News Article: NHL officially severs ties, communication with Russia’s KHL

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Seravalli: NHL officially severs all ties, communication with Russia's KHL

Didn't see this discussed but besides the draft, I'm more interested in the agent part:

In a memo distributed to GMs on Monday, obtained by Daily Faceoff, the NHL instructed its teams to “immediately cease all dealings [direct or indirect] with the KHL and KHL Clubs [and all representatives of both], as well as with player agents who are based in and continue to do business in Russia.”

"As well as with player agents who are based in and continue to do business in Russia."

Plain reading of this suggests that agent Dan Milstein is not affected? He is based in the states but continues to do business in Russia. I wonder how this affects the Kuzmenko sweepstakes.

The Canucks don't really have Russian prospects that aren't signed.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Seravalli: NHL officially severs all ties, communication with Russia's KHL

Didn't see this discussed but besides the draft, I'm more interested in the agent part:

"As well as with player agents who are based in and continue to do business in Russia."

Plain reading of this suggests that agent Dan Milstein is not affected? He is based in the states but continues to do business in Russia. I wonder how this affects the Kuzmenko sweepstakes.

The Canucks don't really have Russian prospects that aren't signed.

Yeah, what does 'doing business in Russia' mean exactly?

Milstein is Klimovich's agent.

Podkolzin's agent is Craig Oster of Newport Sports Management which is one of the biggest NA firms.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Yeah, what does 'doing business in Russia' mean exactly?

Milstein is Klimovich's agent.

Podkolzin's agent is Craig Oster of Newport Sports Management which is one of the biggest NA firms.

The wording appears to target agents who are based in Russia AND continue to do business in Russia. So it shouldn't implicate an agent like Milstein who is based in the United States but continues to do business in Russia. Milstein also happens to be born in Ukraine for extra security.

Reactions: MS

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Ensuring agents aren't in/tied to Russia will make it easier to deal with them. As a bonus not sending money to Russia solves many issues.

Last edited:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Ensuring agents aren't in/tied to Russia will make it easier to deal with them. As a bonus not sending money to Russia stoves many issues.

Anyone know if the "agent from native country" gets a cut out of NHL contracts negotiated by the "North American agent?"

Take Tryamkin. His agent is Todd Diamond but I am like 100% sure he didn't negotiate Tryamkin's KHL contract. Regardless, I assume the agent from a player's native country would be advising the player when it comes to whether or not to move to North America?

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I wonder how long until ovechkin/malkin/other Russian stars go home to play in the KHL of their own “free will”

Given the rouble is in free fall and Russian companies going to go broke, I don't think it will be for a very long time. There aren't even m a lot of quality goods after companies started pulling out of Russia, so they can't even spend their time at posh parties.

Last edited:

Nolan Bombgardener

Dec 23, 2005
Given the rubble in free fall and Russian companies going broke, I don't think it will be for a very long time. There aren't even m a lot of quality goods after companies started pulling out of Russia, so they can't even spend their time at posh parties.
Ovechkin's family (wife, kids) are all in Russia, right?
It'd be hard to say no if he were to be, shall we say, strongly encouraged to come home to be with his family.

Reactions: xtra

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
I think it's an open question whether there will even be a KHL next year.

Reactions: Dab

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
McDonald's shut down all their Russian locations. Shit is real.

Reactions: Dab

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Given the rubble in free fall and Russian companies going broke, I don't think it will be for a very long time. There aren't even m a lot of quality goods after companies started pulling out of Russia, so they can't even spend their time at posh parties.

I think it comes down to how long McDonald's and Addidas keep their stores closed.

Nolan Bombgardener

Dec 23, 2005
Reactions: F A N

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I doubt they live in Russia. Where would you want your kids over the next few months?

As of last two weeks ago, they were reportedly living in Russia. Maybe he has since moved them?

The war is being fought in Ukraine and not Russia so I doubt there was any urgency to move the wife and kids. I mean it's now less convenient for the wife and kids to visit him but easily doable.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I assumed he'd want them around during the 9 months he spends in Washington.
Depends on each family. How much English does she speak? If minimal then she probably is happier in Russia with family. That’s one of the considerations veterans have to factor when it comes to tdl trades and leaving their family.

Basically saying goodbye to them while you leave for the next several weeks to 3 months.
No reason for them to join the player if they have school aged children or kids in daycare.
Not leaving their support group.

so the player is in his own.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
The reason his wife and kids are in Russia instead of Washington is that the kids are very young (4 & 2) and it’s incredibly difficult to raise two small children, essentially, on your own in a foreign country where you’re not fluent. Having her family close makes all the difference.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
If there's no KHL season next year, could see the market flooded with free agents this summer. That is, assuming there isn't an embargo put in place to prevent players from plying their trade outside Russia. I wonder what that could mean for NHL teams league-wide.

I would imagine most of the top6 spots are secure, but on the bottom 6, there's a lot of gems to be had - guys that would be excellent on the PK, have some offensive pop but lure of untaxed pay and closer to family won out. The same could be said for steady minute-munching defense-first dmen.

To the extent that if your pro scouting in Russia is above league average, we could potentially make out like bandits in the two areas the Canucks need help with most.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
If there's no KHL season next year, could see the market flooded with free agents this summer. That is, assuming there isn't an embargo put in place to prevent players from plying their trade outside Russia. I wonder what that could mean for NHL teams league-wide.

I would imagine most of the top6 spots are secure, but on the bottom 6, there's a lot of gems to be had - guys that would be excellent on the PK, have some offensive pop but lure of untaxed pay and closer to family won out. The same could be said for steady minute-munching defense-first dmen.

To the extent that if your pro scouting in Russia is above league average, we could potentially make out like bandits in the two areas the Canucks need help with most.

Tryamkin? :sarcasm:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I think we can do a bit better than Tryamkin with the entirety of the KHL to choose from.

Being more serious here... who do you suggest? It's easy to say we can do better than Tryamkin but I don't think the KHL is filled with defensive Dman who can step right into the NHL and be a minute muncher.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
The reason his wife and kids are in Russia instead of Washington is that the kids are very young (4 & 2) and it’s incredibly difficult to raise two small children, essentially, on your own in a foreign country where you’re not fluent. Having her family close makes all the difference.
I don’t care what Ovi and his Family want, not my business at all, but that seems like a small hurdle to cross if they wanted… Considering there financial situation

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad