NHL has a problem - Lack/style of scoring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
The reasons this shot is gone from the NHL are bigger goalies with bigger equipment.

Make the nets Bigger and make goalies have to make saves again.

This argument is all over the place. First of all, you have neglected to address any of the posts I made refuting this claim that the shot from the circles has apparently disappeared. And now you're trying to tie together equipment size with defensive shot suppression?

Oct 18, 2011
If you ask me tonight's Kings/Ducks game is a prime example of everything that's wrong with the current NHL. This game should have everything you want in a game, and it does except for chances and goals. Through two periods we only have 30 shots and one goal. I'm sorry, but if this is the best there is, the NHL is doomed.
that's the kings style, to put the opponents to sleep

RadimBicanek

Mar 5, 2014
Canada
I began watching NHL games in the mid-late 90s dead puck era, there was still much more clutching/grabbing, but no salary cap, so probably more discrepancy between talented and mediocre teams, which allowed for more goals scored in some games.

Last edited:

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
Since the "quality of goals" was also mentioned: I think European rink size would fix a lot of things. Over the past years I have only followed NHL hockey because it's obviously the best league in the world. But as I started watching DEL games more again this season, I really noticed that I like the way the game is played a lot more. It seems as though at least 3 of the 4 goals that are scored in the NHL are rebounds. Big part of the game, but not a nice and exciting one. With the creativity and skill that NHL players possess, games should be so much more entertaining on a bigger surface.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
It wasn't me, although I remember the thread. If you don't find it tonight, I'll take a look tomorrow.

Actually, I would like to hear your thoughts on the subject. I recall your amazing work on goalie consistency so I'm sure you have some interesting insight on the subject.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Since the "quality of goals" was also mentioned: I think European rink size would fix a lot of things. Over the past years I have only followed NHL hockey because it's obviously the best league in the world. But as I started watching DEL games more again this season, I really noticed that I like the way the game is played a lot more. It seems as though at least 3 of the 4 goals that are scored in the NHL are rebounds. Big part of the game, but not a nice and exciting one. With the creativity and skill that NHL players possess, games should be so much more entertaining on a bigger surface.

I always thought Olympic size ice will open the game, last 2 Olympics made me think otherwise. Seemed like it was MUCH easier for teams to simply chip the puck out of their own zone without having to make a good pass. ESPECIALLY on the penalty kill. With more blue-line to protect, seemed like Dmen were having a very hard time keeping plays alive. Maybe a few feet on each side would help, but I think euro/olympic would be too big. Maybe 5 extra feet, go 200x90 would help. 200x100 I think would be too big.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Here is what I find most interesting and telling about this discussion.

I have been floating the NHL has a problem here for a while on these boards. Two years ago, I got blasted by nearly every response. Last year, I would say about 20% of the responses saw a need for some type of a change. Now, it seems that almost every other post sees a need for change.

The NHL, if they were smart, should take notice. These boards aren't where "casual" fans come to post. These boards represent the core of the NHL fan base. When a customer base turns sour on a product, the mass exodus from that product happens overnight.

rintinw

Oct 9, 2014
Number of games with no powerplays
Season | 1 Team | Both teams
2014-15|28|0
2013-14|18|3
2012-13*|17*|1*
2011-12|31|1
2010-11|20|2
2009-10|12|1
2008-09|9|0
2007-08|7|0
2006-07|5|0
2005-06|1|0
2004-05|Lockout|Lockout
2003-04|8|0
2002-03|5|0
2001-02|8|1
2000-01|9|2
1999-00|8|1
1998-99|8|0
1997-98|8|0

You know the teams are finally disciplined enough ... :naughty:

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I remember shots taking place 10 years ago that would be saved nowadays. Iginla and Kovalchuck use to slap it down the wing from 20 ft away and score.

Is that bad though?

I can't speak for anybody but myself, but I don't want to see more easy goals. That does nothing for me in terms of enjoying the game. I want to see more back and forth, more chances being traded, and most of all I want to see skaters be able to wheel through the o-zone without being held or interfered with constantly.

Do we want higher quality of play or just more goals? They aren't the same thing IMO.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
boo hoo, not enough scoring. yet scoring is the same it has been recently. jesus, sorry, **** the casual fan, half the casual fans dont know the rules and dont help the league stay a float.

Actually, yeah they do. Casual fans help all professional leagues stay afloat. The problem with the NHL is that they think like you do, and they are losing TV ratings for it.

Remember, the NHL like all sports is a business in the entertainment industry, not an entity for purists to wet their pants thinking about the good ole' days.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Actually, yeah they do. Casual fans help all professional leagues stay afloat. The problem with the NHL is that they think like you do, and they are losing TV ratings for it.

Remember, the NHL like all sports is a business in the entertainment industry, not an entity for purists to wet their pants thinking about the good ole' days.

Why do people keep saying this? The NHL is led by a businessman. His single greatest interest is in the profitability of the league, not some image of how the game ought to be played. He's shown that time and time again. And increasing scoring, by the way, was an item at the GMs' meeting.

Rest assured that if there is a reasonable change that can be easily implemented and will make the game more profitable, then that change will happen, whether people like me like it or not.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Why do people keep saying this? The NHL is led by a businessman. His single greatest interest is in the profitability of the league, not some image of how the game ought to be played. He's shown that time and time again. And increasing scoring, by the way, was an item at the GMs' meeting.

Rest assured that if there is a reasonable change that can be easily implemented and will make the game more profitable, then that change will happen, whether people like me like it or not.

:laugh:

Yeah, 3-on-3 overtime and visitors putting their sticks down first in the faceoff dot is going to REALLY open things up! :laugh:

These GMs always dance around the real problems with the league. They want to turn the league into a sludgefest because it negates talent and keeps games closer, which in turn gives the GMs themselves more job security.

As for Bettman, he talks a good talk, but rarely walks a good walk on these matters.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Is that bad though?

I can't speak for anybody but myself, but I don't want to see more easy goals. That does nothing for me in terms of enjoying the game. I want to see more back and forth, more chances being traded, and most of all I want to see skaters be able to wheel through the o-zone without being held or interfered with constantly.

Do we want higher quality of play or just more goals? They aren't the same thing IMO.

The idea is that we would raise the difficulty of the position of goalie specifically that it would take a goalie of greater talent (NOT SKILL) to stop an unscreened Alex Ovechkin wrist shot from the top of the circles off the rush. Would you call that a boring goal? I wouldn't. But that's a pretty routine save these days unless a goalie is off his angle or his positioning is off.

By talent I mean natural ability- reflexes, agility, awareness/vision, quickness, and athleticism, not years and years of working on angles and positioning which is more of a 'skill'.

Goaltending seems focused more on skill than talent these days. The difference between average and 'elite' (top 3 in the league) should be greater in my opinion and if we return to a more talent based goalie than a skill based goalie I think we will begin to see the elite talents begin to separate themselves more from the pack.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
The 2-0 Devils/Pens game last night was a snorefest.

That game was the perfect example of what can go wrong when the refs refuse to call penalties. The Devils played 40-50 minutes of prevent defense without getting called for a single penalty (and believe me they earned at least a couple), and it made for awful viewing.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
That game was the perfect example of what can go wrong when the refs refuse to call penalties. The Devils played 40-50 minutes of prevent defense without getting called for a single penalty (and believe me they earned at least a couple), and it made for awful viewing.

Shouldn't the Devils be in full-on tank mode? :laugh:

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
The idea is that we would raise the difficulty of the position of goalie specifically that it would take a goalie of greater talent (NOT SKILL) to stop an unscreened Alex Ovechkin wrist shot from the top of the circles off the rush. Would you call that a boring goal? I wouldn't. But that's a pretty routine save these days unless a goalie is off his angle or his positioning is off.

By talent I mean natural ability- reflexes, agility, awareness/vision, quickness, and athleticism, not years and years of working on angles and positioning which is more of a 'skill'.

Goaltending seems focused more on skill than talent these days. The difference between average and 'elite' (top 3 in the league) should be greater in my opinion and if we return to a more talent based goalie than a skill based goalie I think we will begin to see the elite talents begin to separate themselves more from the pack.

From the top of the circles? Yeah, I personally would consider that a boring/weak goal.

I see what you're saying with all this, but I don't think this is the main problem with the current game. Again, I want to see the game flow back and forth more. I don't want to see higher numbers on the scoreboard at the end of the night in and of itself - that does nothing for me.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
If the Rangers and Blackhawks play in the SCF and those games are like the 2 they've played this season, HF might explode

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Is that bad though?

I actually think more goals is better for the game.

I remember the Flames stifled under Brent Sutter. Down by a few goals already in the first? Just turn the TV off because you knew the team wasn't going to claw their way back.

The Flames under Hartley is about more chances and its a lot more entertaining, however, I'll assume watching exciting plays in front of a brick wall gets boring quickly. Good thing the Flames can score.

On the flip side, fans don't want to see every rush become a goal. They would then know their team cant hold down leads. Not only must there be a degree of uncertainty to make things entertaining, there must also be certainty.

Some teams will always be defensive if they don't have the offensive talent (due to concerns of league parity), but the league has always needed to continually implement changes to keep the audiences captivated.

If we know the issue is at the goalie position, then the solution is at the goalie position.

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
As someone who has watched the NHL religiously for 25 years, I don't care to put on the games or even highlights anymore. I guess that's because highlights don't really exist, a weak wrist shot without any traffic should never be a "highlight" but plays like that are starting to make the package because no real excitement happens anymore.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
NHL execs are stupid for thinking that if they change the rules it'll make the game more exciting. Coaches will always adjust to rule changes and do whatever it takes to win, whether that requires clogging up the neutral zone with a defensive system, or blocking shots, etc,. The NHL can never be like the NBA in terms of scoring so stop trying to move it in that direction.

Maybe I'm old school but I still prefer pre-lockout (2004/05) to the product we see today. Scoring isn't everything, and there was just a lot more going on in between goals during that era than there is now. Now its just open ice and a speed skating competition back and forth. The guys I used to admire for their grittiness and skill have been replaced with small speedsters with skill that would be knocked back to their prepubescent years had they played in that era. Oh well, the NHL is a business and they will pander to the people they don't have as customers yet, rather than the folks who have been watching the game for time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad