NHL Player Safety hearing for Raffi - gets 41 games/won't appeal

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
The more I think about it, that very well could happen. It would save the league from having to go to a neutral arbitrator in court after Bettman inevitably holds it up. It lets the league set a precident for head shots and gives Torres one last chance to play. Would explain why Wingels knows nothing of an appeal and why both sidrs have been so quiet since.

But why would Torres go along with it? Unless he's trying to repay DW for sticking up for him last time. But since Torres has to lose money to do that (potentially a large amount) and it's probably his last chance to collect an NHL salary, would he be willing to sacrifice his family's financial future?

Nitpick: The appeal to the neutral arbitrator is not a court arbitrator. It's someone selected by the NHL and NHLPA. Either party could appeal that verdict to a court.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Because he probably never plays again if the games only count if he's on an active roster, reduced or not. If he can come back and play clean and productively he'll likely earn a short term deal somewhere.

WineShark

Nov 19, 2006
Napa Valley, CA
But why would Torres go along with it? Unless he's trying to repay DW for sticking up for him last time. But since Torres has to lose money to do that (potentially a large amount) and it's probably his last chance to collect an NHL salary, would he be willing to sacrifice his family's financial future?

Nitpick: The appeal to the neutral arbitrator is not a court arbitrator. It's someone selected by the NHL and NHLPA. Either party could appeal that verdict to a court.

Agree that arbitration is first requirement.

Torres would go along only so he can get a reduced sentence and assurances he can still play this year. Reduced sentence is more money in his pocket and Federal Court is no guarantee. The League could drag it out and with his age effectively end his career that way.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Personally, I think that the Sharks should be charged with Torres's cap hit and roster space. Heck, they should even be forced to pay his salary to the NHL. That is their end of the punishment for icing a player like Torres.

To circumvent that would be to say that the team bears zero responsibility.

Another thought on Torres...if he comes back and plays an uber-safe game, fearful of suspension, he's a much less useful player.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Elliotte Friedman @FriedgeHNIC
Couple of quick notes: hearing Raffi Torres will not appeal his 41-game suspension, smartly accepting his penalty...

I didn't think he had a leg to stand on if he appealed so I agree, this is the smart thing for him to do.

And more confirmation:
Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie
Raffi Torres is not appealing his suspension.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Couple of quick notes: hearing Raffi Torres will not appeal his 41-game suspension, smartly accepting his penalty...

I didn't think he had a leg to stand on if he appealed so I agree, this is the smart thing for him to do.

I think Torres understands his history and his problems and he knows he ****ed up. IMO the body language I've seen from him since he's been with the Sharks has been calmer than it was before. He seemed pretty upset with himself when he Silfverberg like he was skating straight towards the penalty box right away.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ

And more confirmation:

tumblr_m6nv3c03O41r76mfto1_400.gif

WineShark

Nov 19, 2006
Napa Valley, CA

And more confirmation:

So ends the juicy speculation.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
Because he probably never plays again if the games only count if he's on an active roster, reduced or not. If he can come back and play clean and productively he'll likely earn a short term deal somewhere.

I guess we disagree about that. I wasn't sure he'd ever play after this season even before the suspension. He's 33 and his knees seem shot. Plus there will always be a substantial suspension risk with Raffi, especially now. They hit less in other leagues than the NHL; that is one big reason that there is a concussion lawsuit by ex-NHLers. If he's too dangerous here, why would they want him overseas? Or if they don't care, why wouldn't they hire him anyway? Whether or not he serves his NHL suspension changes nothing WRT their risk. If they wanted him, I'm sure they could work something out with the NHL, who probably just wants him to leave.

I think since he's not appealing the suspension, he's being irresponsible to his family. He's putting his own desire to play above their well-being. This is a guess bc there could be things that we don't know. At least we know that he's not going to appeal.

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
raffi1.jpg

And more confirmation:

raffi-torres.jpg

Ninja Hertl

formerly sharkohol
Feb 25, 2006
The Yay
Interesting that people have stronger opinions about someone who occasionally plays hockey over the edge than about someone like Kane, Voynov... et al. I've seen way more visceral reactions about Torres... like he did something morally wrong. :laugh:

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Interesting that people have stronger opinions about someone who occasionally plays hockey over the edge than about someone like Kane, Voynov... et al. I've seen way more visceral reactions about Torres... like he did something morally wrong. :laugh:

You know doing something legal like hitting your opponent is so much worse then beating up your girlfriend/wife and or potentially raping a girl.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
So why won't Torres appeal? He might get more games?

I think he knows he screwed up and he's just taking it. Probably a changed man off the ice but can't control himself on the ice. He looked really frustrated with himself after the hit since he threw up his hands and was walking straight to the penalty box..

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
I think that no matter what he thinks, this is the best thing he can do if he wants to resume his career. If he does anything he will be criticized and the NHL will probably be looking to tag him again. This way he serves his honest time and demonstrates to the highest degree he can that he is atoning for his sin.

LeeIFBB

Crossing the Rubicon
Sep 30, 2011
Tanning Bed
So his suspension is ticking down even though he is a non-roster player?

If it isn't, how does he not appeal? Even if it is a long shot/no shot with Bettman, you've been given an unprecedented suspension. Shouldn't you take it to the neutral arbitrator?

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
I think he's doing this for DW. DW stuck up for him before and I think any challenge would blow back on the org as well. Not to mention that I think they let him come off the roster because he's just letting it go. He also knows he's not going to win much even if he gets some games reduced.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Statement from Raffi:

“I accept the 41-game suspension handed down to me by the NHL’s Department of Player Safety. I worked extremely hard over the last two years following reconstructive knee surgery to resume my NHL career, and this is the last thing I wanted to happen. I am disappointed I have put myself in a position to be suspended again. I sincerely apologize to Jakob for the hit that led to this suspension, and I’m extremely thankful that he wasn’t seriously injured as a result of the play. I also want to apologize to my Sharks teammates and the organization.”

http://sharks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=782360&navid=TW

LeeIFBB

Crossing the Rubicon
Sep 30, 2011
Tanning Bed
"Lastly, thank you to the NHL DPS for their fairness, objectivity, and consistency in the application and enforcement of supplementary discipline in the league. You da real MVP."

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

It's because they care a lot more about the players than women, lol. Not saying that's a good way to think, but I definitely hate Dustin Brown more than I hate Patrick Kane.

Plus, Torres definitely did do something morally wrong. He hit Silf in the head. I'm not mad at all about this, but I am furious that Brown and Lucic got nothing.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Btw, according to kurz last night his games still count down even if he's not on the roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad