OT: NHL: Lou Lamoriello named new Maple Leafs GM

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Rogers owns 37.5 % and Bell owns 37.5% of the Leafs and when the Leafs are winning TV ratings explode so there is incentive now. The Golden Horseshow around Toronto is 30% of the population of the entire country.

But the arena is still sold out on game night correct? IIRC there is also a waiting list for season tickets.

IMO as long as STH numbers hold or improve the Leafs will not have the incentive (or as great an incentive) to improve the team no matter who owns it since the NHL is still largely gate driven when it comes to revenue.

You'd think Leafs fans would catch on....they must be like Red Sox fans :p:

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
You'd think Leafs fans would catch on....they must be like Red Sox fans :p:

Red Sox fans have had long periods of staying away in droves. Leaf fans have been banging their building(s) out to the rafters for the last 50 years. Hence the reason Red Sox fans have seen 3 World Series trophies in the last 11 years, and Leaf fans only get to see the Cup when it is returned to the HHOF.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
It's going to be so great watching this Management " Super Team " fall flat on its face. :laugh:

Lou is there to train Dubas. That is a lock.

Lou will train him and be there for Shanny to bounce things of he relinquishes reigns - Lou is not a young man

Makes a lot of sense for Toronto

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Nah, this is a good thing IMO... Let Dubas "run" the team while Lou Lams is the figurehead and advisor.

Shanahan knocked it out of the park with this IMO.

Agree- Lou Lams is winding down he goes to Toronto with loads of experience and knowledge and imparts it on young grasshopper Dubas.

He gives Shanny a valued and trusted opinion and he will be fine with Babcock

The two Leafs power boys are not intimidated or worried about Lou. They should be thrilled at what he can offer

Very smart move for a team that hasn't been doing a lot of it lately

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
I'm torn. I love Lou L. and think he's been great for hockey so I want to blast you.

But I love Todd and think he might just be the most talented person in rock/pop music over the last 50 years.

Lou was a real a-hole to my father a few times so I intensely dislike him.

But we agree on Todd and that's way more important.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Lou's a local guy right? I wonder if the Bruins knew of his availability and potentially tried to make that work themselves.

Haven't Lou and Burke been the two local management guys everyone has mentioned the last 20 years?

Yeah, not to mention Dean Lombardi...
Some great management minds there.

Btown

Oct 1, 2011
Nah, this is a good thing IMO... Let Dubas "run" the team while Lou Lams is the figurehead and advisor.

Shanahan knocked it out of the park with this IMO.

Agreed great move, Lous not "running" this club EVERYBODY should know that. He's one heck of a sound board for the "guys" running the show and when Dubas is ready Lou can step down gracefully. Toronto fans deserve there money to be spent on anything that may increase the on ice product. Hands are tied with the cap so spend it on management.

Rumpy

Mar 13, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
This has to be a paper move to help Shanahan with day to day business.

Lou will be like Sather was in New York and Toronto didn't want the shot storm of hiring a 32 yr old GM in Dubas.

Only way this makes any sense is if Lou is kind of an advisor/president under Shanny and since they had a vacant GM position voila ...

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00