News Article: NHL officially severs ties, communication with Russia’s KHL

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Just cause he doesn't call him doesn't make it really any different it's the fact that he supports him just like Ovechkin does, no different.

Penguins' Evgeni Malkin joins 'Putin Team'

“We want (Putin) to understand that we support him,” Malkin told reporters Thursday, via the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “We play here (in the United States). We’re far away, but we understand what’s going on. We try to be together. It’s not like me or (Ovechkin) are the right-hand (men) for Putin. We just try to offer our support because, in 2018, we have the World Cup in Russia; they have elections, too. It’s a tough year. We want to be together and support him.

“I don’t know what’s going on here. (Whether Americans) don’t like or like him. I’m not trying to read everything. I just want to support him.”

Malkin posted a picture on Instagram (and later on Twitter) earlier this week of himself posing with Putin when both were wearing Russian national team jerseys. He tagged Ovechkin's Instagram handle and wrote, "Putin team."

Penguins' Evgeni Malkin joins 'Putin Team'

Speaking of Ovechkin and Malkin, back when they were like 20, Ovechkin reportedly took a swing at Malkin's Russian agent, Gennady Ushakov, in a Moscow nightclub.

I find that a lot of people don't understand the concept that you can support and vote for a guy without agreeing with him 100%. It's becoming a foreign concept even for those living in a democracy.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Back on topic. This is an article from 2017:

The man behind Penguins' star Evgeni Malkin's success

Permanence has not been easily for-the-taking amid increasing political tensions between the United States and Russia. As controversies arrive and ideologies continue to clash, restrictions to a country considered a second homeland have worried Russians who have made America part of life.

Ushakov is one of those Russians.

He would take a financial hit if the United States government chose not to let him continue working here. The bigger blow would be being denied moments with Gonchar's growing and Malkin's expanding families.

Ushalov was part of the CAA group. I wonder how many Russian agents like Ushalov are affected by the new rules.

ChuckNorris4Cup

May 31, 2018
Speaking of Ovechkin and Malkin, back when they were like 20, Ovechkin reportedly took a swing at Malkin's Russian agent, Gennady Ushakov, in a Moscow nightclub.

I find that a lot of people don't understand the concept that you can support and vote for a guy without agreeing with him 100%. It's becoming a foreign concept even for those living in a democracy.
That's funny, yeah my issue is everyone is booing Ovechkin and only Ovechkin, and guys like Malkin get nothing even though he did the same as Ovechkin. I have no problem with people booing Ovi if that's what makes them feel better fine, but he's not the only one and shouldn't be the only one getting that treatment, should be towards them all who have shown support for Putin, or you just don't boo anyone.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
That's funny, yeah my issue is everyone is booing Ovechkin and only Ovechkin, and guys like Malkin get nothing even though he did the same as Ovechkin. I have no problem with people booing Ovi if that's what makes them feel better fine, but he's not the only one and shouldn't be the only one getting that treatment, should be towards them all who have shown support for Putin, or you just don't boo anyone.

I get that and I don't think anyone is really disagreeing. To my knowledge, Malkin really hasn't addressed the issue. But like I said, Ovechkin is the face of Russian hockey so his support of Putin is magnified compared to today's Bure who has spent most of his post playing career out of the limelight.

Anyways, I'm hoping to move back on topic so this thread doesn't get locked. Anyone know other agents like Ushalov who would seemingly fall under NHL's ban?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad