Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
:amazed:

I don't get shocked often anymore but this is a stunner

Lou Lamoriello named new Maple Leafs GM

Lou Lamoriello resigned as president of the New Jersey Devils and was named the new general manager of the Toronto Maple Leafs Thursday.

Lamoriello had spent 28 years with the Devils franchise. The 72-year-old helped lead the Devils to the playoffs 21 times during his time there, winning the Stanley Cup in 1995, 2000 and 2003.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
This is big enough to justify its own thread and it indirectly affects the Bruins as we are in the same division.

Meh. That management team is crowded enough. Don't think this is as big of news as the headline suggests.

Last edited:

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
The GM that drafted Shanny is hired by Shanny.

I love it. That Devils franchise from 88 til recently was as structured and well run as any in any sport...

Lou,

Except for that whole Kovalchuk thing, Parise leaving (which I don't blame the team for really ;)), playing in the armpit of Merica, and the fact that they have been very meh for 4 of he last 5 years...totally agree.

:laugh:

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Lou,

Except for that whole Kovalchuk thing, Parise leaving (which I don't blame the team for really ;)), playing in the armpit of Merica, and the fact that they have been very meh for 4 of he last 5 years...totally agree.

:laugh:

3 cup wins in 9 years, 5 cup appearances in 17 seasons. Nine division titles in thirteen years. Not shabby.

He won half as many cups as our original 6 team .. :laugh:

He hung on too long, no doubt.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
**** that guy. I hope he falls on his ****ing face.

I'm torn. I love Lou L. and think he's been great for hockey so I want to blast you.

But I love Todd and think he might just be the most talented person in rock/pop music over the last 50 years.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Having a major A + B = D moment here.

Don't see the connection .

Lou's a local guy right? I wonder if the Bruins knew of his availability and potentially tried to make that work themselves.

Haven't Lou and Burke been the two local management guys everyone has mentioned the last 20 years?

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Good move. Leafs really needed a culture change. They need a defense-first mentality, some leadership and character in the locker room, and some hard-nosed players to compliment their nucleus of skill. All of these changes are right up Lou's ally.

Grumpy Grizz

Feb 27, 2002
Comox, Vancouver Island.
After the seeing how much they are paying Babcock, it will be interesting to see Lou's salary. Salary cap is only for players so they could give him the moon and not even notice it, because of how much money that franchise is worth.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Typical Leafs. Can't throw money at all the biggest players anymore, so now they're just throwing money at all the biggest off-ice names.

It certainly looks that way doesn't it?

Lamoriello had done a great job as Evils GM until the cap went into effect. After that he seemed to struggle to keep the team competing for Cups.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
After the seeing how much they are paying Babcock, it will be interesting to see Lou's salary. Salary cap is only for players so they could give him the moon and not even notice it, because of how much money that franchise is worth.

In a way that's too bad because as long as the money keeps flowing in the Leafs really have no incentive to ice a decent team. Jeremy Jacobs finally learned that lesson- you can't ice crap teams and expect the arena to be filled with fans, particularly season ticket holding fans.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
In a way that's too bad because as long as the money keeps flowing in the Leafs really have no incentive to ice a decent team. Jeremy Jacobs finally learned that lesson- you can't ice crap teams and expect the arena to be filled with fans, particularly season ticket holding fans.

Rogers owns 37.5 % and Bell owns 37.5% of the Leafs and when the Leafs are winning TV ratings explode so there is incentive now. The Golden Horseshow around Toronto is 30% of the population of the entire country.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad