NHL Making Contingency Plans for Arena-less Coyotes? (All Relo Speculation Here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
No they werent

The two main groups in Seattle have done a great job in given the impression they have nearly had the Phoenix team a few times--all the media leaks have come from the seattle group and their attempt to get a team

The Seattle arena plane clearly has an NBA first clause and awhile ago the question was asked "what if an nhl team was moved to Seattle?"--The NBA clause needs to be met first before the NHL goes to Seattle--untill Seattle changes the wording of the funding for the arena and a few other things--Seattle is quite a ways away from having an arena.

The two bidders are convinced and have convinced their supporters and KOMO and King 5 that if they get a relocated team--the Seattle City council will reword the NBA clause for the new Arean--so far the council is unmoved on that subject

Yes they were 1 no vote away. Had the coyotes moved to Seattle and played in key arena it would have helped Seattle get the NHL first deal done with sodo arena.

In fact Seattle city council memory Tim Burgess has said there was a lease agreement with Key arena for the coyotes had the team moved to seattle in 2013. Again had the team moved to Seattle, NHL first for Sodo arena would have gotten done.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Yes they were 1 no vote away. Had the coyotes moved to Seattle and played in key arena it would have helped Seattle get the NHL first deal done with sodo arena.

In fact Seattle city council memory Tim Burgess has said there was a lease agreement with Key arena for the coyotes had the team moved to seattle in 2013. Again had the team moved to Seattle, NHL first for Sodo arena would have gotten done.

I can tell you for 100% fact the NHL had not signed off on that perspective move

Shanny

Let's Win It All
Jun 12, 2009
Bytown
Play out of Talking Stick Resort Arena next year and either strike a deal with the Suns on a new Yotes-Suns shared arena....or relocate at the end of the season.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
It was assumed had the coyotes moved to seattle in 2013 that a new arena would gotten figure out with just a NHL team.

I don't think the NHL wants a team in quebec if they are going to have to be in the western conference conference for the next half a decade or longer.

NHL has played in worse arenas than Key arena as temporary facility that is not a problem. If they were willing to play 3 years in key arena two years ago then they won't have a problem today.

I think they would try to put the team in Seattle again under similar arrangements that would have moved the team to Seattle 2 years ago before they look at relocating them to Quebec.
Two years ago there wasn't a new tenant less arena available and in those two years, how much has Seattle advanced their "permanent" home for the coyotes?

When people say " the nhl doest want a slam dunk, guaranteed success in the east" what they mean is they don't want quebec to get a team, because no western team is as ready, as guaranteed success.

I mean let's skip the sure thing and double down on desert hockey, again!

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I can tell you for 100% fact the NHL had not signed off on that perspective move

And you know that how?

We are talking about 2013 where there was no other alternate options to keep the team in the western conference than Seattle. When a team has to move to a new city before the next season begin the NHL will ignore the arena problem and allow the team to play for a few years in an nonviable arena. Had glendale said no, NHL would have no choice but to move the team to seattle.

It is much easier to get a new arena done for a NHL team, if the NHL team is already playing in seattle.

The only difference between 2013 and today, there are other western city options that are better than Seattle. Portland and Vegas.

NHL if they have to will move the team to a western city before they ever move it to quebec. I see Quebec has the last resort having to move the team if any western city isn't possible. I see Seattle being the last resort western city to move the team to.

Last edited:

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
And you know that how?

We are talking about 2013 where there was no other alternate options to keep the team in the western conference than Seattle. When a team has to move to a new city before the next season begin the NHL will ignore the arena problem and allow the team to play for a few years in an nonviable arena.

It is much easier to get a new arena done for a NHL team, if the NHL team is already playing in seattle.

lets just say I have interacted previously with some members on the business side of both the NHL and NHLTOSEATTLE--(I have stopped posting information I receive in this board due to the fact it got me into trouble in the real world--feel free to check with FUGU on the subject of me getting inside information)

The information on that one vote came from the NHLTO SEATTLE and their supporters

the NHL shot that down right away--both king 5, komo TV 4 and Brooks out of NY all used the same person as a source--

the nhl wants the expansion money from a Seattle team--not the relocation money

at the time the news article stated the moving vans were booked and ready to go

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA

I think this sentence sums up Seattle's issue very succinctly.

There are at least three cities that already have interest, arenas, and no teams. They didn't need a team dropped in their lap to motivate the powers that be to cut through the red tape and get something done. I mean, Seattle already lost a team dilly dallying around with their arena situation and that was eight years ago.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I'd call this ongoing farce an embarrassment to the league, but this has been Gary's baby since Day One, so I suppose it's just business as usual at NHL HQ. :help:

Hopefully it's all over soon, because I'd rather it not steal the spotlight from two deserving teams.

JMROWE

Apr 2, 2010
Hamilton Ontario
I believe the Coyotes are done in Arizona & will relocate earthier in time 2015\2016 season or the 2016\2017 season where that is the question there some good markets out there but don't want NHL. teams like Portland , Kansas City & Houston & then you got Seattle which wants a team but local government dose not want to pony up the cash to help fund a new arena also I do think Las Vegas might be the front runner for the Coyotes but I think the NHL. would rather bilk William Foley out 400 million dollars in expansion fees then relocate a team there for cheap .

Wouldn't it be something after all the fiasco that went on down in Arizona that the Coyotes ended up in Hamilton after all . As for Quebec City I think there in line for an expansion team or a possible destination for the Florida Panthers when they eventually relocate in a few years anyways I think if they do not move the coyotes to Vegas I think Hamilton would be the best destination because you can put Hamilton in the western conference along side other teams that are kind in that grey area of west & east with Chicago , St. Louis , Nashville & Minnesota you could not do that with Quebec City or any possible destination for the coyotes .

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I believe the Coyotes are done in Arizona & will relocate earthier in time 2015\2016 season or the 2016\2017 season where that is the question there some good markets out there but don't want NHL. teams like Portland , Kansas City & Houston & then you got Seattle which wants a team but local government dose not want to pony up the cash to help fund a new arena also I do think Las Vegas might be the front runner for the Coyotes but I think the NHL. would rather bilk William Foley out 400 million dollars in expansion fees then relocate a team there for cheap .

Wouldn't it be something after all the fiasco that went on down in Arizona that the Coyotes ended up in Hamilton after all . As for Quebec City I think there in line for an expansion team or a possible destination for the Florida Panthers when they eventually relocate in a few years anyways I think if they do not move the coyotes to Vegas I think Hamilton would be the best destination because you can put Hamilton in the western conference along side other teams that are kind in that grey area of west & east with Chicago , St. Louis , Nashville & Minnesota you could not do that with Quebec City or any possible destination for the coyotes .

The issue with quebec city or any other eastern time zone city is and it doesn't matter if its expansion or the coyotes and that's the unbalance of the league. NHL is aiming to expand Seattle (once arena is finalized) and Vegas. I think NHL would rather save Quebec for a eastern conference team that has to relocate.

With that said, i think the NHL would rather do 15/17 of Vegas(coyotes), Seattle and quebec (expansion) before they ever do 13/17 which is coyotes to quebec.

Habidelidoo

Aug 3, 2005
If I'm Quebecor, I file a generous offer to LeBlanc & NHL for the Yotes. 500 Millions on the table.

NorthernILHawksFan

Feb 14, 2010
IL
Why is there this notion that the Red Wings seemingly run this league?

Who says Detroit and/or Columbus can't move to the Western Conference? Sure, they wouldn't like it, but I don't get why people seem to think it's impossible. In the end realignment isn't up to the Detroit Red Wings.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
If I'm Quebecor, I file a generous offer to LeBlanc & NHL for the Yotes. 500 Millions on the table.

If we are talking 500m, then NHL would reject the sale for the coyotes and just give quebec expansion.

Why is there this notion that the Red Wings seemingly run this league?

Who says Detroit and/or Columbus can't move to the Western Conference? Sure, they wouldn't like it, but I don't get why people seem to think it's impossible. In the end realignment isn't up to the Detroit Red Wings.

That's not out the league works. The league and the majority of the teams will not force Detroit or Columbus to the western conference.

berklon

Dec 24, 2008

It would be something... but it's not going to happen. The chances are slim and none.
No potential owner, no new arena coming and still have to deal with MLSE and Buffalo.

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010
8 days ago we all laughed at this

Nobody laughing now

I definitely wasn't. The source seemed decent, the thread was locked because the last thing the board needs is a baseless relocation thread attacking the sunbelt teams and fans......however, looks to have some substance to it.

Gotta love the Bill Daly quote now:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=103327723&postcount=18

Adding this to the thread, fyi:

http://www.tsn.ca/daly-quashes-nhl-r...umour-1.299045

Quote:
"There is absolutely no truth to speculation that any NHL franchise is currently considering relocation," Daly said on Wednesday afternoon. "The League and its franchises have never been more stable. There has been no discussion whatsoever regarding a potential relocation and there is a zero percent chance that any franchise will be moved prior to the start of the 2015/16 season."

Killion.....it might end up being one of those three...

This has been mentioned on other threads here & quite appropriately filed in the wastebasket. The dots dont connect. What team? Name it. Name it & we can give you a 1000 reasons why its not gunna happen. Arizona? Nope. Florida? Nope. Carolina? Nope. What else ya got? What possible fire couldve been burning underground for so long that no one smelled smoke? Im calling BS on these rumors, tweets & this thread.

Proof please.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=103322891&postcount=6

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Think they get a deal for a new arena in Phoenix with the Suns.

I do not think that is an actually option in the time frame of making contingency plans for the team. What if city of Phoenix rejects suns request for a new arena then what?

Habidelidoo

Aug 3, 2005
If we are talking 500m, then NHL would reject the sale for the coyotes and just give quebec expansion.

Why ?

Getting 300M in relocation fee from QC and removing a lame duck franchise is more advantageous long term to other owers than a 450M expansion fee and diluting everything (TV rights, talent, etc) if you ask me.

Especially when 2 other franchises are in trouble. If you expand instead of relocating, you will suffer later when you try to transfer franchises with no interesting options left.

Last edited:

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY
Why do people think QC playing in the West is a good idea? Temporary or not, it would be an abomination. The reason why it worked for Winnipeg was because Winnipeg is in the center of the NHL map. Quebec would be the most eastern part of the NHL map. It's just a bad idea.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Why ?

Getting 300M in relocation fee from QC + removing a lame duck franchise is more advantageous long term to other owers than a 450M expansion fee + diluting everything (TV rights, talent, etc) if you ask me.

There isn't a diluting problem with both talent and tv rights.

Seattle, portland and Vegas will provide more to the league (untapped markets) than Quebec will ever provide.

The best interest in the league, the best scenario for league would be coyotes stay in the western conference (Portland) then expand to Seattle and Vegas. Quebec city will get a team when Panthers have to move.

Only way Quebec gets expansion if Seattle or Vegas gets the coyotes.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
I do not think that is an actually option in the time frame of making contingency plans for the team. What if city of Phoenix rejects suns request for a new arena then what?

I think at worst they will play in the Suns arena this year. if Phoenix doesn't agree to a new arena, then they might take off. However, I think hockey in the Phoenix market is Bettman's baby and he will do everything humanly possible to see it through.

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
For the Co-Tenant with the Suns crowd. I believe that's probably the only option now for the franchise staying in the region. That said, shooing away all the "depends on Sarver" etc., I could see this happening (and the viability) IF Barroway et al weren't already heavily leveraged. I feel the revenues from being back closer to the center would absolutely improve however the make up of this group seriously lacks the wherewithal to continue taking hits of greater than say $15M. Lose the subsidy, gain a modest uptick in revenues (assuming a partnership with Sarver is somewhat beneficial) but lose again on current obligations... tough hoe.

Especially the timeline involving the Suns lease (years left), getting things in motion to get a new Arena groundbreaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad