NHL has to be nervous about TV ratings for the 2018 Playoffs on both sides of border

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
To be honest I bet the NBC lights candles that Buffalo will get its **** together, they are a ratings juggernaut by NHL standards. Why do you think they get so many national games on NBCsports.

As one of those long-suffering fans, it may simply be that we're so starved to watch good hockey that we'll watch any hockey.

Also doesn't hurt to have had HNiC access via broadcast rather than cable while growing up.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
As a Leafs fan, I know there is 0% chance they'll make it that far this year but the ratings on a Leafs vs Jets or Leafs vs Knights would be insane.

Reactions: Saintb

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Absolutely not, no fan base in Canada wants another Canadian team to win it. Everyone will watch, but few actual hockey fans outside of their own fan base will be cheering for them.
If the Leafs are in the Finals this year against any American based team, I say the hate they will get from fans of other Canadian teams will be a lot worse than what we saw with the Canucks in 2011.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
People care about the ratings partly because better ratings should translate into a better TV deal and thus more revenue and a higher salary cap.
So your team can sign better players (in theory.)

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
The Penguins are like, a billion times more popular than the Pirates.

I know far more Pirate fans than Pens fans. Hockey is may be 4th or 5th most popular sport here in the U.S..

It may be close considering the Pens have been good recently, but if things were on an even playing field, (both good/both terrible) there are far more baseball fans in this area than hockey fans.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Still better than NBA where only 3-4 teams have a shot at winning..... but hey, at least every NBA team have 10 different uniforms, so the people watching on TV think it's new teams.

Nike + NBA = Moron Association :cool:
You sound ridiculous. And higher ratings matter. Especially when your sport is being outdrawn by family guy reruns.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
People care about the ratings partly because better ratings should translate into a better TV deal and thus more revenue and a higher salary cap.
So your team can sign better players (in theory.)
Not sure how you came to that conclusion.

Won't they just sign the same players but to bigger deals?

Considering the pool of players is exactly the same...

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
I think something like Florida-Colorado would be worse. Jets will draw the entire city, plus lots of casual Canadian fans (yes, less than other Canadian teams but hockey isn't big in some US cities).
If Florida makes the Finals, they will do well ratings wise in South Florida.

Don’t people understand how big population Miami Dade area has?

You can say South Florida is a lousy sports market but South Floridans flock wot watch Championship games.

dkhockey

May 27, 2007
Europe
You sound ridiculous. And higher ratings matter. Especially when your sport is being outdrawn by family guy reruns.
higher ratings do not matter...... the sport is not better because of high rating.
Just like when movie critics give movie high reviews, it is what the audience thinks that matter.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
higher ratings do not matter...... the sport is not better because of high rating.
Just like when movie critics give movie high reviews, it is what the audience thinks that matter.
Higher ratings mean more money. So not only does it matter, it's critical. This attitude is why hockey gets outgrown by ping pong.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
No New York teams, and no Chicago, it’s gonna be rough.
That's what happens when you pound down your stars.

In the NBA it would be OMG LeBron isn't going to make the playoffs????

In the NHL, it's some boring starless big market team is going to miss????? OMG!

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
That's what happens when you pound down your stars.

In the NBA it would be OMG LeBron isn't going to make the playoffs????

In the NHL, it's some boring starless big market team is going to miss????? OMG!

I honestly have no idea what you’re trying to say here.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
The Eastern matchups look pretty good right now, but the western ones look like ratings disasters, aside from maybe SJ/Anaheim (which has been done like every year for the last decade anyway)

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
I honestly have no idea what you’re trying to say here.

This is the only league where the value of their stars in the playoffs is ignored. Look at this thread. No mention of the talent that is going to miss. That's because the league has allowed its stars to be beaten down and not allowed to truly shine. I'm surprised Crosby is still playing considering the abuse he has taken over the years.

If the league protected its star players, then big markets wouldn't be such a need for good ratings. They don't, so...

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Eh, if a Canadian team makes it they'll have a lot of fairweather hockey fans hopping on the bandwagon. I was at Bonnaroo(Nashville) during the Canucks/Bruins series and they had a big tent with TV's and the place was packed every night with Canadians from all over the country cheering for the Canucks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad