NHL Player Safety hearing for Raffi - gets 41 games/won't appeal

Linkster

Beard goggles!
Nov 11, 2010
Coastal Sharkifornia
Law of New Math says... 25 games.

Since the number 23 belongs to Michael Jordan, 25 now belongs to Raffi: "nineteen, twenty, twenty-one, twenty-two, Jordan, twenty-four, Torres, twenty-six, twenty-seven..."

Coily

Gettin' Jiggy with it
Oct 8, 2008
Redlands
http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2015/10/04...aring-potentially-setting-up-long-suspension/

NBC thinks that Torres' hit is being looked at as violation of three rules: interference, charging, and illegally hitting (same as his last suspension)

Illegal hitting -- blindside, east-west hit? Yep. Hard to challenge that one.

What about the targeting the head part?

Was not charging, targeting. If that's targeting then every hit when the head moves is "targeting".

Only thing is he hit him from the side east-west.

Doesn't matter though, people see the end result and go insane.

Mach12

Feb 1, 2010
He's gonna get a suspension. Don't know if it's deserved or not - didn't look closely enough - but he's gonna get suspended.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Charging I can understand cuz Torres was going real quick there. Headshot makes sense too since that's what the video is showing. But interference? Really? Silfverburg flubbed a pass less than half a second before he got hit.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Charging I can understand cuz Torres was going real quick there. Headshot makes sense too since that's what the video is showing. But interference? Really? Silfverburg flubbed a pass less than half a second before he got hit.

That's how the rules describe the blindside hit.

richo

Mar 14, 2011
Bay Area
Didn't see the game but saw the video. I wouldn't have thought anything of it if there wasn't another hearing. Maybe a penalty, but come on. This league has just about lost me. When I was a kid playing in New England in the 70s and 80s we were taught to keep our head up to avoid getting hit hard. Conversely, we were also taught that if we saw someone with their head down to line him up and take him out. Head injuries were rare because everyone kept their head up. Now guys have their heads down all the time and there are more injuries. Wonder why? Let guys play, adjustments in play will be made and head injuries will go back down. This current suspension craze just makes the situation worse and worse.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Nhl has to make an example early on before the inevitably regress on suspensions around January. Torres is an easy target.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Didn't see the game but saw the video. I wouldn't have thought anything of it if there wasn't another hearing. Maybe a penalty, but come on. This league has just about lost me. When I was a kid playing in New England in the 70s and 80s we were taught to keep our head up to avoid getting hit hard. Conversely, we were also taught that if we saw someone with their head down to line him up and take him out. Head injuries were rare because everyone kept their head up. Now guys have their heads down all the time and there are more injuries. Wonder why? Let guys play, adjustments in play will be made and head injuries will go back down. This current suspension craze just makes the situation worse and worse.

I'm not going to comment on the hit, however... I think you're mistaking ignorance with occurrence. There is a big difference between being unaware of head injuries, and them actually taking place. To put it simply, we're seeing more concussion type head injuries now because we are better informed, and we know what to look for. In the past, we didn't. Players, of all sports, would routinely play through symptoms that we now know are symptoms of concussions. More than that, we're more aware of how dangerous concussions can be.

Protecting players from potentially life threatening injuries, and certainly life changing ones, is not a craze. It's a necessity.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Funny thing if Torres ends up being suspended for more games than he ever plays for the Sharks.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
http://blogs.mercurynews.com/sharks/2015/10/04/raffi-torres-suspension-history/

Pashelka summarizes Torres' suspension history

If he does get the 15-20, I can see the player/union and/or DW pushing for an appeal. (Which will go to Bettman for review.)

He's not a "repeat offender" (multiple transgressions in 18 month period) primarily because he's been out injured. But the league will take into account his history of suspensions. Will that mean they increase by 1-2 games what "John Smith" might get for the history, or will they "throw the book" at him because of his reputation?

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
I honestly don't care about Torres, and consider him less a Shark than even Brown.

And with all due respect to Sharks' fans, that hit was horrible and I don't care what happens to him. I'd actually rather the sideshow end and not talk about **** like that anymore.

LeeIFBB

Crossing the Rubicon
Sep 30, 2011
Tanning Bed
Don't forget to adjust for the suspension adder for small market teams and Doug's comments regarding Raffi's suspension on the Stoll hit.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
http://blogs.mercurynews.com/sharks/2015/10/04/raffi-torres-suspension-history/

Pashelka summarizes Torres' suspension history

If he does get the 15-20, I can see the player/union and/or DW pushing for an appeal. (Which will go to Bettman for review.)

He's not a "repeat offender" (multiple transgressions in 18 month period) primarily because he's been out injured. But the league will take into account his history of suspensions. Will that mean they increase by 1-2 games what "John Smith" might get for the history, or will they "throw the book" at him because of his reputation?

I think the "repeat offender" label is intended more for how they calculate lost wages than how long the player might be suspended.

If this was Torres' 2nd suspension in the last 3/4/5 years then ya,his past is unlikely to be taken into account but this will be his 5th (!!) in 5 years...and he missed almost 2 years of on ice play.

I hope they throw the book at him as it's clear suspending him does no good & once he's back out on the ice he'll continue to be a reckless, dirty player and the NHLPA and/or Sharks org wouldn't have a leg to stand on if they appeal whatever he gets.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
I think the "repeat offender" label is intended more for how they calculate lost wages than how long the player might be suspended.

If this was Torres' 2nd suspension in the last 3/4/5 years then ya,his past is unlikely to be taken into account but this will be his 5th (!!) in 5 years...and he missed almost 2 years of on ice play.

I hope they throw the book at him as it's clear suspending him does no good & once he's back out on the ice he'll continue to be a reckless, dirty player and the NHLPA and/or Sharks org wouldn't have a leg to stand on if they appeal whatever he gets.

Yup. He's a *******, always has been, always will be. When we signed him I said it was stupid primarily because of the liability he is. Not only has he barely played as a Sharks because of his injuries, but when he has played he's only done so just long enough to get a suspension. He hasn't done one iota of good for this team, and has barely played in the playoffs at all. I'd kill to have that cap back so we could use it on a good right side defender or something.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad