NHL Mega-Mock Draft Reboot - Discussion / Draft Thread - PHASE SIX! Part Two!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
If it was anyone other than @BernieParent, I'd be on a rampage right now. He deserves the Expos infinitely more than I do, and I know he will treat them with the respect they demand.

A main reason I chose the Molsons was to tap into my Montreal-centric experiences, as is probably blindingly evident. The Expos was a must as my fanship for them rivaled that for the Flyers. @Young Sandwich, I accept your uncommunicated frustration with my choice and would be fine to co-own the Expos, which sadly would reflect yet another facet of the team's painfully slow demise.

BernieParent

Mar 13, 2009
That '94 team was so much fun and so ridiculously good. I remember going to all 3 games of a Fri-Sat-Sun series at the Vet. Pedro didn't pitch, but I was a big fan of John Wetteland, who did make a few appearances that weekend.

That outfield was so talented that Rondell White wasn't a starter. I guess that's what happens when you have a HOFer and 2 other guys who got some votes.

I was at the last home series of '94 against the Braves, which determined (moot point!) first place at that point in the season. All time greatest in-person fan experience: a hard-hit single went to Grissom in CF with a runner rounding third. 43,000 of us jumped to our feet for the expected play at the plate. When the ump called him out, the stadium literally rumbled underneath us as we cheered, which was both euphoric and scary (if you know anything about Olympic Stadium).

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Kupio, Finland - Summer 2009

KalPa player / owner Sami Kapanen has wrapped up a successful first season playing for his own club, but looks back wistfully on his NHL career and the Stanley Cup shaped hole in it. To take his mind off of this, he decides to go see the latest Pixar film, [Ranch], with his now 13 year old son, Kasperi.

Sami is transfixed and emotionally devastated by the saddest 5 minute montage in the history of cinema, while poor Kasperi breaks down and ugly cries throughout the film. Sami identifies with the protagonist, who, having lost his wife, regrets that they never had the adventure they longed to have.

Sami is moved when the man then pushes back against the crush of “progress” and utilizes his skills as balloon man to convert his old Victorian house into a zeppelin, of a sort, to set out on the adventure he & his beloved wife had always dreamed of.

house%20up.jpg

Sami’s captivated as the protagonist meets his childhood hero, a zeppelin flying adventurer who turns out to be the film’s villain. In a key sequence, the man’s beloved home is set on fire, forcing him to make a decision between doing the right thing or saving his connection to his wife from the flames. Eventually, our hero realizes that his time with his wife was the most important adventure he could ever have hoped for, that he needs to let go of his past, of his house, in order to move on, save the day, and find new purpose in his life. Incidentally, the film also features talking dogs and a giant goofy looking bird named Kevin.

Sami leaves the film deeply moved, reminded not only of that fateful school trip to Lakehurst in 2004, but also of the weeks he spent with his family in lovely Cape May, NJ, famous for its stately Victorian homes, and of days spent building sand zeppelins with little Kasperi on the beach.

cape-may-airport-flights.jpg

When asked about an affiliate Pro Beach Hockey Team, Sami thinks back to that day in 2009 and is inspired.

The NJFZ Official PBHL Team will be known as the Cape May Flaming Victorians. Team colors: Light Blue, Pastel Pink, Purple.

@JojoTheWhale, is it time to take a goalie yet?

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
A main reason I chose the Molsons was to tap into my Montreal-centric experiences, as is probably blindingly evident. The Expos was a must as my fanship for them rivaled that for the Flyers. @Young Sandwich, I accept your uncommunicated frustration with my choice and would be fine to co-own the Expos, which sadly would reflect yet another facet of the team's painfully slow demise.
I appreciate the offer Bern, but it's truly unnecessary. I had a hunch you'd go for them, and I prepared myself to accept that inevitability. After many minutes of crying in the fetal position in the corner of my basement, I can now move forward refreshed and anew.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
That '94 team was so much fun and so ridiculously good. I remember going to all 3 games of a Fri-Sat-Sun series at the Vet. Pedro didn't pitch, but I was a big fan of John Wetteland, who did make a few appearances that weekend.

That outfield was so talented that Rondell White wasn't a starter. I guess that's what happens when you have a HOFer and 2 other guys who got some votes.
TSN did a mock World Series after the strike and had the Expos beat, I want to say, the Yankees in 5 or 6.

That was a great team. It really is a shame how it all fell apart, in general, but at a time when they were on the ascendency.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Kupio, Finland - Summer 2009

KalPa player / owner Sami Kapanen has wrapped up a successful first season playing for his own club, but looks back wistfully on his NHL career and the Stanley Cup shaped hole in it. To take his mind off of this, he decides to go see the latest Pixar film, [Ranch], with his now 13 year old son, Kasperi.

Sami is transfixed and emotionally devastated by the saddest 5 minute montage in the history of cinema, while poor Kasperi breaks down and ugly cries throughout the film. Sami identifies with the protagonist, who, having lost his wife, regrets that they never had the adventure they longed to have.

Sami is moved when the man then pushes back against the crush of “progress” and utilizes his skills as balloon man to convert his old Victorian house into a zeppelin, of a sort, to set out on the adventure he & his beloved wife had always dreamed of.

house%20up.jpg

Sami’s captivated as the protagonist meets his childhood hero, a zeppelin flying adventurer who turns out to be the film’s villain. In a key sequence, the man’s beloved home is set on fire, forcing him to make a decision between doing the right thing or saving his connection to his wife from the flames. Eventually, our hero realizes that his time with his wife was the most important adventure he could ever have hoped for, that he needs to let go of his past, of his house, in order to move on, save the day, and find new purpose in his life. Incidentally, the film also features talking dogs and a giant goofy looking bird named Kevin.

Sami leaves the film deeply moved, reminded not only of that fateful school trip to Lakehurst in 2004, but also of the weeks he spent with his family in lovely Cape May, NJ, famous for its stately Victorian homes, and of days spent building sand zeppelins with little Kasperi on the beach.

cape-may-airport-flights.jpg

When asked about an affiliate Pro Beach Hockey Team, Sami thinks back to that day in 2009 and is inspired.

The NJFZ Official PBHL Team will be known as the Cape May Flaming Victorians. Team colors: Light Blue, Pastel Pink, Purple.

@JojoTheWhale, is it time to take a goalie yet?

It is not, my friend. It is instead time to follow your lead and create a natural Beach Hockey rivalry with you.

I don't have a big explanation here. We're stealing the branding of a minor league baseball team in an effort to get a breakfast sandwich sponsor. The goal here is simply that weekend mornings consist of me walking from my front door up to the beach to watch weird beach hockey and have a free breakfast sandwich.

b3Uz4UFj_400x400.jpg

Long may The OCNJ Biscuits reign.

@Lord Defect Please return us to sanity.

BernieParent

Mar 13, 2009
They need to get a team back ASAP. They need to just because, but now that we know how @BernieParent feels, even moreso.

I want so much to agree, Cap'n, and I deeply appreciate the sentiment, but among all of the issues around the relocation of the Expos to Washington (spit!) is the realization that major-league baseball likely will never work again in Montreal. For one, Montrealers embrace a winner; we don't go to enjoy a sport, we go to see our team win. The Canadiens are a different animal, but fans turning their back on mediocre teams is our brand. Not only did MLB deal a terrible blow to the Expos with the termination of the 1994 season, but the Expos admin conducted a fire sale that took what little wind was left in the sails of competitiveness. As well, given the financial structure of MLB, we don't have the capital to build a competitive team. Maybe I am a still-hurting pessimist but I don't see the construction of a downtown facility for a new team to be in anyone's best interest.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
I was at the last home series of '94 against the Braves, which determined (moot point!) first place at that point in the season. All time greatest in-person fan experience: a hard-hit single went to Grissom in CF with a runner rounding third. 43,000 of us jumped to our feet for the expected play at the plate. When the ump called him out, the stadium literally rumbled underneath us as we cheered, which was both euphoric and scary (if you know anything about Olympic Stadium).
My last Expos game was a strange experience. I don’t even know who they were playing now, but it was Spring 1993 and it was the night Dave Volek scored the OT goal to knock out the two time defending champ Penguins.

They showed a grainy highlight on the centre field screen and I have never in my life heard a place so loud. The fans in Montreal knew they had a really good shot at winning the whole thing, which they did, of course.

Note: found the box score. Apparently the Expos played the Mets. I honestly can't remember a thing about that game. :laugh: The Expos won 9-8 after taking the lead in the bottom half of the first and never looking back.

BernieParent

Mar 13, 2009
I appreciate the offer Bern, but it's truly unnecessary. I had a hunch you'd go for them, and I prepared myself to accept that inevitability. After many minutes of crying in the fetal position in the corner of my basement, I can now move forward refreshed and anew.

iu

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
It doesn't even have to have a beach - the league started on the beach, but a team could join that league despite being beachless. They could dump sand in a parking lot, or have a giant birdcage full of seagulls shitting all over the place, etc.

EDIT: I would say, though, that just brainlessly plopping one in Indianapolis, for example, dramatically raises the % chance that it will suck. Just saying.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
It doesn't even have to have a beach - the league started on the beach, but a team could join that league despite being beachless. They could dump sand in a parking lot, or have a giant birdcage full of seagulls shitting all over the place, etc.

EDIT: I would say, though, that just brainlessly plopping one in Indianapolis, for example, dramatically raises the % chance that it will suck. Just saying.

Plop it in Indianapolis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad