News Article: NHL logo rankings No. 21: Toronto Maple Leafs

Gutchecktime

Dec 24, 2005
Do you want hits? Because that's how you get hits.

Basically what I think it boiled down to for THN.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
I'm not going to disagree because it could use in the least, a better font. It doesn't get more business oriented than block lettering

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
WTF?

The Leafs logo isn't the prettiest, nor are the guys wearing it any good, but the Leafs logo is iconic

Also, is OP related to Wiz?

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Do you want hits? Because that's how you get hits.

Basically what I think it boiled down to for THN.

They ranked every team in the league, so it is not specifically to spark hits from the Toronto fan base so much as trying to have content during the dog days of summer.

Personally I think the logo looks bland without the uniform but our uniforms are among the most attractive. I am of course biased...I think all the original 6 teams should get bonus points.

Gutchecktime

Dec 24, 2005
They ranked every team in the league, so it is not specifically to spark hits from the Toronto fan base so much as trying to have content during the dog days of summer.

Personally I think the logo looks bland without the uniform but our uniforms are among the most attractive. I am of course biased...I think all the original 6 teams should get bonus points.

I get that they ranked every team. It is certainly a happy coincidence for them that ranking the an iconic logo 21st will spark even more hits for their website, both from outraged Leaf fans and smug non-Leaf fans. Smart actually.

I do agree that our third jersey logo is more esthetically pleasing though.

Tyler Biggs*

I can't wait to hear this guy defend Montreal's toilet seat as the #1 logo

:nod:

It's the Maple Leaf, how creative can you get? At least the franchise didn't turn a potentially nationalistically iconic name like the "Canadiens" into a toilet seat. But, apparently that's higher on this lame list.

Bionda

AL East Champions
Dec 31, 2007
Toronto, ON
THN. What a rag.
Ceaseless Toronto bashing is en vogue now.. **** them.

Leafs have an iconic logo, I enjoy the numerous variations as well, especially the '33 and '42 versions.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
interesting to see that they were able to distinguish between the Ballard logo and today's logo - they are infact different, and I don't think I've ever seen a source that was sharp enough to catch this little-known fact.

The Leafs logo during the Ballard years had rounded edges and points, and the "Toronto Maple Leafs" font was actually the same size (not smaller as the article suggests). The difference is that the Maple Leaf itself was smaller and thinner, giving the illusion that the words were smaller when infact they were the same size as today.

Today's logo has sharp edges and points, and is a little wider/bulkier.

Check this pic of Darryl Sittler vs. Mats Sundin to see how different it really was:

sittler-cp-1982_584.jpg

mats-sundin-in-toronto.jpg

pin_sittler02.jpg

Just a lil' tidbit for everyone :)

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
It could definitely be better.

I'm hoping when the team gets good again they bring back the earlier 60's logo.

Love the Winter Classic jersey too.

Although Detroit's Winter Classic jersey is even more amazing if I'm honest.

Anyway, ridiculous to have the Leafs at 21. The logo itself is bland mostly due to the block letters but it's still a nice simple design that is iconic.

I know iconic wasn't in their criteria but that's just plain stupid to remove that criteria. That's like judging iconic corporate logo's and saying Coca-Cola is bland, the Nike swoosh is just a freakin' checkmark, how about that Apple with a bite out of it? So bland!!!!

No, it needs to be busier apparently.

MrLegend28*

i find it hard to believe there are 20 better looking logos in the NHL

Chungo

Dec 7, 2010
Agree with the fact that THN is a Leaf basher at best. Boycott of THN in progress.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I just want to see who goes number 1. I like the classic look. Maybe needs a little more modernization, but you can't knock them for keeping it classic. Where has, or will, the other Original 6's go, because they are in the same boat. I like the logo and the colour scheme; doesn't need to be changed all too much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad