NHL has to be nervous about TV ratings for the 2018 Playoffs on both sides of border

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
This is the only league where the value of their stars in the playoffs is ignored. Look at this thread. No mention of the talent that is going to miss. That's because the league has allowed its stars to be beaten down and not allowed to truly shine. I'm surprised Crosby is still playing considering the abuse he has taken over the years.

If the league protected its star players, then big markets wouldn't be such a need for good ratings. They don't, so...

This checks out.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
French TVAS has very little they can market.

TVA Sport already stated they will present all Bruins playoff games. I guess they are bargaining on people like me who couldn't go from Nordiques to Habs so instead went to their rival. So...I don't mind it a bit.

Why ? They get their money whether 5 people watch or 5 million.

Not exactly. Ads are a big big big big chunk of revenues TV networks make. And ads aren't sold 10 years in advance either. NHL gets their money sure. But if TV networks don't make money back, you really think they are willing to sign another 12 years multi billion contracts ? NHL may currently care less about Canadian networks but they are certainly worries about US networks whose renewal is up and coming pretty soon.

Canada would be thrilled that any Canadian team would make it into the final, and would tune in for sure. WPG plays an exciting game with lots of star power.

Exactly. I would love if Winnipeg would go all the way and even win. Not only would that be the first Canadian cup in 25 years but it would be by a ''small market''.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
This is one of those things where the playoff format may come back to bite in terms of US ratings.

A Crosby/Ovechkin East Finals is no longer possible, and it's a dissapointment considering the first year of the celebrated 1-8 playoff format, we got a conference final so legendary, it had a book written about it.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
They're going to give them a bigger one.
Meh, NBA is a top heavy league. If by some miracle the Atlanta Hawks ever battled the Utah Jazz in the finals, it would lose drastic viewer ratings. ESPN's TV deal with the NBA looks awful now considering what NBC is paying the NHL and only getting at most 2-3 times the viewership.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Meh, NBA is a top heavy league. If by some miracle the Atlanta Hawks ever battled the Utah Jazz in the finals, it would lose drastic viewer ratings. ESPN's TV deal with the NBA looks awful now considering what NBC is paying the NHL and only getting at most 2-3 times the viewership.
But they are still making money and will make more the next time. You need to stop with the excuses and admit the NHL has a horrible marketing department which has done a terrible job expanding the game and still cannot connect to minorities in america for the most part

Reactions: powerstuck

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
But they are still making money and will make more the next time. You need to stop with the excuses and admit the NHL has a horrible marketing department which has done a terrible job expanding the game and still cannot connect to minorities in america for the most part
I am not trying to defend the NHL at all, I'm just saying that the NBA deal looks bad for ESPN which was a factor (of many) in Disney cutting jobs from the studio. Of course I agree with you that the NHL marketing team is beyond dreadful. I remember eating at a restaurant one time which had a commercial for NBA's game of the night and it was so awesome and rad I wish NHL had the balls to make one...

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
meh,

imo with the NHL, if there is a market that doesn't give top ratings, then it is a market that will grow their fanbase by going deep in the playoffs. So even if the short term cash will be less, it will be a good investment for the future. This would apply to teams like Vegas, Dallas, St.Louis, Columbus, Nashville, Florida, and others.

Maybe a team like Winnipeg is small-ish and doesn't have much growth potential either. But by the same token, one could argue that Ottawa, Edmonton, and Calgary are also in that same boat, and so if the league doesn't like those teams from a ratings/growth angle then overall this year is a net positive compared to last year since all three are out.

Reactions: S E P H

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
I am not trying to defend the NHL at all, I'm just saying that the NBA deal looks bad for ESPN which was a factor (of many) in Disney cutting jobs from the studio. Of course I agree with you that the NHL marketing team is beyond dreadful. I remember eating at a restaurant one time which had a commercial for NBA's game of the night and it was so awesome and rad I wish NHL had the balls to make one...

The old boys in this league and establishment would never allow something like this to happen.

Bumpus

Shhh ...
Mar 4, 2008
WV
Higher ratings mean more money. So not only does it matter, it's critical. This attitude is why hockey gets outgrown by ping pong.
You're funny.

First it was Family Guy re-runs, now ping pong?

Clearly the league should just fold. That way we can all avoid the humiliation of losing to the World Invitational Underwater BB Stacking Championship on the Ocho.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Idk I'm pretty interested in the playoffs this year. Tampa / the pens are both powerhouses. Plus boston if healthy will be good too. Not really interested in any of the teams in the west but Vegas is a good story

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Literally nobody cares about the bruins outside of Boston. They are not the Red Sox or patriots.

I care about them. I've hated that team since I was a child, watching Orr and Espo. What they do now is spectacular and terrible as a fan of another team in their division. Great goalie? Check. Best 2-way line in hockey? Check. Deep, well-managed roster? Yep. Envious group of defensemen? Yeah, they have that too. (I'd add in the prospect pool that appears to be splitting at the seams but since this is about TV viewing, I'll leave that bit of envy aside.)

I am going to watch them. I may hate them, but damn if they aren't a power.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
I think people who watch Jets games will keep watching because they play an exciting style, and can really adapt to any style of opponent.

Jets vs Nashville would draw people in. It should anyway.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
One thing the NHL could do is knock off the off sides reviews and goalie interference reviews

It's made casual fans pretty turned off, I've witnessed first hand from folks I've gotten into hockey over the last few years.

We need fast paced and high scoring games and people will watch regardless of the city

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
I care about them. I've hated that team since I was a child, watching Orr and Espo. What they do now is spectacular and terrible as a fan of another team in their division. Great goalie? Check. Best 2-way line in hockey? Check. Deep, well-managed roster? Yep. Envious group of defensemen? Yeah, they have that too. (I'd add in the prospect pool that appears to be splitting at the seams but since this is about TV viewing, I'll leave that bit of envy aside.)

I am going to watch them. I may hate them, but damn if they aren't a power.
Every original 6 team has a strong base in Canada.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
People that like/love hockey are going to watch no matter who plays.

Who cares how many others watch, I know I sure as heck don't.

I do not care about "growing the game", I just want to enjoy my hockey.

If others can't enjoy it no matter who is playing that's their loss.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
You're funny.

First it was Family Guy re-runs, now ping pong?

Clearly the league should just fold. That way we can all avoid the humiliation of losing to the World Invitational Underwater BB Stacking Championship on the Ocho.

Good one, the poster you quoted is talking like we're supposed to care how many other people are smart enough to enjoy the best sport in the universe.

Reactions: Bumpus

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
The whole no Canadian team thing Come playoff time is such a ridiculous, overblown argument.

Who cares about nations when watching the nhl? To the point of not watching playoff hockey which is one of the best tv shows you can watch. Every hockey fan knows this, it’s not as big of a deal as people say it is.

If it’s a problem then I’m sure the early regular season nap inducing blue jays games on the other channel will be must watch for those.

My team hasn’t made it since 2011 but I watch the first round religiously every year.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
This is one of those things where the playoff format may come back to bite in terms of US ratings.

A Crosby/Ovechkin East Finals is no longer possible, and it's a dissapointment considering the first year of the celebrated 1-8 playoff format, we got a conference final so legendary, it had a book written about it.

A Crosby VS Ovechkin east final was never anyway because that requires Washington get to the east final

Last edited:

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
Well good on y'all for worrying about the implications of the NHL's TV ratings. If its any consolation I'm sure the owners and execs can get by on B-minus yachts and who-ers just as well as B+ ones.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
I think lots of Canadians would tune in for Winnipeg.

I remember most people in BC watching/discussing the Oilers/Canes series despite most of us hating the Oilers. Hockey is hockey.

Last edited:

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Where’s the good story?

It would be the Canucks 2.0 without a riot.

When was the last time the jets went deep in the playoffs? Never? Imagine if they win the cup, and add in the fanbase losing the team for close to 20 years. The story writes itself.

I don't get the Canucks comparison at all. Winnipeg is a small, often overshdowed market that does not offend many people.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad