WC: NHL players confirmed to play at 2013 WC

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.
And here is why David Naylor of TSN called the World Hockey Championships "the most random sporting event in the world".

Sweden: 10/11, 14/16 of their top NHL scorers in the playoffs
USA: 7/8, 11/13 in the playoffs
Finland: 5/6 in the playoffs
Czechs: 1/5, 3/10 in the playoffs
Canada: 1/4, 2/6 in the playoffs

Hybbe

Oct 6, 2009
Loui Eriksson confirmed to play for Sweden, nice addition to the team.

markz*

And here is why David Naylor of TSN called the World Hockey Championships "the most random sporting event in the world".

Just because a Player is good on NHL small sized Ice, doesn't mean he is Elite on Olympic Sized Big Ice - Different Game.

Maybe TSN is mad because Canada has NOT won a "Big Ice" Tournament in 6-7 years almost (2007 WC - 7th in 2006 Olympics)? Maybe NHL players aren't as elite as we thought :sarcasm:

Last edited by a moderator:

Pominville Knows

Sep 28, 2012
Down Under
Just because a Player is good on NHL small sized Ice, doesn't mean he is Elite on Olympic Sized Big Ice - Different Game.

Maybe TSN is mad because Canada has NOT won a "Big Ice" Tournament in 6-7 years almost (2007 WC - 7th in 2006 Olympics)? Maybe NHL players aren't as elite as we thought :sarcasm:

It is true that canadas semi-elite professional players on big ice are not overwhelmingly good against european based elite players, but this is no news. Just look at the soviets vs. the half good nhl team competing for Canada. But make no mistake, NHL stars are nhl stars and we need only look to the intercontinental games before the recent nhl premieres to see that nhl teams are very much better than european ones even on big ice. They CAN lose, but not in a say best of seven environment.

Last edited:

Hammer Time

May 3, 2011

Well, Canada has a golden opportunity then with Finland and Sweden sending under-strength teams.

Hammer Time

May 3, 2011
Just heard the news that Bryz will be #1 goalie for team Russia. #2 will be Bob or Varly. That's something I don't understand. How Bryz can be #1 with all that effort he made this season.

Bobrovsky was better than Bryzgalov in the NHL and the KHL. If that's true then Russia needs better coaching :help:

The Noot

scaldin ur d00dz
Apr 12, 2012
Zurich
Are we gonna have tough time beating denmark swiss ect? I hope guys prove that when it matters they are still better than tem by landmile, and that they are elipe european leaguers...

Im OK with anything but dropping to B-pool world championships. With perfect succes they could play in the medal rounds I think.

Our team consists of a group of NLA players (Note that many of the best offensive players turned down the invitation / are injured) +Josi + Niederreiter
The general consensus in the media (and on the Western Europe Board) is, that this is a "B-Team" at best and that it's definitely one oft the weaker team that Switzerland has sent to the WCs in recent years.
I pretty much expect that you guys beat us.

Long story short:
i_know_that_feel_bro_by_rober_raik-d4cxn5a.png

Evergreen

wow...that's tough. Welcome to Canada's world and our dilemma of getting players to commit to this...

Are you kidding? Look at the list of Canadian players who have already agreed to play. Giroux, Stamkos, Staal, etc. Nash, Staal, and others have been virtual locks for the team every year. It's nothing as bad as Finland is dealing with this year.

On a side note, what does "retires from nt" mean? I can't figure out what nt stands for.

Farnham4top6

Despres #1D
Mar 6, 2011
north of you
Are you kidding? Look at the list of Canadian players who have already agreed to play. Giroux, Stamkos, Staal, etc. Nash, Staal, and others have been virtual locks for the team every year. It's nothing as bad as Finland is dealing with this year.

On a side note, what does "retires from nt" mean? I can't figure out what nt stands for.
nt= national team I think
Sweden have bigger problems with getting nhlers to play for the national team then little brother finland.

Evergreen

nt= national team I think
Sweden have bigger problems with getting nhlers to play for the national team then little brother finland.

Thanks. That's what I assumed, but why would certain players "retire" from the national team? Do they have problems with management or something? I mean Jokinen is 34. That's not very old.

Hedning

A New Beginning
Apr 26, 2012
Thanks. That's what I assumed, but why would certain players "retire" from the national team? Do they have problems with management or something? I mean Jokinen is 34. That's not very old.

Probably because they don't have any "hunger" left to dress up for the national team any more. They have had their time and share of games/tournaments and now it's time for some new blood.
And family matter more when you get older.

(If I should take a guess)

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Between 1998 and 2010, Olli Jokinen played in eight WHCs, three olympic tournaments and one World Cup. He was practically always there when able.

He announced his retirement from national team duties after Vancouver, and hasn't looked back. He simply felt that he has already seen everything playing in international tournaments can give to him.

Some are holding some hope though that he might return for Sochi, mostly because when compared to our current coach Jalonen, he is far more buddy-buddy with Erkka Westerlund, our head coach for next season.

Evergreen

Between 1998 and 2010, Olli Jokinen played in eight WHCs, three olympic tournaments and one World Cup. He was practically always there when able.

He announced his retirement from national team duties after Vancouver, and hasn't looked back. He simply felt that he has already seen everything playing in international tournaments can give to him.

Some are holding some hope though that he might return for Sochi, mostly because when compared to our current coach Jalonen, he is far more buddy-buddy with Erkka Westerlund, our head coach for next season.

Thanks for the response!

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010

Some say Jokinen retired from NT only because he hates our coach since olympics. If that's big factor in the case, there is a solid chance he is available for national team next year when the coach changes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad