Olympics: NHL participation in the 2022 Olympics

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
canada and usa have enough talent in ncca, juniors, ahl and european leagues to be a threat in world championship, they dont even need nhlers

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
It is a pointless tournament without relevance and sporting significance. Just because it has been there for years don't make it any good. People just seem to accept it that way. Baffling.

Most of the best tennis players has been playing the Olympics during this century so that is a dull comparison. The latest golf tournament in the Olympics was more of that. And do people say that Team Europe in Ryder Cup is a gimmick? Never heard that complaint.

Canada has never had all their best players at the World Championships. Sweden and Finland had it until the 70's while the Czechs and Soviet had all their best until the 80's, with some exceptions. But you don't seem to understand the comparison with the Euros.
I do think Team Europe in the Ryder cup is a gimmick, absolutely. It's a great gimmick but still a gimmick. Can you picture them doing Olympic Golf like the Ryder Cup?

The world cup was a bad gimmick.

The tennis analogy is briliant... eg. one of Canada's best is Denis Shapovolov.. he's not going. So I guess the tournament is not good because Canada didn't send their best?

You come on with really strong statements... and come across as more insulting then wanting to talk hockey.

'you don't seem to understand'
'dull comparison'
'pointless tournament'.

The words are strong.. just not sure the arguments are.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I mean your best players play in the NHL as well lol
It's funny becasue I've always mentioned this when it's explained the Euro's have an edge on bigger ice. All the best ones have been in North America since they were 18 to 20 and have been on NHL rinks their entire professional careers. I'm sure there is a small advantage because they grew up on those surfaces but playing in the NHL for a decade you'd think going back to the big ice would be as challenging for them.

The other argument is that Canada/US doesn't send their best players.. no one does. Czechs, as an example, have 30 NHLers and 6 went. Rarely do we hit 10 NHLers.

To me the big issue is still that hockey men are dumb and can't figure out a best on best format and stick to it and have everyone profit. Eg. Euro's are going on now without a hitch. Have been forever. All the best are there... not much controversy.

Jahara

Sep 25, 2018
I do think Team Europe in the Ryder cup is a gimmick, absolutely. It's a great gimmick but still a gimmick. Can you picture them doing Olympic Golf like the Ryder Cup?

The world cup was a bad gimmick.

The tennis analogy is briliant... eg. one of Canada's best is Denis Shapovolov.. he's not going. So I guess the tournament is not good because Canada didn't send their best?

You come on with really strong statements... and come across as more insulting then wanting to talk hockey.

'you don't seem to understand'
'dull comparison'
'pointless tournament'.

The words are strong.. just not sure the arguments are.
No, I would never want a Team Europe in the Olympics of any kind. But it is suitable in some cases like Ryder Cup and a better option in the World Cup than a dull German side. Did you miss them?

I do not know how many of the best players that will participate during this Olympics but I meant the ones before. If Nadal and Djokovic would not be there and some other top players, it would be nonsense. Just like the World Juniors where the top players are not around.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
No, I would never want a Team Europe in the Olympics of any kind. But it is suitable in some cases like Ryder Cup and a better option in the World Cup than a dull German side. Did you miss them?

I do not know how many of the best players that will participate during this Olympics but I meant the ones before. If Nadal and Djokovic would not be there and some other top players, it would be nonsense. Just like the World Juniors where the top players are not around.
I don't find the Germans dull at all. At that time it would've been the Swiss and Slovakia... i dont find them dull either in 2016. The current best on best Swiss today looks amazing to me.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010

The Ryder Cup is its own thing, it's not billed as the "world cup of Golf" and supposed to be a real international tournament. It's just USA vs. Europe in an exciting golf format. If they want to do "North America vs. Europe" at the All Star Game or whatever that is fine, but don't call it the "world cup" if you have gimmick teams there

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
The Ryder Cup is its own thing, it's not billed as the "world cup of Golf" and supposed to be a real international tournament. It's just USA vs. Europe in an exciting golf format. If they want to do "North America vs. Europe" at the All Star Game or whatever that is fine, but don't call it the "world cup" if you have gimmick teams there
I think when the Ryder Cup is a comparable to a best on best hockey tournament... you know it's a bad idea.lol

Reactions: WarriorofTime

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
How would some of the above posters have felt if instead of Team Young Guns and Team Europe for the 2016 World Cup of Hockey, they had decided to split Canada up into 'East' 'Central' and 'West' teams like that Under-17 tournament run by Hockey Canada does? I'm guessing they would not be too happy about it.

Jahara

Sep 25, 2018
Ryder Cup is a very prestigious sports tournament in one of the biggest sports. It is a real international tournament just like World Cup. Team Europe was a test and it was way better than having Germany there. Hopefully they return to the 6-team format in the future.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
"Bettman casts doubt on NHL players going to Beijing Olympics".

Gary Bettman NHL players Beijing Olympcs 2022 - TSN.ca

I might boycott the NHL next season if they refuse to go.

Nobody wants to watch the stupid All-Star Game and nobody wants a stupid gimmick tournament like the 2016 World Cup was.

I think I speak for a lot of people when I say that the 1998, 2002, 2006, 2010, and 2014 Olympics were all the #1 highlight on their hockey calendar for each of those respective years.

We might go an entire hockey generation without a true best-of-best tournament? Without seeing Crosby and McDavid ever play on the same team?

Can you imagine if we never got to see Gretzky and Lemieux together in 1987, and all we were left with were fantasies and imaginations?

No league treats its fans worse than the NHL.

Fans want to see NHL players at the Olympics. Fans have been thirsty for a best-on-best tournament for over 7 years (since the 2014 Olympics).

The NHL looks like they might slap their fans in the face once again.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
"Bettman casts doubt on NHL players going to Beijing Olympics".

Gary Bettman NHL players Beijing Olympcs 2022 - TSN.ca

I might boycott the NHL next season if they refuse to go.

Nobody wants to watch the stupid All-Star Game and nobody wants a stupid gimmick tournament like the 2016 World Cup was.

I think I speak for a lot of people when I say that the 1998, 2002, 2006, 2010, and 2014 Olympics were all the #1 highlight on their hockey calendar for each of those respective years.

We might go an entire hockey generation without a true best-of-best tournament? Without seeing Crosby and McDavid ever play on the same team?

Can you imagine if we never got to see Gretzky and Lemieux together in 1987, and all we were left with were fantasies and imaginations?

No league treats its fans worse than the NHL.

Fans want to see NHL players at the Olympics. Fans have been thirsty for a best-on-best tournament for over 7 years (since the 2014 Olympics).

The NHL looks like they might slap their fans in the face once again.

That's not a surprising follow up from Bettman as the deadline gets tighter. Not surprising that the players are cited as the reason that the NHL is still in discussions regarding going.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Screw Bettman. The players should just leave in the middle of the season and go anyways. What is the nhl gonna do about it? Suspend everyone?

Lartsaman

Aug 2, 2018
Finland
Screw Bettman. The players should just leave in the middle of the season and go anyways. What is the nhl gonna do about it? Suspend everyone?

Like Ovechkin in 2018? If someone had left in the middle of the season regardless what NHL says, it would have been Ovechkin. He didnt. If he doesnt dare to go, I have a very hard time imagining other players to go.

Past Considerations

May 13, 2007
Finland
I find this "screw Bettman/NHL" ridiculous when it is then implied as if the players had no role in this at all.

The players always say they want to go but when the CBA crunch time comes Olympics are not a topic. If they wanted to go as much as they say (instead of just playing the victim card after its been decided) they'd make demands or concessions or both in CBA.

So, screw the players too.

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

These are professional players. They aren't going to just leave. Even if they felt inclined to, which would be fairly ridiculous, there are insurance issues and it is very doubtful that national federations would pick these players who fled the NHL for two weeks.

I find this "screw Bettman/NHL" ridiculous when it is then implied as if the players had no role in this at all.

The players always say they want to go but when the CBA crunch time comes Olympics are not a topic. If they wanted to go as much as they say (instead of just playing the victim card after its been decided) they'd make demands or concessions or both in CBA.

So, screw the players too.

It's well established that if the players didn't want to go it wouldn't be a discussion at all. Bettman said as much yesterday. Saying "screw the players" because it hasn't worked out completely in the way they wanted is childish at best.

Reactions: SanDogBrewin

Past Considerations

May 13, 2007
Finland
It's well established that if the players didn't want to go it wouldn't be a discussion at all. Bettman said as much yesterday. Saying "screw the players" because it hasn't worked out completely in the way they wanted is childish at best.
There was an important word at the end ("too") and I only mimicked what OP said (which you didn't find childish at best?).

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
These are professional players. They aren't going to just leave. Even if they felt inclined to, which would be fairly ridiculous, there are insurance issues and it is very doubtful that national federations would pick these players who fled the NHL for two weeks.

Of course the players always say they want to go. It is the proper response to the question. But do they really want to go, or are they just repeating what their agents told them was the correct answer? Maybe if you were on a gold medal team, there might be some future benefits accrued, but very few realistically think that is a possibility. The Sochi games in particular were really boring, and the lack of energy and drive was really obvious. I am not at all convinced that there will be any major pressure from the NHLPA to force management to give in.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
There was an important word at the end ("too") and I only mimicked what OP said (which you didn't find childish at best?).

Considering I didn't say anything about your sentiments toward the NHL/owners/Bettman, the "too" is irrelevant. The sentiment of "screw the players" is the foolish part.

Of course the players always say they want to go. It is the proper response to the question. But do they really want to go, or are they just repeating what their agents told them was the correct answer? Maybe if you were on a gold medal team, there might be some future benefits accrued, but very few realistically think that is a possibility. The Sochi games in particular were really boring, and the lack of energy and drive was really obvious. I am not at all convinced that there will be any major pressure from the NHLPA to force management to give in.

I have no idea what narrative you're trying to dream up. All you have to do is pay attention over the years and it's obvious that the players for the most part want to go. There is no reason for the agents to want the players to say that they want to go. Does that mean that the NHL will inevitably go? Obviously not. The NHL and the NHLPA can barely get through negotiations without shutting down the league itself most of the time.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
If there's all these reasons people need to make up on Bettman's behalf, why is the KHL letting players go?

BOS358

Purveyor of unpopular opinions
Jul 20, 2017
Boston
They aren't going to just leave. Even if they felt inclined to, which would be fairly ridiculous, there are insurance issues

Also, there is the extremely serious "breach of contract" issue that would arise when a player refuses to provide services. I don't believe there is precedent for this, but I could see a player who did this getting banned for life from the league.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
The players definitely want the NHL to go to the Olympics.

And those aren't just the players who may find themselves in Gold Medal contention.

In fact, every player in the league, even those with no hope of playing in the Olympics, wants NHL Olympic participation because it means a 2 week vacation for them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad