News Article: NHL logo rankings No. 21: Toronto Maple Leafs

AustonMitchWilly

Jul 3, 2013
some all-time favorites:
220px-Hartford_Whalers_Logo-79-92.svg.png

This is the first time I EVER saw the white H. It totally Fedex'd itself on me, now I'll never unsee it.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
Although iconic, the leafs logo is pretty boring in comparison to other teams logos. Although I personally wouldn't rank the leafs logo that low, I can understand it.

TheThrill81*

Although iconic, the leafs logo is pretty boring in comparison to other teams logos. Although I personally wouldn't rank the leafs logo that low, I can understand it.

If it's iconic, I don't see how boring it can be. Now the Blue Jackets logo looks like it belongs at a beauty pageant or figure skating competition.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
This is the first time I EVER saw the white H. It totally Fedex'd itself on me, now I'll never unsee it.

That was the first time I'd ever noticed it as well, made me instantly appreciate it that much more. It's like when I first noticed all of the little details that go into the Wild's logo

minnesota_wild_2000px_minnesota_wild_svg_png_2000_1295__RSfVIbrU.sized.png

One of my favourites in the game, even if it is a little busier than most.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
How are the logos rated? Aesthetics/history? Either way ours should be top 5...not being biased here.

I think it's like a "pretend you don't know anything about these logos, teams, history etc. Straight up graphical design ratings"

So, in that regard the Leafs logo is very simplistic, boring, etc.

Yet, who will we see in the top ten? Probably other very simplistic designs, so the article kinda reeks of BS to get hits or the THN writers are Habs and Canucks fans.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Where would the Leafs rank if this was their main logo?

1aleafs1.gif

This should be our main logo.

I'm not sure how many people are aware of this now adays but, the Maple Leafs is a military reference, which is why when haters try and say it should be Leaves they are wrong. Had to do with badges worn during WW1, which Smythe fought in.

“The Maple Leaf to us, was the badge of courage, the badge that meant home. It was the badge that reminded us all of our exploits and the different difficulties we got into and the different accomplishments we made. It was a badge that meant more to us than any other badge that we could think of... so we chose it... hoping that the possession of this badge would mean something to the team that wore it and when they skated out on the ice with this badge on their chest... they would wear it with honour and pride and courage, the way it had been worn by the soldiers of the first Great War in the Canadian Army."

-Conn Smythe

Considering what our team logo's meaning truly is, and that it was changed, I can't complain about our rank, if we still sported the original logo taken from the military badge I'd rank that 1st all day every day.

http://www.lazysports.info/Toronto_Maple_Leafs?tab=Image_Sets&ImageSet=148360

the green one, don't know how to put it up.

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
This article is ridiculous if the Leafs logo is ranked 20th. What kids ranked that list?

The Leafs logo is worth a fortune for sales and marketing of items, far more than just about any other NHL logo. All original six logos are worth a lot.

If they were doing a list ranking a clubs worth, then I'm sure that would come up. However they are not.

If the Leafs had stuck with their 40s-60's logo and added another 54 years onto it, it would probably rank just as high as a team like the Red Wings. However they didn't. And I'd hardly call the current Leaf logo "classic" as some have put it. Not as classic as the Wings, Rangers or Canadiens which have hardly changed throughout most of their respective histories.

Art is in the eye of the beholder though. And this beholder didn't see eye to eye with the Leafs this time.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
First point : this isn't news

21st point - the hockey news hasn't mattered since words started appearing on computer screens. Clearly the message to take from this is that every other team's logo isn't as good as ours, and ours is way better. Go Leafs Go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad