NHL players handedness

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I'm righthanded and always shot righthanded and the other way never felt natural. If I need to have one hand on the stick it was the left. Which I guess makes sense?

But then again I've always swung a baseball bat left-handed....but I play golf right-handed...hmm

major major

Feb 18, 2013
The idea is to have your most dexterous hand on top where you can get fancy with it, and use the lower hand as a fulcrum. If you go one-handed for some reason you definitely need your best hand on top.

Americans just play right-shot more because they tend to learn golf and baseball first. But if it was hockey first for everyone you would expect to see shotedness roughly correspond with handedness (in an inverse relationship).

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
American,
Ambidextrous, I own both left and right sticks and use them depending on how i feel on a particular day, i also have a straight blade which is my preferred stick because of the freedom of handedness in game, but the curved blade has so many benefits over the straight stick that i've got away from using It.
Truthfully i don't even know if they make straight sticks anymore. Once the few i have break I may be SOL

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
I only play hockey for fun, I'm right handed and shoot right. Using a left stick feels so weird.

Anyways, I think the idea that those who use their dominant hand on top are better stick handlers while those on the bottom are better shooters is not true actually, it just depends what feels natural to you.

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
I'm right handed and shoot right handed. My dad taught me how to play so he just gave me a right handed stick and told me how to use it.

ARoggy94

Dec 9, 2013
Ottawa
The idea is to have your most dexterous hand on top where you can get fancy with it, and use the lower hand as a fulcrum. If you go one-handed for some reason you definitely need your best hand on top.

Americans just play right-shot more because they tend to learn golf and baseball first. But if it was hockey first for everyone you would expect to see shotedness roughly correspond with handedness (in an inverse relationship).

Well put. If you're a left handed shot, your left hand simply stick handles back and forth while your right hand (in our example the dominant hand) is responsible for almost all of the mobility of the stick. Of course this is anecdotal but from my 20 years of playing hockey I really believe the narrative that a righted handed person that shoots left is a more dominant puck carrier while if he shot right his shot would be more powerful.

To test this, a semi skilled hockey player can stick handle with just his right hand on the knob of the stick while it would be difficult to stick handle with your left hand half way down to the stick if that makes sense :p

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh
Right, right for me.

Growing up, we were always told that right handers shoot right, left shoot left. Once I did it for awhile, it was too difficult to go back, even after I figured out it didn't have to be that way.

Still not sure if it matters much. I feel like it helps more having the dominate hand lower for shooting (wrist shots in particular) but helps more having the dominate hand higher for poke checks and one handed anything really. If it matters at all, probably not much over all compared to practice and talent.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Players that are right hand dominant and shoot right handed are said to have more power on their shots for example Ovechkin, Stamkos and Laine have some of the best one timers in the game and are all right handed (not sure if theyre right hand dominant though). Where players that are right dominant but shoot left have better puck control and defensive abilities. It would be interesting to determine the dominant hand of certain NHLers.

Why does my shot suck though then? :cry::cry::cry:

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
I'm glad this has been highlighted as I couldn't work out why left-handed stick holding was so common, as i'm left-handed writing, but would be right-handed in hockey. Yet would pitch left handed in baseball, but bat right handed.

But then maybe i'm a little odd as I throw tennis balls with my left, but would throw a soccer ball from my right arm.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
I'm right-handed but I can hit from both right-handed and left-handed in baseball as well as use left or right handed hockey sticks, mainly depended what wing I played at the time, because, yay one-timers.

Mad Brills*

Yeah, I also catch with my right in hockey/baseball despite being left handed

Quarter

The caravan moves on
Mar 3, 2011
Ontario
Canadian, right-handed, throw right, bat right, kick right, shoot left.

I have no idea which way my dad shot when he played... then again, he was a goalie in the 1970s so its relevance isn't exactly important.

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
Dominant right and do everything right-handed -- hockey, tennis, baseball, football, golf, etc.

Absolutely useless with my left hand.

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
If you shoot left you have your stick in your right hand 100% of the time

Sorry maybe I wrote it wrong, I'm still learning about hockey. I meant if I was to place the stick to my right, i.e my left hand at the top. That to me just doesn't feel right.

To add another sport to the mix, does anyone here play Tennis? Again I am right handed (English) whilst I play right handed (one-handed Backhand) yet can actually hit a decent forehand with my left. If I was to play baseball or golf I would hit right.

Morlu

Nov 4, 2011
I'm right handed. Shoot left, golf right, bat right. Shooting right just felt so odd too me.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I'm right handed, I've played sports with a stick and I've no idea how anyone could play them with the stick on the opposite side.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
right handed

shoot lefty in hockey, golf righty, and bat righty in baseball

having your dominant hand on top gives you more control of your stick, which is why most danglers are lefty. kane, datsyuk, crosby, mcdavid, gaudreau, tavares, thornton, etc

while having your dominant hand on the bottom gives you a more powerful shot, which is why most snipers are righty. ovie, laine, stamkos, carter, seguin, kovalchuk

HoBOonFiRE

Nov 8, 2009
Oshawa
right handed

shoot lefty in hockey, golf righty, and bat righty in baseball

having your dominant hand on top gives you more control of your stick, which is why most danglers are lefty. kane, datsyuk, crosby, mcdavid, gaudreau, tavares, thornton, etc

while having your dominant hand on the bottom gives you a more powerful shot, which is why most snipers are righty. ovie, laine, stamkos, carter, seguin, kovalchuk
Yeah I do think that is the case, assuming they are all right hand dominant.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
What does weird me out is how people shoot different in golf than in hockey. I'm Canadian and shoot left as do most people I know but I am one of a small minority who also shoot left in golf.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
What does weird me out is how people shoot different in golf than in hockey. I'm Canadian and shoot left as do most people I know but I am one of a small minority who also shoot left in golf.

I think it's because of how far apart your hands are. Holding a golf club feels different to me than a hockey stick.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00