see family, friends and a lot of people have had their careers and livelihoods ruined.

Sorry but maybe Stamkos can read the room a little bit.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
They get paid tens of millions of dollars in this career. I’m sure they somehow will find a way to get over it.

Meanwhile we aren’t allowed to see family, friends and a lot of people have had their careers and livelihoods ruined.

Sorry but maybe Stamkos can read the room a little bit.

People can have all kinds of different struggles through this. These players are human beings with hopes and dreams as well.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

Stamkos and the others whining they can’t play can f*** right off. We’re about to be totally locked down for the millionth time and poor Steven can’t play in an Olympic Games. f*** off and take your two asterisked cap cirumvented Covid cups with you, you prick.

I understand why he’s upset.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I understand why he’s upset.

I do as well but with peoples businesses going under and people really struggling maybe Stamkos, who will make in excess of $100,000,000 and whose always came across as an entitled little prick to me, shouldn’t go running to the media to whine about his lack of Olympic participation.

Last edited:

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Postpone the Olympics to 2023, hold them in South Korea or Japan, and NHL players can go.

Everybody (mostly) wins.

Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Here is what I don't get it. with a great example.

Ondrej and David Kase are brothers. They were both drafted to the NHL.

Ondrej has done well for himself (injuries aside) and is an NHL player making Millions (over career).
David is a very good player but a tweener... he plays in Prague now in the Extraliga.

So Ondrej can't go but David can????

Someone explain that to Mother Kase.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy

I don't know, I am not sure I think it was such a bad comment. I mean it was not about the Olympics really so maybe this is the wrong thread, but about closing down for a week. NFL have already done this differently and there are many leagues (and countries in general) that almost never do regular test of people with no symptoms.

For the Olympics he just said that "it would have been an awesome opportunity to play, but I guess that's just what we have to deal with", I don't see anything wrong with that part of his comments. Unless I missed something of course.

edit: Helleybuck's comments are in line with some others are saying as well, Hedman for one. Regards to Olympics: “It’s a thing you’ve been looking forward to for a very long time,” Hedman said. “For us to not be able to go, it’s going to hurt for a while.”. I cannot find the rest now, but he also did comment on that the NFL are doing things differently in terms of games/testing.

Last edited:

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

Stamkos and the others whining they can’t play can f*** right off. We’re about to be totally locked down for the millionth time and poor Steven can’t play in an Olympic Games. f*** off and take your two asterisked cap cirumvented Covid cups with you, you prick.

Based solely on what was written, I didn't read his comments that way at all. I think it is natural for him to be disappointed even if he was 100% in agreement with the decision. I am disappointed that there will be no best on best competition, but I think it would have been profoundly stupid for them to go. Did he say anything else that made it sound like he was whining?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad