Olympics: NHL participation in the 2022 Olympics

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Will it happen? Post the latest updates and speculation here.

Last I heard was that May 31st was some kind of deadline and the IOC had yet to respond.

Yes, the score, by way of TSN, reported exactly what you've said.

Report: NHL, NHLPA give IOC late-May deadline for Olympic participation

TheAthletic also had an article about it:

Will NHL players really be at 2022 Olympics? The issues that must be solved

Mostly says that all sides, except for the owners, are interested in it. Comes across as pretty optimistic that things will get worked out. Interesting that it says that "multiple sources" expect the IOC is to pay for insurance costs, which was a significant issue in 2018. That article is a few months old though.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Mostly says that all sides, except for the owners, are interested in it. Comes across as pretty optimistic that things will get worked out. Interesting that it says that "multiple sources" expect the IOC is to pay for insurance costs, which was a significant issue in 2018. That article is a few months old though.

We can only hope. As fans of the game, you’ve got to wish that they know what a big opportunity it would be to display NHL talent to the market that is China.

DeysArena

Oct 5, 2020
The IOC doesn't like the NHL's policy of jumping in and out of the Olympics depending on the host. I expect them to be stubborn during the negotiations.

Reactions: Summer Rose

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
The IOC doesn't like the NHL's policy of jumping in and out of the Olympics depending on the host. I expect them to be stubborn during the negotiations.

Not sure they have as much leverage now after seeing what happened in 2018. Aside from figure skating, ice hockey is the marquee event of the winter olympics and barely anyone pays attention to it without NHLers. But then that may be a very North American biased view, perhaps in Korea they still watched it same as if NHLers had shown up?

Reactions: Johnathon Tanner

lawrence

May 19, 2012
The IOC doesn't like the NHL's policy of jumping in and out of the Olympics depending on the host

wait I thought the NHL was trying expand their brand to China? anwyays I do hope to see NHLers participate.

Mack, Crosby, Mcjesus wow....

OskarOskarius

Jan 7, 2019
Not sure they have as much leverage now after seeing what happened in 2018. Aside from figure skating, ice hockey is the marquee event of the winter olympics and barely anyone pays attention to it without NHLers. But then that may be a very North American biased view, perhaps in Korea they still watched it same as if NHLers had shown up?
In the Nordic countries skiing is certainly bigger than figure skating.

Reactions: Jussi and weklof

member 305909

I seem to recall that in 2006 in Sweden people complained that the hockey-gold stole all the attention while there were also other Swedish gold medalists.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad