News Article: NHL officially severs ties, communication with Russia’s KHL

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Being more serious here... who do you suggest? It's easy to say we can do better than Tryamkin but I don't think the KHL is filled with defensive Dman who can step right into the NHL and be a minute muncher.
That's going to have to rely on effective pro scouting. As I understand it, Tryamkin is a sometimes top pairing dman for a middling KHL team. I don't think it's a stretch to assume that there are far superior dmen to choose from if the KHL cancels next season, leaving an entire league jobless and available to sign with NHL clubs.

ChuckNorris4Cup

May 31, 2018
I see a lot of Ovi hate and I get it but does that mean the same standard is held for other Russian players who have had close ties with Putin as well, someone like a Pavel Bure, maybe his number should be removed from the rafters then. Or do people just ignore that because he's not playing so not as important...

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
I see a lot of Ovi hate and I get it but does that mean the same standard is held for other Russian players who have had close ties with Putin as well, someone like a Pavel Bure, maybe his number should be removed from the rafters then. Or do people just ignore that because he's not playing so not as important...

I'd be absolutely fine with that if Bure is a Putin supporter.

The flip side of "no politics, it's just a game" is that we should have no reservations about stripping players of any sort of recognition if they choose to side with murderous dictators. If it's truly "just a game" then nobody should be upset when a player like Bure is rendered persona non grata or if Ovi gets relentlessy booed because he chose to propagate pro-Putin propaganda.

Just because you're really, really good at hockey doesn't mean you get a free pass when it comes to acting like a decent human being.

Reactions: Nomobo

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

I'm not sure about others, but I don't think Ovechkin's accomplishments on the ice should be diminished because he loves Putin. Certainly, Ovechkin should be in the HHOF as soon as he is eligible and have his jersey retired by the Capitals.

Also, does Bure have close times with Putin? There's a difference between having a business relationship and a personal relationship. Bure certainly has had (has?) the former with Putin. Bure, as far as I know, lives in Russia now. If Putin wants to play with the legends in the legends league and shake Bure's hand and take pictures with him then that I have no issues with Bure complying.

With that said, Bure's jersey was retired because he was the first Canuck to get into the HHOF. I mean the guy reportedly got into a fight with David Duchovny (maybe Bure didn't like Duchovny not embracing his Russian heritage?) and also held out and demanded a trade over money. I'm not saying that Bure was in the wrong here but the other guys who got their jerseys retired - Canucks fans do talk about their good character.

Canucks fans don't really celebrate Bure for the person he is off the ice. We don't talk about his leadership skills or his charity work or his character. When we talk about Bure, it's all about the player on the ice.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
IMO it is one thing to sanction national teams or nations but quite another to start dumping on anyone because of an accident of birth.
There millions of Canadians that have a hard on for something, maybe a political party but if that party is found to be corrupt should all it's members be held guilty by association?
There is a world of difference between the two concepts but they are just people that live in an area or were born on the other side of a line.

Sanction the shit out of things that represent the leaders, national teams, banks, whatever but how about a little reasoning with a person eh?

Reactions: Metal Tattooist 71

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
IMO it is one thing to sanction national teams or nations but quite another to start dumping on anyone because of an accident of birth.
There millions of Canadians that have a hard on for something, maybe a political party but if that party is found to be corrupt should all it's members be held guilty by association?
There is a world of difference between the two concepts but they are just people that live in an area or were born on the other side of a line.

Sanction the shit out of things that represent the leaders, national teams, banks, whatever but how about a little reasoning with a person eh?

In general, I agree with your post, but Ovechkin isn't taking heat simply because he was born in Russia or represented it in international competitions. Ovi's being criticized for openly campaigning for Putin and amplifying his propaganda. There are an awful lot of people in Russia who fully support Putin's war against Ukraine because of the very same propaganda Ovechkin has helped to push.

I think it's naive to think that Russian athletes, like Ovechkin and Kuliak, should be free from criticisms or even questions about their support for Putin.

Reactions: racerjoe

ChuckNorris4Cup

May 31, 2018
I'd be absolutely fine with that if Bure is a Putin supporter.

The flip side of "no politics, it's just a game" is that we should have no reservations about stripping players of any sort of recognition if they choose to side with murderous dictators. If it's truly "just a game" then nobody should be upset when a player like Bure is rendered persona non grata or if Ovi gets relentlessy booed because he chose to propagate pro-Putin propaganda.

Just because you're really, really good at hockey doesn't mean you get a free pass when it comes to acting like a decent human being.

How about Malkin is he being booed? Or just Ovi? Because Malkin did the same as Ovi back in 2017 and pushed for getting Putin elected and showed his support for Putin just like Ovi did.

Bure has shown to take photos with Putin going all the way back to 2001, yes there is a sports connection also due to Bure and his family history, and then you think about the mafia stuff that came up many years ago and Bure's ties to that, and of course Putins ties to that stuff. Bure definitely keeps his political side kind of quite, but he supposedly in 2019 had an interview with some Sweeden person and denied any political ties with Putin but that's the only thing I've ever seen regarding it.

Reactions: Metal Tattooist 71

ChuckNorris4Cup

May 31, 2018
I'm not sure about others, but I don't think Ovechkin's accomplishments on the ice should be diminished because he loves Putin. Certainly, Ovechkin should be in the HHOF as soon as he is eligible and have his jersey retired by the Capitals.

Also, does Bure have close times with Putin? There's a difference between having a business relationship and a personal relationship. Bure certainly has had (has?) the former with Putin. Bure, as far as I know, lives in Russia now. If Putin wants to play with the legends in the legends league and shake Bure's hand and take pictures with him then that I have no issues with Bure complying.

With that said, Bure's jersey was retired because he was the first Canuck to get into the HHOF. I mean the guy reportedly got into a fight with David Duchovny (maybe Bure didn't like Duchovny not embracing his Russian heritage?) and also held out and demanded a trade over money. I'm not saying that Bure was in the wrong here but the other guys who got their jerseys retired - Canucks fans do talk about their good character.

Canucks fans don't really celebrate Bure for the person he is off the ice. We don't talk about his leadership skills or his charity work or his character. When we talk about Bure, it's all about the player on the ice.
I agree what Ovi has done on the ice shouldn't be tarnished, politics and the game should be separate, but I totally understand peoples frustration towards him for his outspoken support of Putin. Like I said to the other poster, what about Malkin, he showed his support for Putin in 2017 but I don't see people or news talking about him much, or people booing Malkin, all I keep seeing is Ovi, Ovi, Ovi, and just wondering are other players getting the same treatment like Ovi who have shown support for Putin or is it just Ovi taking all the blame..

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
Im curious, is it at all possible Ovi has alot of family and friends back in the homeland? If he does openly speak out against Putin now doesnt that immediately compromise them?

Reactions: theguardianII

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
Yeah I like Ovechkin as a hockey player... but I'd be lying if I said the instagram profile picture thing doesn't bug me.

Russians be Russians.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
I dont care tbh, they do what they want i continue to like the players that i like

No body cared to criticize athletes when the Bush/Obana governments were bombing the Middle East for oil and political gain? Are the Arabian/Persian people less important than the white people in Ukraine? Hell the US literally bombed another African country right after the Ukraine invasion

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I dont care tbh, they do what they want i continue to like the players that i like

No body cared to criticize athletes when the Bush/Obana governments were bombing the Middle East for oil and political gain? Are the Arabian/Persian people less important than the white people in Ukraine? Hell the US literally bombed another African country right after the Ukraine invasion

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I agree what Ovi has done on the ice shouldn't be tarnished, politics and the game should be separate, but I totally understand peoples frustration towards him for his outspoken support of Putin. Like I said to the other poster, what about Malkin, he showed his support for Putin in 2017 but I don't see people or news talking about him much, or people booing Malkin, all I keep seeing is Ovi, Ovi, Ovi, and just wondering are other players getting the same treatment like Ovi who have shown support for Putin or is it just Ovi taking all the blame..

Don't disagree but Ovechkin is the face of Russian hockey and like Malkin said one time, he's not Ovechkin - Putin doesn't call him.
love Trevor

Ever hear his anti-semitic jokes and jokes about aboriginal women?

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I draw the line on seen taking pictures with said dictator (if they exist) vs being a spokesperson for said individual. Guy has more than once headed organizations ass kissing the turd. That is Alex. To me, a good comparison is Sean Avery & Brad Marchand. Both “agitators“ but one is on another level of slime due to the way he tries to physically injure other players via cheap shots. Avery by & large just tried to hurt your feelings via tasteless jokes.

At least, that’s how I look at it. I will admit I do have a bit of homerism due to one was an ex-Canuck player & the other isn’t.

Last edited:
Reactions: tradervik

ChuckNorris4Cup

May 31, 2018
I draw the line on seen taking pictures with said dictator (if they exist) vs being a spokesperson for said individual. Guy has more than once headed organizations ass kissing the turd. That is Alex. To me, a good comparison is Sean Avery & Brad Marchand. Both “agitators“ but one is on another level of slime due to the way he tries to physically injure other players via cheap shots. Avery by & large just tried to hurt your feelings via tasteless jokes.

At least, that’s how I look at it. I will admit I do have a bit of homerism due to one was an ex-Canuck player & the other isn’t.

Here's a couple that are easy to find...

Vladimir_Putin_in_the_United_States_13-16_November_2001-20.jpg

Vladimir_Putin_15_August_2001-1.jpg

pavel-bure-vladimir-putin.png

ChuckNorris4Cup

May 31, 2018
Don't disagree but Ovechkin is the face of Russian hockey and like Malkin said one time, he's not Ovechkin - Putin doesn't call him.

Ever hear his anti-semitic jokes and jokes about aboriginal women?
Just cause he doesn't call him doesn't make it really any different it's the fact that he supports him just like Ovechkin does, no different.

Penguins' Evgeni Malkin joins 'Putin Team'

“We want (Putin) to understand that we support him,” Malkin told reporters Thursday, via the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “We play here (in the United States). We’re far away, but we understand what’s going on. We try to be together. It’s not like me or (Ovechkin) are the right-hand (men) for Putin. We just try to offer our support because, in 2018, we have the World Cup in Russia; they have elections, too. It’s a tough year. We want to be together and support him.

“I don’t know what’s going on here. (Whether Americans) don’t like or like him. I’m not trying to read everything. I just want to support him.”

Malkin posted a picture on Instagram (and later on Twitter) earlier this week of himself posing with Putin when both were wearing Russian national team jerseys. He tagged Ovechkin's Instagram handle and wrote, "Putin team."

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
Just cause he doesn't call him doesn't make it really any different it's the fact that he supports him just like Ovechkin does, no different.

“We want (Putin) to understand that we support him,” Malkin told reporters Thursday, via the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “We play here (in the United States). We’re far away, but we understand what’s going on. We try to be together. It’s not like me or (Ovechkin) are the right-hand (men) for Putin. We just try to offer our support because, in 2018, we have the World Cup in Russia; they have elections, too. It’s a tough year. We want to be together and support him.

“I don’t know what’s going on here. (Whether Americans) don’t like or like him. I’m not trying to read everything. I just want to support him.”

Malkin posted a picture on Instagram (and later on Twitter) earlier this week of himself posing with Putin when both were wearing Russian national team jerseys. He tagged Ovechkin's Instagram handle and wrote, "Putin team."

The last few weeks Ovechkin and Malkin must be like:

Are-We-The-Baddies.jpg

Reactions: ChuckNorris4Cup

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
How about Malkin is he being booed? Or just Ovi? Because Malkin did the same as Ovi back in 2017 and pushed for getting Putin elected and showed his support for Putin just like Ovi did.

Bure has shown to take photos with Putin going all the way back to 2001, yes there is a sports connection also due to Bure and his family history, and then you think about the mafia stuff that came up many years ago and Bure's ties to that, and of course Putins ties to that stuff. Bure definitely keeps his political side kind of quite, but he supposedly in 2019 had an interview with some Sweeden person and denied any political ties with Putin but that's the only thing I've ever seen regarding it.

Based on what I've read, I'd be perfectly fine if Malkin got booed.

Reactions: ChuckNorris4Cup

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
Im curious, is it at all possible Ovi has alot of family and friends back in the homeland? If he does openly speak out against Putin now doesnt that immediately compromise them?

This strikes me as one of those "sounds good in theory" suggestions, but ultimately fails upon closer examination. It's incredibly difficult to imagine that Ovi was genuinely unaware of just how bad Putin is, especially after spending the majority of his adult life in North America. It would have been very easy for Ovechkin to bring his family over to the US long before the invasion.

I don't know why so many people are falling all over themselves to make excuses for Ovechkin. Occam's razor suggests that the most likely explanation for all of this is that Ovechkin fully supports Putin's invasion of Ukraine. Until I see clear evidence to the contrary, I'm just going to assume Ovechkin is in support of what Russia is doing right now.

Ergo, he deserves to be lustily booed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad